WS* Mahoney Reperc (Removable perc)

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by majek, Dec 29, 2010.

1. I've been looking around on the web for affordable glass that is decent quality. I just can't see myself spending $200+ on a high-end bong. Glass is glass and I'd be devistated if I bought a sexy RooR and dropped it lol.

There are many glass blowers out there who make bongs, most of them use thin glass and work them too much which results in weak joints/air bubbles and a bad product. This was my experience with my current Zong, it looks beautiful but for functionaility it drags and the glass is very thin. I've owned it for 2 years I'm suprised it didn't break.

Some blowers claim to make affordable glass that compares to the best high-end companies like RooR and Toro. Weed Star makes these claims so I decided to check them out...

From what I've read, their new WS line is better quality and they are closing the gap between the higher-end companies. Some say Weedstar is a ripoff brand, that they steal other artists work and reproduce it for cheaper. Others live by WS*, they say their glass is very durable and compares to the best.

I've seen pics of the Molino mad scientist and the WS* mad professor, they do look identical but IMO you can't really steal a bong style, they all look the same lol. Plus those countries don't have the same patent laws as the US, so you can get away with stealing pretty much anyones design and use a different name.

I looked around on their site and the WS series bongs all look alike except for a few. The first one that cought my eye was the Mahoney Hyper Reperc, most perc bongs are $200+, and this one is under $100! Was I dreaming?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Percs are hard to clean, so when I saw this one the first thing that came to mind was "removable perc! kewl", the second thing was "I wonder if it leaks". I found a few vids on youtube and it doesn't seem to leak, but maybe they were just lucky. Judge for yourself:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi6N2-7l9vY"]YouTube - Weed Star Mahony Reperc Slow Motion Hit 120 fps[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKK9dpRnLeU"]YouTube - Weed Star Mahony Reperc Bong Hits[/ame]

I was convinced so I picked one up for $73.93 along with a few 18.8 bowls and a steamroller to complete my collection. I ordered them from EDIT, I had no idea grasscity sold weedstar at the time -_- now I wish I went through this site but its too late now.

At least if the perc breaks or leaks I can buy a new one for $10 instead of replacing the entire bong. And the downstem is diffused so I can always take the perc out and still get the same effect. Amirite?

What are your thoughts? I've never smoked out of weedstar glass so I wouldn't know, but it seems like a great value for the price.

2. #2 Hydroriffic, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
    Imo that whole design is pointless. Plus closed end trees equals drag... its just something they put in the bong to make it sell. Thick glass from weed star doesnt mean shit.

3. #3 DD19, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    If anything a removable perc is MORE breakable. High end glass is a thing of it's own man, if you can't afford it: there isn't anything like it you can afford. I'd say look for something with reinforced percs...

I hate to say it but if you want anything actually high end you're going to need more like $300.

Weed star is low end, buy local (non chinese) glass if your looking for something decent. With actual high end companies the glass is in NO WAY less functional because it is worked. That is just silly. Zongs are low end, thats why you encountered that.

4. I have a WS* bong. It's okay. I like it, but I can tell it's thin and the craftsmanship isn't on par with other brands. However, I payed $75 so it was a great deal. As far as the one you ordered, ehhh, probably not the best buy. I'm very against closed tree percs, especially a removable perc. You woulda been better off picking up a simple no thrills 5 or 7mm for the same price.

5. #5 majek, Dec 29, 2010
    I knew you guys would say that lol. It's not that I can't afford a $300 bong, but it can still break it doesnt matter how thick (unless its an incredibowl lol). If this one breaks I can always buy a new one, but its 5mm thick and I'm not clumsy I don't think it will break.

I just found this video where the maker says he is going to make open tree percs in the future, he also throws the bong on the floor and it doesn't break haha

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxknrV8YJ4]YouTube - Weedstar Messias illusion perc Vs. Mahony reperc[/ame]

6. Which one do you own? mine was $75 too

7. #7 Jumbo, Dec 29, 2010
    \ i have a weedstar inline and ive had it for over a year now no problems...

8. why would you consider a bong with a removable perc?

9. #9 kliff2004, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
    Its a shame that you said, WS compares itself to RooR. Cause it doesnt.

That being said. WHen you mentioned the thing about patent laws. As correct as you are, what you are not aware of is that no bong artist makes patents for there models anyway. So patent's have nothing to do with bong designs in the first place. People just like shitting there pants cause they spent 300 bucks on a bong, and we get something that looks similar for 1/3 the price, but also 1/3 the quality.

