Xanax for sleep?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Revan, Dec 4, 2009.

1. I have terrible insomnia. There are some nights where I will just lay in bed with my eyes shut for 8 hours until it's time to wake up and restart the daily grind. It's killing me. I know it's connected to my Anxiety Disorder, I have racing thoughts and worries and simply can't shut my mind down long enough to drift off to sleep. I've tried Amitriptalyne(sp?), Ambien, Benadrly, all that shit and it all either makes me feel like shit when I wake up, or doesn't put me out at all (Benadryl ). The only effective med that I have tried so far is Xanax.

Tonight, I am typing this on 2mg of Xanax. One bar. I feel great, overwhelmed because I took so much but otherwise great. I'm not anxious, my thoughts aren't racing, and I feel like I could just tilt my head back right now and drift off to the best sleep of my life. Tomorrow night, I am going to try .5mg just before bed and see if it works out well enough.

Right now, I have a documented Anxiety Disorder and am on Paxil. It helps a LOT during the day, during social events and what have you, but not sleep. Should I bring this up to my Psychiatrist? Tell her that at night, I simply can't stop my mind from racing and all the worries? I'm afraid she might give me another sleeping med which all seem to make me feel like shit the next day. Would she be inclined to prescribe a small dose of Xanax before bed as needed, is it common? I'm just afraid that even if I'm subtle about it, I could be marked as a drug seeker, which is why I need your guys' advice.

Thank you in advance for your time, karma to you.

2. Well, if you have an anxiety disorder I don't see how you're not already prescribed xanax. I'm documented for chronic insomnia and they kept putting me on shitty sleeping meds and just like you, the only thing that really worked was xanax. I learned that I couldn't get a script of xanax unless I had anxiety disorder.

So, you should go see your doctor or whatever it is and tell them you're having panic attacks that are affecting you severely in daily activities. You should get a script of xanax in no time.

3. Will do, I'm scheduling an appointment asap. Thanks a lot man.

4. Yep.

Make sure you know your shit about panic attacks. Oh, and make it seem like your panic attacks are no joke.