Years Old Seedlings

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stoneremo, Jul 11, 2016.

1. #1 stoneremo, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Just planted over 20 seeds atleast over 2 years old which have been stored in a plastic bag in an airtight jar.
    I soaked them over night in a glass of water and no roots came out, so I planted the seeds in 4 litre pots full of potting soil and plant food, will be implanting blood and bone too and I watered them. They are under one 3000 k cfl lamp, and I am still setting up the grow box, and will continue if they do sprout, will they grow with the one lamp or will I need more? and are there any ideas to help me? The grow box is in a closet and is currently at 19 degrees and is still warming up, I have a fan in there and a clock and thermometer. I have smaller pots and etc. Hoping they grow because I wont be able to gain seeds for another couple of weeks. 20160711_151925[1].jpg 20160711_151931[1].jpg

2. 2 year old seeds are young seeds, I have 10 year old seed which germinate just fine. But soaking them is not helpful. They require a lot of oxygen so drowned very easily. Lightly dampened soil is perfect start for a seed. Being under water is not. But they still might be ok, they will take anywhere from 24 hours to maybe a week to break the surface of the soil. They should be positioned near the surface and a piece of black plastic sheeting laid on top works really well. It warms up the soil from the light and creates a very humid environment while preventing the soil from drying out too fast.

3000Kelvin is just the colour, what wattage is it? If you're using small wattage bulbs like 20w ones, you really could do with one per plant, but as you have 20 plants, this isn't very practical. If you have to use CFLs then it's a case of using as many as you can. Will you be using bigger lights when flowering the plants? If you are sticking to CFLs then you may want to pick the best 4 plants and just grow them. Then once you know the sex of them, pick your best female and just finish the one. Otherwise you will need a ton of CFLs and its just a huge waste of electricity

• Like Like x 2
  3. I soak mine 24hrs 1st....tomatoes tomatos i gues...

• Like Like x 1
  4. I soak mine up to 3 days, they pretty much always throw a root in the water within three days, they don't drown in that time. I used to use paper towels but i find it's not really needed, the cup of water always does it for me but i know it doesn't work for everyone.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Yeah dude awesome, I might have drowned them then. But I have a 3200 and I will be picking one once i find out the sexes. The strongest female and i will trainwreck her.

6. Do yourself a big favor and go to the beginner grower threads on the "forums" page and read the "sticky's" posted there. These posts contain the VITAL information you need to know to start these plants and keep them alive to get a harvest. Chances are, yours are already fried if they do sprout because you've apparently loaded up the soil you planted them in with a bunch of fertilizer. When a plant sprouts, it's tender and new and doesn't need and can't take a bunch of fertilizer. You don't start this and then try to figure out the process...if you're smart. You do the research and get a grip on how it's done before so you're not lost every day, all day. You've got to get a line on the basics of how to do this and it's too much for any one person to sit here and write down for you when it's already recorded here over and over and over again. But...if I were you, I would get those seeds into some regular soil not super energized with stuff that can burn your plant to a crisp. You actually don't need any nutrients to speak of other than what is naturally in the soil until WAY on down the line if the soil you're using is of any quality at all. The thing you DO need is decent drainage and your soil looks like it is way way too wet. Perlite 60/40 soil/perlite ratio. Please read what I suggested. It will only help. TWW

• Like Like x 5
  7. 3 days under water?! Mine look like this in 3 days lol

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. You have 3200 seeds?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Only had one go more than two days. The other all got roots in a day or two. They don't die in three days in water. It's misinformation.

10. They can do, I've seen people do it plenty of times. There is absolutely no point at all to soaking them. Putting them straight in to the soil will have them breaking surface in 24-48 hours. So if you soak them for even one day, you will be a day behind. Fresh seeds are pretty tough, but try germinating older or weaker seeds and they won't survive soaking. There's just no point risking it

• Like Like x 1
  11. So far there hasn't really been any risk. The one i dropped straight into soil took 5 days to come up. I'm not a pro but that's one day longer than any seed i've done in a cup of water. Fact is there's just so many ways that work and work well. Soil worked perfectly it's within a day of the water method, takes the same time roughly. Paper towel worked perfectly too. So far every way i've tried was perfect. One single seed didn't throw a root and it was in a paper towel. I'm not knocking your method, just saying it's not the only good one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah thanks, well I have done hours of research and have started and finished a grow before, I am just ghetto xP But the seeds didn't make it for some reason, maybe you're right. I have resoiled the pots and am now waiting for some new seeds, I have moved to another state and need a new dealer so may take a while. Either way, happy smoking! Cheers <3

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bahqhah how do you do it?!??! XD

• Like Like x 1
  14. A 3200 k bulb XD No problem XD <3

• Like Like x 1
  15. From what I've read any tactic works, I just prefer to drop them in a glass of water because I like to know if the roots are out or not by the time I put them in xP

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'll try differant types of tactics on each seed next time, but thanks man, ill try and get some months old seeds next time that have been looked after,SWIM knows a dude up here who grows a fuck load of shit.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I totally agree that there are lots of ways of doing it, but some ways are better than other ways and I have seen many people on here drowning their seeds and asking why they aren't growing. That's why I recommend people don't submerge them in water. I put seeds directly in soil and 24-48 hours later it's showing leaves and soaking up the light. Meanwhile, if I had soaked them, even if they survive, they are still going to be seeds and I'm a day or two behind

• Like Like x 2
  18. I adjust the height of the light so I'm getting about 25°C at soil level. I give the soil a good watering with warm water, and push the seed in to the soil at a depth of the width of the seed itself. So basically it's sitting just below the surface. Then I take a black plastic sheet of polythene and place it over the soil. It doesn't have to cover the whole pot, but most of the soil should be covered. Just leave it flat on top of the soil. The plastic keeps the surface of the soil damp, and creates a greenhouse effect which will keep the soil warm. Lift the plastic off after 24 hours, if it's not hatched, replace it and check on it later on in the day

It has the same effect as soaking it in water except it provides it with oxygen too so it can grow, it also provides it with more heat so it grows faster, and of course when the tap root comes out, it's right there in the soil already

• Like Like x 2
  19. Awesome, you a mmj grower? Sounds fucking pro XD
    Does this recreate the effect of those germination machines they sell for like 200 bucks?

20. soak in water >>> in soil >>> paper towel method, IMO

Paper towel method takes too long and germinating in soil is unreliable and has lead to me losing many seeds (tried digging them out when they hadn't sprouted in 2 weeks but couldn't find anything). Now, I soak mine in water for 48 hours under my grow lights and they've all sprouted perfectly. Regardless of how much the seeds have cracked open, after 48 hours, I put them in soil. I actually have an issue now of having too many viable plants and too little space.

I germed a bunch of regular seeds in water after several of the seeds I'd thrown in soil failed to materialize, thinking that some would end up being male. Well, they're all extremely healthy females. I've topped and defoliated and supercropped but nothing seems to slow them down for more than a day.

• Like Like x 1