Wrinkled and droopy leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Alliterative Alligator, May 23, 2016.

1. So my seedlings have wrinkled leaves that are also drooping and are kinda deformed (pics at bottom). The plants are growing very fast and have green stems(which is a first for me), and green leaves. The only problem is that they look unhappy. Heres what Im thinking could be wrong...

-I'm using 2400k cfls so maybe the plants are unable to perform certain functions due to the incorrect spectrum
    -I'm using ffof soil so the issue could be Nit abundance
    -The lights have been fairly close so maybe heat stress and
    -I've been running them on irregular lighting schedules

Lmk what you think, they are 9 days old
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. interesting to see that. Growing 2 auto's..ak47 and white widow..4 23 w 6500k cfl's on each plant side by side in 4 gallon containers in pro mix organic soil with 30% perlite and 15% worm castings. Looking healthy, but white widow especially has had a twist/bend in it..the ak not as much. Was reading that it can be normal with early growth, as long as it keeps growing and looking otherwise healthy, it'll fix itself. I have my cfl's 3-4 inches away..i have a fan going on it constantly..temp's are upper 70's low 80's. I noticed early in the day, when humidity was higher, they looked better, more stern, then as it got hotter and 30% humidity outdoors (mine are inside), they didn't look as great.
    Btw, I closed the windows and boiled a full pot of water to raise the humidity earlier this afternoon.

Attached Files:

3. The soil was very dry so I watered them about 5hrs ago and they didn't perk back up. Idk what the problem is!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Thanks for replying. So weird how they twist. Mine are actually starting to curve at the tips. I have a feeling the humidity is a the main issue. They're so close to the lights, with dry air constantly blowing over them, highish ambient temps. I'll probably stick a humidifier next to them tmrw. Your seedlings are looking good! I've always wanted a big frosty ww cola

5. Mine sprouted last sunday, and since the soil was moist when I planted them a day earlier, I gave each about half a cup of water around the new sprout the next day..then a few drops 2 days later as the top of the soil (1inch down) was bone dry outside of the area I had watered the 2 previous times. So yesterday I poured 1500ml of water all around it until I saw a slight runoff in both. I didn't check runoff ph as I wasn't sure if it works in a pool ph testing tube since the water would be black to begin with. I know the 2 little waterings I gave it was tap water sitting out for a day. Before the real watering I gave it yesterday, I was able to check the ph of the tap water and it was 8.2 or slightly above. I lowered the gallon of water's ph to 6.2ish prior to watering. When I watered, the soil didn't bubble, but I heard a slight sizzle, so the soil may be a bit alkaline..mine contains lime in it as well, plus the 2 early mini waterings I gave it was evidently water that had a ph above 8..so it may be that.

6. Same, I had the lights too close. I was trying to slow vertical growth since they initially streched quite a bit outside. Ive always heard you can keep them within 1-3 inches but it gets too hot.

7. Its what I thought today too..the humidity....when they sprouted last sunday..we had snow and low 30's temp for Tuesday night as well...now the heat with low humidity has set in and it was in the 80's today and yesterday. They have ok color, I just didn't get why they looked kind of 'dry'..not droopy because the leaf is stern to the touch..they just looked like maybe it was dry heat...lights right above..while it feels ok to the hand, u can feel its warmer above the plant. Plus the fan going..drying things out more around a one week old growth...which needs higher humidity, is what I think is leading to the slight constant bend/twist. We'll see how they turn out in a week..it looks to have grown well since yesterday.

8. It's actually been pretty wet here but dry inside. I dont have a window screen so I can't open a window without a dozen different bugs getting in. Im gonna mist my plants rn and setup the humidifier tmrw. I hope its as simple as that. My tap water pH is around 9 so that could be another problem.

9. if you're watering straight with that water, yes that is high..i was surprised as well to see mine as high..tester goes to 8.3 and color seemed slightly darker, so maybe 8.5ish. Waiting for a digital ph meter to test runoff as well to get a better idea where the soil is at ph wise.

10. Yeah I need to start worrying about ph a bit more. I've been googling what the issue might be and Im now 90% sure that the wrinkling and twisting is from too much wind. Its apparently called wind burn. Certain strains are more tolerant to wind than others due to genetics. It would explain why your white widow (brazilian roots) is suffering more. Its probably genetically used to high humidity and gentle breezes. Idk what strain mine are but I guess they dont like strong winds lol. Im gonna raise the lights to about 3 inches and have the fan blowing above lights. And if you have a grow log I'd love to subscribe to it.

11. I read that in one article too..about windburn. I didn't think it was that as its on very low..but I have turned it off sporadically in the past couple days even though it is hot outside..seems to help a bit. I just keep it on as I read over and over that they like a gentle breeze. Im gonna move the fan farther away later today and angle it higher. Its aimed at the plants now so it can also help dry the soil a bit faster. My white widow and ak47 are both auto's..so they do have 20% ruderalis in them..not straight white widow or ak. will upload pics later and i'll create a journal. I'll post the link here for you when its done:)

12. #13 comet3289, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Actually the ak which was doing better the whole time is now the one wilting and looking down suddenly. Too many variables to figure out what it may be. I'll post a journal and maybe help others in the future:)

Attached Files:

13. Lol are you kidding? They're still green, just not perky. I'd test the runoff pH with your strips. Also if their containers are really large they might be getting overwatered. They look fine tbh. They can survive another week or two with their current problem. Mine are beyond droopy, they've started curling. I hope we can both fix our problems. Keep me updated.

14. I have a pool ph tester..it uses the phenol red liquid. I wasn't sure if testing runoff, as the water isn't clear, would work. i started a grow journal:)

15. Oh thats a good point. It wouldn't hurt to try. Btw they have some cheap and decent testers on amazon. I think my problem is pH because It started drooping more after I watered. And I just found out twisting and drooping are symtoms of pH problems...

16. its what I was leaning to as well with my plants. its not a major issue yet, but it can be later on for sure. Ph of the soil should be in the lower 6's preferably. Our tap water is for sure too high. Im thinking with a few waterings of lower ph water and if I add nutes eventually, they'll bring the soil lower which s higher than 6.3 now..as the 6.2 water sizzlea bit when poured on it. You can try to take a clump of soil from your pot and mix it with some water (ph 7) and start adding vinegar to the mixture..if it reacts then its an alkaline soil..if it reacts to baking soda then its acidic. That's what I read anyway:)

17. Huh, I didn't know that. Do you know about how much to add?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. roughly a cup of soil (preferably a bit deeper down) in two separate jugs..enough ph 7 water to make a wet/muddy mixture..let it sit for a while, then add vinegar to one mixture..i don't remember the exact amount..but pour slowly until a reaction might occur, maybe a cup?. If nothing..try the baking soda in the other jug..i didn't try that as I had a feeling it was alkaline soil, and tested vinegar first. but same concept, add baking soda until a reaction starts. Ive also seen where a red cabbage is used as the tester lol. At a dollar a pound for a head of cabbage..5$ is too much for a one time ph test lol:) I will be ordering a digital one along with a tds meter from amazon in the coming weeks.

19. I'll have to try that. I just tested the runoff and its about 5pH. So I guess 9pH water isn't gonna kill it. They seemed to perk back up today but they're still twisted