Would You Recommend Phototrons (Seen in High Times)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JuicyJBB, Nov 24, 2007.

1. I don't personally have any experience with those grow systems. I have seen them for the last 20 years or so in High Tmes though. It seems to me that space may be an issue in one of those setups. Also, the price is way to high. You can build a custom grow box, with better lighting and more space for much less.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure you will get other opinions.

2. So this wouldn't be the top of the line ideal setting for your plants?

3. I think it's true of any system that you could do it cheaper if you built it yourself. If you couldn't, then there wouldn't be any room for a profit margin for they guy selling the system. I figure for myself, I'd rather build my system, but if someone else has the money and would rather buy a system ready made, then go for it.

Having said that, I've been reading about these systems off and on for years, and even the critics say they work pretty well.

4. So is it possible to build a better system?

5. Oh Yeah....;)
    For alot less than Jeff will take ya' for...if you already have one work with it as part of a "System".
    If not Build a box yur'self bro.....;)
    We here at "The City" will help Ya'....:D

6. yea sounds awful gimmicky grab a piece of paper or draw up a plan and share it with us. we will be glad to help.

7. Phototrons are way overpriced for what you get, extremely limited in size/space, and don't provide enough light.

There is a separate forum here at GC just on grow room/cabinet design, troll around in there for ideas. Basically all you need for a good space is good lighting and ventilation in a secure space.

8. Yeah, i think the most expensive one only produces like 35,000lumens right? I am producing half that with cfls that cost about 40 bucks. If someone gave you one of these it would be good to keep a mother in, but i wouldnt spend upwards of 600 bucks on a few flo's.

9. Mycroft has an excellent point (I say this as the owner of a company that produces propagation units). If you are of average intelligence, posess a few basic tools, and do a couple hours of online research, you should be able to build yourself an enclosed system that will fill the space that you were planning to put the phototron much better, giving you not only much more light, but alot more space for the plants to grow, for about half the price. I also agree with CoreyP, if one was to acquire one of those as a gift, or for a decent price, it would make for good mother isolation.

10. The most important part of the system you build is you. It's your creative power that puts it together and keeps it running, and it's your mind that keeps you tinkering with it to improve it and adapt it to your specific needs and improve it over time.

In my opinion people who buy phototrons and other systems are people who don't want to put that much thought into it themselves, but are willing to spend a few bucks to buy someone else's creativity. Which is fine, but I think the person who designs and builds their own system will get better results if only because they're more personally invested in the project.

11. I purchased the new tron and gotta say : anything I put in there grows strong. All that being said I wouldn't buy one again. Too restricted for space. If your doing one or two plants and want to keep acouple of moms in it to clone off of it would be great. That's what my tron will end up for . Oh buy the way any mother you put in there will be happy forever.

Iv'e got a thread here somewhere. Good luck. Make your own!!!:smoke:

12. The photorons I was looking at were around $500. With that 500, you could buy a decent MH/HPS Reflector/Bulbs/Ballast, and probably construct your own grow box. I haven't used the phototron but I guess its more of a convenience than anything. If you want your plants to grow bigger (and have them yield more), I would spend that money on a decent MH/HPS light setup.