Would it be a good idea to keep any seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by blackey, May 23, 2012.

1. So, I have a pure afghan kush plant, i had 12 seeds but only 4 germinated. Should I keep the seeds i get from the plants? I was told I should clone them, since they have been frozen since 1972. I dunno, I mean weed grown now days will be way more potent than back than just because of the sun and receiving more UV...but, are regular marijuana seeds just simply taken from buds? like, just taken away and packed, nothin special done to them, because if The genetics from a pure strain of afghan kush from back in 1972 is a good thing to have...I want to be able to grow tons and tons of them from seed at any time :)

2. If your growing to smoke, I'd recommend keeping the seeds to a minimum. (cloning is much more efficient for successful strains)

however if you do get a male, and want to keep some pollen for when you do decide to breed seeds and you don't want to cross breed the strain with some different plant.

Completely separate the male from the female.
    Flower the male quickly and let it develop lots of pollen sacks.
    Harvest and store the males pollen.

Never interact with your vegetating / female flowering plants after touching or even being in the same vicinity of your mature male, however If you do it right, the male should already be killed with its pollen harvested and stored a short time before you start to flower your other plants.
    and if you do decide you want seeds from maybe just some of your plants buds later on, simply add the pollen to some of the lower buds on the plant (at the beginning of flowering). Soon enough you should have some seed development in some of your lower buds (Maybe one or two in the upper buds, but not many)

Good luck

3. no way frozen seeds are viable after 40 years.

4. Id be dumbstruck if my freezer was even viable after 40 years..

5. I wouldn't be so sure of that.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/s...-arctic-flower-that-died-32000-years-ago.html
    They have germed a flower from a 32 thousand year old seed. Freezing is one of the best methods to keep seeds viable for long periods of time. I would say go for it and try to grow it, the worst you can do is fail.

6. A. not cannabis

B. seeds found underground, inside fruit, @ 32 meters( below frost line)

And C .. most important of all....
    it took a Jurassic Park team of scientists to pull off the DNA extraction...

7. True but it is not uncommon to germinate seeds that are centuries old, even if they were not frozen and without using "Jurassic Park science". Seeds are VERY good stores of genetic material.

The cannabis seeds may or may not be viable however when it comes to seeds they can be viable for a MUCH longer time then anybody expects especially if they are frozen. If they really were frozen the whole time I would actually be more surprised if they were not viable.

In any case it really cant hurt to try.

8. ^^pure conjecture^^

if century old seeds being germinated was common place, then where's my Panama Red, Acapulco Gold, and Maui Wowie seeds ( let alone, some of those heirloom tomatoes I cannot get anymore)? After all that was only a few decades ago, not 100+ years ago....

9. Aren't names of plants conjecture in itself...... maybe the plants you grow were called something else .... 100 years ago. I could take a bud I have now ..... call it something else and start marketing it ..... all I have to do is get people to believe right? " I am a marketing and business major" And people tend to believe things because they WANT to believe them. I agree try it and see what happens =) People and information are not always reliable.... I would rather go with personal experience than "conjecture" and science is fun!

10. B4 gettign into a discussion about seeds, strains and their resulting names with me.... you all may want to take some time to visit Our Breeding and Seedbank forums.

for those who think the freezer is a good place to store seeds for years, please for the love of Jah .. Google "freezer burn".

seeds saved by science are flash frozen, which doesn't allow ice crystals to form.

11. Very interesting, I will check out your site =)

12. They had freezers forty years ago? Jk but I would be really surprised of they sprouted after that long

13. They had freezers forty years ago? Jk but I would be really surprised of they sprouted after that long
    I got three seeds out of two pounds last harvest I planted em and one made it that's now three weeks into flower and she's amazing. I was very worried though that shed hermi on me

14. So where is a good place to store seeds?

15. Were you worried she would hermi because you found the seed in the bud before?
    Im not perfectly clear on genetics and all that. I planted some plants from mexican brick and could clearly cull the males and females out at flowering. I still ended up with tons of seedy bud. So im pretty sure my plants hermied and it was early in flowering at that.
    Could it have been pre destined to hermi is what im wondering?

16. Marijuana Wikipedia : How To Store Marijuana Seeds
    Seeds are designed to be frozen once (Winter). It is repetitive thawing and freezing that really damages seeds. Yes, after 40 years there is a good chance some of the seeds will not be viable but if they truly were frozen the ENTIRE time and did not go through a single thaw there is also a very good chance some are still viable.

Now I will grant you it is unlikely these seeds did not see a single thaw due to power outages or being moved but it is possible.

17. Yeah I was super worried for the first three weeks it gets hard when you have a bunch of plants to get way deep into the middle and search for the first sign of a hermi. Wicked worried. But three weeks in and no male flowers so I'm figuring it's gonna stay female
    Usually I'd have tossed the seeds but since there was only three I figured fuck it I'll try it out and I'm soooooo happy now that I did. I'll probably pull well over a qp dry off this one plant

18. The earlier it hernia the better because there's less pistils to pollenate. I figure way in the early stages of flowering I must have had a hermi somewhere but the fact that the three seeds were way deep in a lower bud I got lucky because there weren't that many hairs to pollenate. I got lucky cuz if it hermied five or six weeks into flower it would have all been seed

19. Thanks for the info. Damn; a qp on one plant. Must be a monster.

20. Come check her out in the global grow thread in my sig.
    She's called the golden ticket.
    I'll probably pull nine or so dry oz from her. She has thirty seven main colas. Can't wait to see the finished product. She is a cross of sour d and star 47