yellowish-green color baby plants da 7

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by arthurchronic, Sep 22, 2010.

1. hey guys my little guys seem to have a yellowish-green color on the leaves, some of the tips are a little burnt, experiencing stunted growth, they are 7 days old.

lights 150 HPS/ two 45W CFLs

temps: 80-80F

humidity: 70%

they're still on the plastic cups where i planted the seeds at.

havent fed just watered since the compost has enough food in there (maybe too much?!?!)

i used all purpose organic compost PH 5.5 been moistening with tap water which has PH a little over neutral.

cant seem to figure out whats wrong. any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. ive done it before with organic compost before and its worked fine dont know whats wrong with this one.

also can you guys recomend some medium combination for when i transplant to the 1 galon pots??

i was gonna use the same compost mixed with air stones. dont know much about soil mixes would appreciate some feedback maybe theres some links or whatever

3. You know man, mine look like this sometime too but I believe its because I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest which is a little "hot" for seedlings. I try to mix in some "Light Warrior" (which is better for seedlings). Your soil isnt perfect but i dont think you have anything to worry about. I do however recommend using Ocean Forest/Light Warrior mix. It has worked very well for me.

4. Oh and also, I would recommend trying to start taking the humidity down. 70% will foster "bugs" and mold

5. thanks! yea i think its too hot like you said theyre starting to take a nice dark tone already :)

another question is the HPS too intense for the little guys should i use CFLs for a while longer? or is it fine if i just raise the light

this i what my set up looks right now, i went out and got a reflector kit

REFLECTOR KIT

6. First answer me this... Why are you using HPS for vegging? Yes it can be done but not optimal. I use straight CFL's for vegging and HPS for flowering. HPS is the wrong spectrum for vegging.

7. i know MHs and CFLs lean more towards the blue spectrum (around 5000k) which the plants like during vegging however there is not way CFLs veg faster than a 250W HPS, lost of growers will use HPS for 100% of the growth.

i dont know much but that i know. CFLs take a looong long time the lumen output doesnt compare. i got two 85W CFLs which i use for the seedling and cuttings they got a combined 7000 lumens? my 250W HPS 24,000 lumens. no way you will beat that.

8. I hear ya on all that but I use 6-26 watt cfl's. Im sure the HPS works fine just seems like overkill, especially with the wrong spectrum. save your bulb as they do wear out.

Check out this site for cheap CFL's. 1000bulbs.com

plus, there should be much less heat without the HPS...just saying

9. #10 arthurchronic, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
    agreed but its all i got. plus im willing to save on time rather than on the electricity bill, the only different between MH and HPS in the vegging stage is that with the HPS the internodal distance is a little longer meaning the plants stretch a little but its really insignificant in my case as i will dedicate the 250W for one plant at a time :) im sure i will get a bushy tree. i put in the two 85W CFLs in there to get a little blue just now you convinced me jejejeje

but for the record HPS for veg is damn good too, optimal is MH. im thikking maybe i should go out and get a metal halite bulb since my ballast works for both :)

10. If money isnt much of an issue, id get a MH. I have some turbo work done to my audi, it CAN run on 89 octane but 93 feels amazing

Either way you will make it to the end.. Good luck!!

11. you over ferted those baby,s ph should be 6.5 not 5.5
    and you need to flush

12. i knooow im freaking out!! the compost i got is too strong for them i shudve mixed it with inferted soil, ive been watering constantly! for two days

here's what the look like right now

Attached Files:

13. any thoughts on what i could do?