I own alot of weed star pieces and I can tell you, you will be happy with whatever you buy. Because you think just like me.

I currently have NO weedstar piece cause they all broke in one single freak accident. Which is the exact reason why Im glad they were WS piece. It would have broken regardless of the brand. so I lost 200 bucks instead of 500+

So I say buy whatever you want from weed star. Most WS pieces only come with open perc's now. SO ask before you buy just to make sure incase you actually care.

Most people here shit their pants over drag. but for me I dont care.

this. Just dont drop it or let anything heavy hit it. They can survive some decent falls but dont expect them too. My friend had a messiah illusion double perc just like me. and broke his in three days cause he knocked it over on the floor. Mine broke cause something fell off a shelf and landed on it. Something heavy -.-

10. Pickup a 7mm molino tube on gc.. They seem to be nice and alot of people like them for the price.. My buddies prolly going to buy one cuz we're moving to tulsa soon and i'm picking up a nice perc'd bubbler from dwb when i can figure out the specs i want it to be..

11. after the whole DWB thing on the forum a few weeks ago, people sure do talk about them alot.

I hope people actually go through with what they say. SO far I've only seen 2 new orders put up for them, and they've been there a while.

I talked to drew about if they made diffusers, and he said they do, and they will be adding new stuff "this week" to show their diffusers.

As far as the Molino goes. Those are well made simple tubes. Which I would go for in the event you dont think you will be using that Perc much. If you have your heart set on the starting with a perc bong, I would still with WS for a first buy.

12. I'm just stating this fact and i'm not dissing on you but weedstar bongs are shit... Both the ones i owned started with a small crack and eventually broke weeks later.. They are very poorly made... But people have been very satisfied out of their work, I myself have not been and will never purchase another product from them unless its that weedstar epic precooler

13. Like their EPIC Pre-cooler? That was money well spent...

14. ..........well I do own the epic pre-cooler. it is money well spent.

any other sarcastic comments you want to make? Or would you like to talk like a mature rational adult?

15. The same EPIC you labelled a DRAGMONSTER?

Oh, that's right - you like drag.

My mistake.

16. #16 kliff2004, Dec 30, 2010
    So much for my offer for you to talk like a mature rational adult.

Ill refrain for being dragged to your level of expression.

Whether I called it a dragmonster or not isnt important. I still think its money will spent. Or you can spend 200 bucks more for a version with open ended perc's

But like i already stated to you OP.
    See, there are people that hate drag. And use drag as a way to detract from the quality of a piece. When in reality drag is only as important at you make it.
    Which is why people's personal opinions affect there perception of the quality of a piece.

And the drag wasent bad at all. Not like your even talking about the epic pre-cooler. I have a thread dedicated to my description of it though if your interested.

17. Is your EPIC the same pre-cooler which you now refrain from using?

Because if it is, then to inform people, that they will be "happy with whatever [weedstar] piece [they] buy" is rather misleading.

Was the term DRAGMONSTER supposed to be endearing?

18. #18 kliff2004, Dec 30, 2010
    quote me. Or stop saying I said something.

Thats why I already said, whether i said it or not is meaningless, cause I dont remember, and I doubt you have the libido to find my post and quote me. I dont remember ever saying I retired my piece either.

I already told him and you I dont care about drag. So its your job to keep my personal preference in mind when taking my opinion into account.

I.E. "this guy doesnt care about drag. But states there is some drag, but still feels its worth buying. I must now evaluate how I feel about drag before making this purchase"

I appreciate that you remember what I said that though. Feels good when people remember you.

19. #19 majek, Dec 30, 2010
    i know WS* doesn't compare to RooR or other high-end companies, but they are starting to close the gap. They are definately better than most of the local glass blowers in my area. Its not about being a fan of one brand or another, I just think $300 is a waste of money on a bong. The same reason I would never buy a Volcano when my $100 vape works just fine.

If you want unbreakable glass get an Incredibowl lol. When it comes to bongs, they can break I don't care how thick they are or who made them. I've smoked out of illadelph and roor glass and they are great but not so amazing to be worth $500. Glass is very cheap and easy to reproduce. You pay for the artists craftsmanship, but theres not much craftmanship in a bong, they are all the same.

If you want to spend a weeks wages on a smoking device more power to you. I just have more important things to buy like a new car lol. I'm not hating on the RooR owners out there, I'm just saying don't hate on the ws* owners

20. Exhibit A: