You got the blues? (give 'em to me)

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by torchy, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I love playing the blues, everytime I sit down to jam I always make sure we do at least one blues jam. So I was looking through my music today to see if I could vibe to something bluesy that I haven't heard in a while for some inspiration, but I've been listening to these same CD's for days on end so I need something new. Does anyone have any recommendations? I really dig Buddy Guy's late 60's work, "I Left My Blues In San Francisco" is one of my favorite albums, I also really like the dancey, country-blues tunes the Allman Brothers used to dish out and listening to King and Clapton on "Riding With the King" is a fucking psychedelic experience in and of itself.

2. the blues is what keeps me goin! can you download music? try getting ahold of some Howlin' Wolf. That man has soul in his voice. My favorite is his cover of Red Rooster. Check out John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters.... and if you're into just guitar and vocals, the stuff that started it all... check out Robert Johnson, and Blind Blake. If you're looking for more lemme know.

3. Check out Widespread Panic. They're a southern bluesy-jazz jam band that tour around the states pretty much year 'round. I love 'em!

4. i fully endorse all the other artists mentioned but the Butterfield Blues Band is the best intergrated, chicago electric, semi-psychedelic blues from the mid 60's. Best shit ever. check out the songs 'work song' and 'east-west' specificly. Actually don't do that, you'll be disapointed when you hear the rest of their songs. Its not that all the other songs suck, far from it. Its just that those two songs are extremely prolific. The song 'east-west' is just mind blowing, especially when you put it into the context of the music of the times. It was at least a full year before Surrealistic Pillows, Days of Future Passed, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Strange Days, Disraeli Gears, etc. Hell the Grateful Dead were still just playing traditional folk songs. Listen to East-West the album, I hope you get the same feeling that i got when i listened to it for the first time.

old John Mayall (not Mayer!) is some good english blues. Clapton was their guitarist for the first album. Yardbirds were innovative too, with Clapton on lead and then Jeff Beck replacing him when he joined John Mayall and the Blues Breakers from which he departed to help form Cream.

In the same vein as Widespread Panic, there is Umphreys Mcgee who i saw live and were fuckin amazing. They are pretty ecclectic with a range of classic rock to free jazz to hiphop. little bit a blues but not really.

5. lol. not blues at all.

widespread panic isnt really blues either. you can hear some blues influences, i guess, but they arent blues.

6. yup only brought them up since andypl mentioned WP