Year Round Greenhouse Grow Possible?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Caprican, Jan 2, 2010.

1. I've seen alot of grow journals, but havn't seen anyone talk about growing in an outdoor greenhouse out of season - Anybody do this, or know anything about it? Do you think I'd have to use supplementary lights o ge them through veg, or just go straight into flowering from seed?

Would the plants get enough light if the sides of the greenhouse are opaque?

I'm in northern california so its kinda cold, how much would a greenhouse raise the temp do you think?

2. To begin, I have no experience growing pot at latitudes higher than the tropic of cancer. Here, there is only about 2 hrs. difference in daylight between the two solstices...about 14 hrs. in summer and 12 hrs in winter. That being said, I still use artificial light to vegetate my plants that I put out to flower in winter because the few "volunteers" that have grown under natural light during the fall only got to about a foot tall. They did make decent buds, but there wasn't very much.

With some passive heat collectors in your greenhouse, you should be able to keep temps high enough to prevent the plants from being stunted by cold (considering y'all don't have seriously frigid temps around SF).

I guess I didn't help much, but I am interested in how your plan will play out. Good luck.

3. Hey man I'm in southern California and I'm going to try to do a green house grow as well, but I'm going to make my green house(hopefully it works). I can't really answer any of your questions but I feel like with our mild winters we can get by. I usually keep up with the weather so if I know there's going to be a cold night I'll either bring my plants in, as long as they don't get to big or I've seen people put bed sheets or towls over there plants at night to keep the frost off them. Between the warmth of the green house and the sheets you should be ok. I'm not expecting a normal huge grow but at the verry least I'll have a female to clone when spring time comes around so I don't have to worry about males.

4. Thanks for the suggests OldSkool
    @itsagirl - Seems pretty simple to make one, I've been thinking about it too, let me know how it goes if you do it.

5. well man ive already started some seeds and i have one that sprouted hopefully i can get some pics up soon of my set up. Not complicated or clever at all its just in a clear like 10 quart tub with my seeds in plastic cups and then plastic wrap over the top of it. I want to find something with a tin foil bottom and a plastic top for it to hopefully reflect some more light onto the plants, but like i said maybe i can get some pics up today, just depends on how high i get.:smoking:

6. how high you get...? how high i get...just take the pictures

7. The only problem with that is you have to build the greenhouse before they outgrow the little greenhouse, and my experiance says that won't take long lol... good luck!

8. yeah man i hear that im planning on half assing the greenhouse the best i can with making it still workable. I have everything i need to make it so its just a matter of throwing it together and it shouldnt take long... i hope. Heres what ive started them in. I got a new container and all 4 seeds have sprouted so its moving quick and im going to have to make the green house within the next week im guessing. These little container i bought work great ,it keeps the plants warm and it trap humidity. This is really just a trial and error kind of thing, so as it goes ill learn new things for next time. or it will be a huge waste of time.

Attached Files: