Would it make sense?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SniperKitty, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Now, I muttled this over in my high mind last night, and this morning I thought about it again thinking it wasn't really a bad idea.

Do you think our democracy could function, and function better if instead of voting for delegates to nominate the president, each of our votes went to directly to the decision of who would be president? We have no need for a group of people to elect a president on our behalf anymore, back when it was implemented it was needed, but now especially with the internet, we can each cast a vote to count in the election.

Do you also think it would work out if we got to vote for things like the Iraq war, the new healthcare law, the war on drugs, and the other nationwide laws and regulations? Like actually got to send out a vote and whatever the majority of the population wanted would be what happens. Not whatever person is in office and whoever runs congress decides is best for all of us.

Could a system like this in theory work? I've never heard of a civilization that had a system like this, but I could be wrong. I don't see why it wouldn't work, I mean sure it would need some tweaks here and there, but all in all wouldn't it be nice to actually get a say in our president? Or get a say in our laws that govern everyone in the US?

I dunno that was my high mind at work! Lemme know what you think

2. What you are suggesting is a direct democracy. Whether you have democracy in general or a direct democracy the majority will oppress the minority.
    Collectivisms bad m`kay.

3. Do you mean abolishing the electoral college?

That'll never happen. Our founding fathers wanted to make sure that the country (and the money) stays in the hands of rich white people. Even with Obama in office, it's the rich white people laughing all the way to the bank.

Yeah, I think it would be good to directly elect the president, and even better if we were given more referendums (there is probably a plural for that but idk), but it probably won't happen.

4. Ancient Greece had a direct democracy if I'm not mistaken. I don't really remember how that worked out for them. But for it to function well, there would have to be an attentive and aware public, as well as a Bill of Rights or the like to protect the minority from the majority in their basic civil rights.

The American populace is the exact opposite of attentive and aware, for the most part. They'd rather vote for American Idol than a president.

5. sure it was called a democracy, but you had to be a rich male land owner to vote, no women or darker skinned people need apply.

6. "The principle that the majority have a right to rule the minority, practically resolves all government into a mere contest between two bodies of men, as to which of them shall be masters, and which of them slaves; a contest, that -- however bloody -- can, in the nature of things, never be finally closed, so long as man refuses to be a slave."

"A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years."

- Lysander Spooner

"Measures are too often decided, not according to the rules of justice and the rights of the minor party, but by the superior force of an interested and overbearing majority.

A pure democracy can admit no cure for the mischiefs of faction. A common passion or interest will be felt by a majority, and there is nothing to check the inducements to sacrifice the weaker party. Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths."

-James Madison

"Democracy has nothing to do with freedom. Democracy is a soft variant of communism, and rarely in the history of ideas has it been taken for anything else."

-Hans-Herman Hoppe

7. Just an FYI American isn't a Democracy, that word doesn't appear in the Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence or Constitution. So I was curious to what makes you think we have a Democracy?

Personally I beleive that so many Americans believe we are a Democracy as a propaganda tool. The Gov. spouts "we must spread Democracy" ppl think there for we are a Democracy now the MSM will insert an opinion poll showing 51% or more favor war or what ever BS agenda they want to push. The Average Joe thinks "well if thats what the majority wants then thats what we must do". Bypass Constitution and label all who bitch a terrorist. I know its a bit out there but logically it makes sense from a psychological perspective.

8. I'm proud of my fellow free market individualist independent thinking cybernet replies to the choice of mob rule / democracy. They like all forms of state are evil.

9. Let me stop you right there. We were never meant to be a democracy. The founding fathers hated democracy. We are a Republic or supposed to be. Democracy is the tyranny of the majority over the minority. All we have to do to solve our problems is to start following the Constitution again and we'll be fine.