You are given two paths which do you choose?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by NoExistence, Dec 29, 2010.

1. The Path of pure happiness?
    This path leads straight to the end of this existence. In this path all there is is pure happiness no fear no hate no knowledge of anything else other than just feeling every joy. You forget everything of this world, who you are, your friends, your name, your own body, Everything, Nothing is known here but pure joy and ecstasy.

The path of suffering and fear
    This path you will endure all the horrors of the world. You will feel pure suffering pure chaos pure hate corruption. You will know all the horrible thoughts that dwell in peoples heads. You will endure horror and pain. You will lose the loved ones you have yet you will have a sense of self knowing. You will be able to feel everything the world has to show you. You will be in pure hell. Yet you will have knowledge of your own self and feel all the affects the world has on you. You will feel happiness and then have it tooken straight from you. And you will have knowledge of everything outside of yourself.

Which path do you choose? What will be at the end of both paths? Will one have truth and pure heaven at the end. Or will one be end. Will you be rewarded for enduring the path of suffering and fear. And be punished for entering the path of pure happiness. Or will both be the same ending. Who knows. What do you think Adam and eve would have choosen?

Will you be curious and want to find out the secret ending or will you just want to stay in your shell and feel pure happiness and know nothing of your own body. Just be safe and sound and not know there even is an ending?

2. Should I answer as I am or should I answer how I want everyone to see me answer?

3. I wouldn't know which way it would be anyway.

4. Aren't the two paths the same anyway?

5. No not at all

6. The path of suffering and fear -Isnt this what lifes all about with a bit of happiness and joy thrown in now and then.

7. For it is the path of suffering that gives rise to the path of happiness.

8. Oh my goodness people. Pain and suffering are manufactured emotions due to our humanistic environment. The soul knows only joy.

9. Suffering and fear.
    If I beleived perfect ignorance was an acceptable price for perfect happiness I'd be a Christian.

10. Both have the same income and outcome,between those two is depending on what we define as happy or sad.

11. ^This.

12. I'm in the ladder of the two , and a very strong person because of it

Makes you more appreciative thinking in terms of what is achievable or not, and not to look too far in the future so you can't be disappointed

13. I make my own path.

life is not life without a combination of both.

14. i know the question is flawed but i choose to be happy anyway :)

15. #15 PilkyHigh, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
    I don't really understand the point in this. What is the benefit to suffering and pain? Having gone through it and so liberating your mind, freeing you to a state of joy? If the end result is joy - the same as what the first option is, then why would I not decide to go straight to that state of nirvana and skip the pain and suffering?

16. What is there to desire when all there is is pure joy and ecstasy? If I have no desire, I would do nothing but feel this joy. I don't know, it seems good, but I have to trade away myself for this... I must say I am very averted to "trading myself" for joy.

What I see here is power. If I go this route, I will know myself and thus have the power to change the world. If I was experiencing pure joy and didn't know anything outside of myself, I would be powerless to change anything.

The way I'm seeing it, the joy path would be nothing but joy. Sort of abstract, like not existing at all but just experiencing joy. Kind of like being a hermit and hiding away from the world IMO. The path of suffering and fear, knowing oneself, would be like trading the possibility to be eternally happy for the chance at changing the world.

The joy path definitely doesn't offer truth. Pure heaven from a hedonistic point of view, yes. I think the reward of the path of suffering and fear would be the chance to know yourself and to be able to interact with the world. I don't think there would be any punishments doled out.

What an epic question. If I had to guess, I would say that they chose the path of suffering and fear.

I'm curious, but being safe and sound is such a sweet deal. In the end, I have to go with the path of suffering and fear. It seems as if there is more to be gained from it. That is to say that, knowing oneself and understanding the world seems to be greater than just experiencing pure joy.

I think there is some insight to be gleaned from this question, but I'm not totally getting it. It's a pretty epic concept haha.

17. It seems for awhile as I read through your options that there is no difference between them, but on closer read the path of happiness is meaningless. You feel joy and happiness but have nothing to compare it to, and so take it for granted. At least with the other path, you can actually appreciate what little happiness you make available.

I still reject the premise of the poll, though. If I could simplify life like either of these two options, I would choose not to - that should be a third choice.

18. I should probably revise the the paths, But anyway i'd say that humanity in general walks somewhere in between both paths.

19. 9/10 times suffering is merely a figment of your imagination...

being that was said, i would choose the supposed suffering road.

20. Suffering, I have a proverbial hard on for knowledge. :hello: