yields - dwc vs. soil

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jeffCR, Dec 22, 2014.

1. First time grower and using soil for this grow.  Although I am already interested in moving to DWC grows.  I am curious how much of an increase in yield I would get by doing that.  Right now I have a 3x3 closet that I am running a 400w MH and a 600w HPS in a 48"x48"x80" grow tent.  I have read that you can get up to 1 gram/watt when you really know what you are doing.  I know there are so many variables that until I harvest I have no idea what my yield will be.  Although if anybody that has moved from soil to DWC could give me an idea of the percent increase of moving to DWC and also let me know if 1 gram/watt is realistic in soil I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Its possible to get a gram per watt either way. Some dont see any change in yield but the plant will finish a week or 2 earlier than dirt. Some just refuse to leave their dirt for flavor....thats me

3. #3 Give me wings, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
    In my experience dwc is better in every way. Faster growth thru veg ,bloom,and ripening. better trichrome production,better taste better smell better yield. It is also more work and easier to mess up. Really every morning you need to check ph and once every two weeks completely clean and change water and scrub the res, specially if you are going to try teas or organic fertilizers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. #4 Errly Bird, Dec 23, 2014
    Seems like dwc reduces trich production and reduces smell and flavor. Dwc is for faster growing and just being impatient. Soil grown will always leave you with amazing flavor and aromas. Spending an extra week or 2 is not long at all and very worth the rewards. And have you considered doing scrog in your area? You could fill your entire screen and saves you a ton of room vertically. Your yield will deff be impressive with that method and make your 1g a watt more reachable.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I love this discussion 😶
    You talking dwc straight up or with recirculating.. I am actually setting up a grow, same light, same tent "dirt vs dwc" non recirculating as we speak...
    Does the dirt get to use whatever to make it grow?

I am so open minded you should only think like me..

6. Since he was a beginner I was referring to basic "bubbling bucket" non recirculating dwc

7. I just ran two side by side grows. I did some non recirculating dwc and some batch 64 soilless mix. Bubba kush and sour kush. With the exception of an old huge bubba kush everything was better in the dwc. The only reason I don't exclusively run dwc is because it's more expensive and takes more effort... And no body cares about quality it seems.... Hydro will always be better than soil. It s the future . And areoponics are a step above hydro. It just requires a serious amount of attention.

8. #8 jeffCR, Dec 23, 2014
    First off I want to thank everybody for their input.  I think the most helpful info I got from all of you is that soil needs up to another 2 weeks of veg time for the same yield.  Since I prefer edibles and vaporizing over smoking, the aroma/flavor drawback doesn't matter that much to me.  I was just researching on veg time vs. yield and there appears to be a point where an extra week or 2 weeks of veg time will exponentially increase the yield.  Of course I also have to see how big my plants are going to be for each of the strains.  Lots of other variables to consider.  As for bubbling bucket vs. recirculating, yeah 'give me wings' is right in that I am just a beginner and you are talking over my head.

Once again thanks for everybody's input.  I just learned a lot within a couple of hours

9. No prob man and good luck! Hmu if you ever have any questions.

10. love your avatar.

11. Thanks man I'm like the chilliest guy ever too. I hope people don't think ima dick cause of it... I just thought that was hilarious.