Yo GC need Dirt Bike advice!

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by imyourcat, Aug 12, 2011.

1. True, but four strokes, especially models on the trail side need to be rebuilt less than two strokes. Although I know the YFZ 450 Quad four stroke usually needs to be rebuilt almost every season, so it really depends on the model. But I also have a couple Honda Quads from 1986 that have never been rebuilt.

2. YZF are four strokes. Dirtbikes can be a money pit, but it all depends on the mantaince you do on it, and with a used bike you have to take the chance that the owner may or may not have kept up with all the mantiance on the bike.

3. You could probably handle a 250. If you're just riding trails, the yamaha TTR series is built mostly for trails. The biggest bike ive ever ridden was a 650. Don't remember brand or anything, but it was a hoss. I could handle it though, just as long as I didn't get careless. It could stand straight up in any of the gears. I weighed 300 lbs at the time. Yes i'm a fatass.

Another thing to look at would be a sport quad. They're a blast to ride and you can find good ones for $2-4k

4. This guy^^ As long as the previous owner and you keep up with the maintenance, on a four stroke you should just be able to fill the gas tank and go.

5. Yeah, I dunno.

I'm stuck between a dirt bike and a sport quad. I was leaning towards a bike because I've never had one and I can take my parents Sportsman whenever I please.

What are some good sport quads out there? And what would be a good size for me?

6. Honda 400ex are good realiable quads, with good aftermarket parts and addons for them, stay away from any 450's unless your going to be track riding.

If you go look at that dirtbike, take someone who knows about them, they could save you alot of money.

7. #27 Goinggreen420, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I can't really recommend much with sport quads. Suzuki, honda, yamaha are all good brands. The raptor 660 or 700 is an all purpose sport quad. Great for woods and trails but not.really the best for track racing.

As far as size goes, 400 and up. Maybe a yamaha warrior 350 would be an exception. Most guys can handle any size quad, it just depends on how much power you want.

Honda 400ex's are great quads.

8. Lol change of heart. Go for something around 400cc, can't go wrong with a Suzuki LTZ-400? I think thats the model. But stay away from any 450 race models, they get spendy quick......

9. Quads are alot of fun in the snow aswell, dirtbikes are harder to ride in deep snow.

10. Yeah, true.

That's another thing I like about quads, they're all-year-round.

I believe I'm having a change of heart and that Honda 400ex is sexy.

11. #32 Goinggreen420, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I vote quad. I personally prefer the bigass tire/mud scene. Yamaha grizzly 700, lift, 32" outlaw tires, itp rims, snorkle kit, clutch kit, radiator relocation kit= my dream toy

12. Quads are more versatile yes, throw some chains or some sheet metal screws in the tires and your good to go in snow or on the ice. Maybe you should get a snowmobile? Lol

13. The most fun you will ever have on an atv will be on a 1985-1986 Honda ATC 250R. Wicked fast machines that run for ever. Despite what many people say about them stability wise, they can go extremely fast with an experienced rider. Mine will spin the tires in 5th on dry road. At high speeds, you don't turn you slide and drift. Like I said the most fun ever. .

14. Haha na.

Never really cared for sledding. It's such a short season and it's so expensive.

I love taking my ATV out on the lake though. Endless donuts lol.

15. Not reading all this horse shit..

Get either a Suzuki RM250, Yamaha YZ 250, Honda CR 250, Kawasaki KX 250, or a KTM 250 SX..

Any 250 2 stroke is wicked, awesome power, you will not be dissapointed. Don't get a 250F 4 stroke of any kind, they are underpowered and not that fun for anyone. If you insist of getting a 4 stroke, atleast make sure its a 450F and even then, I'd still go with a 250 2 stroke.

16. I agree with all of the above. If you want a shit eating grin when your riding, then get a 250 2 stroke. a 125 would be fun but you would probably be ringing it's neck the whole time if you are riding trails and in deep sand or snow. Four strokes are more for track riding.

17. Yamaha still makes them. As does Suzuki, I believe, but they only sell them in Europe.

18. What would you recommend for a quad?

19. #40 056 kid, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2011

A Honda 250R three wheeler in either 1985 or 1986(the most bad ass motors) would be your best investment IMO.

You might have to wait around for a month but one will pop up that has not been abused for under 2,500. They are fast, reliable, strong, and FUN!!!!

Plus, a two stroke can be ported for the kind of riding you will be doing. They can be ported and piped to grunt on the trails, have a long power band, or have an explosive top end hit. The 85/86 trikes stock can keep up with all the 400 4 stroke quads, banshees, etc. Ported ones will run with 450s and other modified rigs in the same class. A friend of mine has a 330R with an extended swing arm that is nuts, absolutely nuts. .