Would You Work For Mary Jane?

Discussion in 'General' started by crash3, Aug 14, 2008.

1. idk since i spend almost all my money on weed anyway it could possibly work.

i could prolly just sell some for food money and drugs, or trade.

2. So instead of minimum wage you get shwag? And if you do a good job you get promoted to mids?

That wouldn't work at all, but it's a nice thought haha. Just think about getting $300 worth of weed a week...I don't know about you but that's a lot for me.

Imagine this...an eighth is about $20 for mids, and a decent job pays around $10 an hour. So every two hours you would be earning an eighth, and an average work day is 8 hours so that's 4 eighths a day, or a half ounce a day. Then you figure you're working 5 days a week, so that's 2.5 ounces a week. That's a lot.

3. #23 Chaohinon, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
    in America's formative years, hemp was used as currency. anything can be currency. There's no need for (and no law requiring that) the value of items be agreed upon at a national level. If you exchange an apple for a banana, and both participants are consenting, then the transaction is over. No need for pesky things like bills, bank accounts, etc.

And to concisely answer the question of whether weed, or anything else, can become a viable currency, think about our money. Not money in terms of what it can be exchanged for, but the physical money itself. Does it have the ability to heal, nourish, provide shelter, bolster knowledge, power your car, or satisfy any of a trillion other human wants/needs? It doesn't, but we all depend on and trust it as something that can lead people to those things. So there's no logical reason that hemp can't take its place (again), other than our own lack of imagination and sense of empowerment. It's also important (read: frightening) to consider that the Federal Reserve is probably the only corporation in the history of America that's been able to decrease the value of paper and cloth by printing on them.

Even in a highly digitalized society, it's never too late to step away from the line of thought that, "as long as I have some cash, I will always be able to eat," because there may come the day when there's no food to buy. In that case, a vegetable garden and a warm climate will be worth far more than a wad of worthless money.

4. #24 Bandelero, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
    I have done this, and I'm sure many others have as well. My friend will smoke be a bowl or two for picking him up, or for helping him move.

I know where the money would have gone anyways, it just saves me time ;)

I mean, my situation may not be an entire market, but I think the market could work, never would, but it could.

5. #25 Deleted member 87043, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008

So you´re saying trade is better than having a monetary system???

What if I want an apple and I have a banana, and you have an apple but you want an orange?? I´d have to go find someone who wants to trade an orange for a banana, cause if he doesn´t want my banana either then I´m screwed.

I´m not sayin money means I´ll be able to eat, but having money that can GROW is the same thing as printing money man. If I need a pound of weed to buy something but I only have half a pound, I can grow a pound and then go buy whatever it is I needed, thus decreasing the value of weed cause there is more of it. You´de have to go around raiding people who grow weed and burn it so it doesn´t lose it´s value...kinda where we are now.

You could say that since people smoke it, than it would even itself out. But what if people don´t smoke it??

It wouldn´t work in a million years...if there was some kind of catastrophe, then people might go back to trading, but it wouldn´t be forever cause having money, whatever it may be, is a whole lot better than trading.

Remember: You can have different kinds of currency...I think there´s the freedom dollar or something like that in the states.

6. It would never work. You would be able to grow your own money, which would decrease the value of the currency because it's so easily obtainable.

7. its not money, its ganja.. and I wasn't saying this was to replace "money" but as an alternative and something to fall back on if the value of the american dollar were ever to go to shit. Growing huge fields of marijuana and hemp can't be a bad thing, I mean with the fences they are putting up around the border they could just section off and dedicate entire states or sections of the country that are high in pollution and this would slowly help to heal the ozone right? to the production manufacturing, and shipment of hemp and ganja and offer all the illegal mexicans jobs to work in the ganja fields since they want to come across the border to work anyways. I'm sure if the government really wanted to they could genetically alter and make the green much more potent anyways i got off track a bit and forgot where I was going but instead of banks holding everyones moola, because you said what if it was schwag or what happens when it goes bad w/e the case, but what happens when you keep your ganja in a mason jar? It definately doesnt just go to shit and it definately doesn't decrease in value, it becomes MORE POTENT, just as the longer you leave your MONEY in the BANK, eventually you will have MORE MONEY.

lol sorry I got lost in thought a few times there

Im blazed.

8. No I wouldnt, because then I would have to work twice as much in order to sell it to get money to pay my bills. I'd rather just have the cash to decide.

9. withoubt money there would e no bills (isn't money referred to as bills?)
    so let me get this straight we work, so we can recieve money,(bills) but we have to pay back our money to someone else so they give us something but they pay their money can pay someone else but every "month" which is 30 "days" which is literally just time.

It seems like a pointless repetitive motion we go through for the rest of our lives just to make enough money to survive
    So we basically live to survive, but surviving is not literally "surviving" it is making enough money to pay for things we need to survive, but why do we have to throw all this money around just for these things that we create in the first place?

If we as a civillization really want to progress we will progress. We have strayed so far from the basics of life I don't think we are even ready for it because we dont even know the meaning of life or how to even live together in peace without self distructing as a whole.
    We are more worried about building fences around our borders from other humans so we can keep them out of our "country" but weren't all these countries together at one point in a pangea? Aren't these humans as well? Shouldn't we be working together not against each other for whatever it is we see that needs to be done?

Idk just some more rambling lost somewhere in consciousness :hippie:

10. Yes in a perfect world, but we don't live in a perfect world. And in order to survive in this world you have to have some source of income to pay for the necessities of life.

11. Why?

haha I love that word.:hello:

12. money doesn't grow on trees, weed does, why work for something you can grow?

13. If it work legal and you could go to the store, then you technically would be working for it. Its just a little indirect. LEGALIZE!

14. I babysit my older cousin's daughter and every week I get an O of some mids

15. 1g/hr full 28 hrs you get an ounce. how nice is that?

16. Just remember that money isn´t really worth anything, it´s just what people accorded on to make trading a whole lot easier.

I stick by my idea that anything that grows or lives shouldn´t be money.

17. Wait. So instead of people getting paid in cotton bills.
    They'd be getting paid in another plant?

Thats like paying nonsmokers in ciggs. Why would I even want to have them on me?
    Why would my mom want to have weed on her when she thinks its the devil?
    At that point, you're going to have many people who have something against weed who will be totally broke because they refuse to look at, smell like or handle their "money".

I say get rid of the concept of money all together, this way jobs, housing, food and new technology is readily available, cause theres no cost holding people back. And with all those new jobs, you wouldn't have to worry about 8 hour days... maybe only 3 hour days, since there would be so many employees.
    But then people would have to learn about togetherness and teamwork and sacrificing a little of their free time to keep our markets and water and electricity going...
    Even if that meant they got whatever they wanted for free, people are too selfish to do something like that.

18. Pangea is debatable. I think the growing earth theory looks more believable.
    The thought that all of our landmasses started at one side of the world, and then moved to another without breating any other major landmasses from the moving earth under the ocean is just silly to me.

Don't want to derail the topic tho.