Would This Work For a Hydroponic Setup?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ElVatoFirme, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Ok so I was reading a book about hydroponic growing and I thought I might try it out. I am planning on growing from seed in the hydroponic set up. I will fill a flower pot with gravel and place the seeds in as I would soil, then fill up the flower pot with water and plug any drainage holes. After 24 hours I would drain the flower pot of the regular water and put in the plant food I would be using instead. So on the 2nd day, I would fill the entire bucket with the plant food and plug the drainage holes. The plant food I'd use says use every 2 weeks so every 2 weeks I would flush the gravel with regular water of a proper pH balance and then put in fresh plant food water. I would continue that 2 week process for the rest of its feedings throughout its life.

Now what I need to know is if this is a working way of doing this, because I am still really new to growing. Any help would be appreciated.

2. sounds absolutely bizzare... but i believe in experimentation.

You would need, absolutely, an airstone... Without one, the water would become too stagnate and stunt growth severely. But, theoretically, it should work.

3. I agree with wizard on 2 things... I also believe in experimentation and you would needs load of more oxygen (bubblestone). The way you describe... the plant would suffocate. It needs oxygen around its roots in order to live... if you left only water and gravel in there like that for 2 weeks, the growth would not be stunted because there would be no growth, It would die.

I think that if you set this up the way you are describing, you would have kind of a very peculiar version of DWC (assuming you added an air stone to the mix). In that case, I would just add a lid with a hole cut in the center for a 6inch net pot and put the gravel (or hydroton) in the net pot. and, there ya go... a DWC (deep water culture) bucket. Similar concept... better results. Followin me bud...? lol... this is a thread to which you can refer for directions on a very proven method of building such a bucket... I have two myself and they are pretty damn good... Thank you goes to Rumpleforeskin!

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/121335-lets-build-bubble-bucket-step-step.html

4. Thanks to both of you.
    WhenInRome thanks for the link man. I'll definately have to try that out when I get some money.