Worthy eb-and-flow grow... *Input needed*

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by DropDeadFred, Mar 4, 2013.

1. #1 DropDeadFred, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
    Hello everyone, (Settle in - if you're reading this; It's going to be a long one so hit the bowl one time)

Been a long time since I've been around here (I forgot my username actually lol - haven't logged in since after I got out of the Army in 2010). I was growing (legally) before in Michigan for a year where my business parter (Not life partner - I don't party like that lol) and I were growing using soil. At first using Craigslist clones (Was legal in MI), and only getting 2-2.5 oz a plant flowering under a 600W HPS. Second grow, I mixed half Craigslist clones (10$ each) and half TGA/Subcool seed co clones (More like $25 each), and increased the lighting to 1000W HPS. So we got about 5 oz a plant, but there was a noticeable difference in the Craigslist trash and the TGA/Subcool seeds so third crop we went with 5 or 6 1000W HPS lights - all TGA seeds and had a pretty good run; getting about 10 oz a plant average; 12 ounces and an 8/th off the biggest Cataract Kush plant we had in 10 gallon super soil smart pots. Anyway. So I'm not super experienced growing or anything, but I understand what its like...the complications that always seem to need to be overcome. I'm ok with that. Well this time I'm moving back to MI and have about $5,000 to invest in my grow op. Having bought and replaced several things before, I know there is some parts of the grow that I'm certainly just going to want to buy quality because...down time and equipment is pretty much unacceptable because someone cut a corner on cost. I mean, I look at it like...It might cost me an extra $100 but if it produces an extra 8-10 grams then its paid for itself.

So I've decided I want to build an eb-and-flow room, but am open to the possibility of flood tables. I've seen a lot of zero day veg grows (Here on the forums) and think I may pull something like 7 days of vegging (from TGA/Subcool clones right from one of the guys; Top tier clones I would suggest to anyone) off before I flower then (who knows, maybe even 14; maybe somewhere around 12 inches tall). So the exact method of growing I haven't figured yet, but I think those are 2 solid options. I know I have to change my reservoir every now and then, thats not an issue for me. If you've ever filled 50 milk jugs with water from a hose and added 4 different nutrients to each jug - twice to water your plants...You would understand. Coming from soil, I know there will be some changes and a lot to learn. That's why I've come here. Regardless of how it will be grown, there is some equipment that will be purchased (Maybe I'm overpaying on some stuff because I got name brand or quality or a feature I don't need...).

• 24 clones (To start - eventually progressing to 72 plants - Legally) * $20 = $480
    • 5000W Generator (Homelite HU5000) - $600
    • Growing medium (None chosen - rough estimate) - $200
    • Co2 (without controller) - $250
    • Atmospheric controller (w/ Co2) (Cap xgc-1) - $600
    • Carbon Filter - 8" HO Fan (Can-100) - $500
    • Nutrients (None chosen - estimate) $200
    • High temp shutoff timer (Hlc-3) - $115
    • Reverse Osmosis 200/gal day - $310
    Then my lights will be purchased, I have a 400W MH left over from my last grow I'll use when they are wee babies and will be picking up a handful of 1000W lights (2 to stay within initial budget, and then maybe picking up another light a month as the plants grow into it).

• Hortilux bulb - $75 * 2 = $150
    • Quantum ballast - $205 * 2 = $410
    • Magnum XXXL 8" hood - $240 * 2 = $480
    Lights = $1040

So this leaves me about $705 to work with after the fact to figure out exactly how I'm going to grow these. I'm going to fast turnover but I want some fire ass chronic (Don't we all - One second while I hit the bong) Ahh much better.

I was thinking about something like this:
    http://growershouse.com/grow-flow-e...mplete-32507?gclid=CJ3M1J7U4bUCFc0-MgodtFcAmg

Maybe one per twelve plants; I know each phenotype may take nutrients in at different rates let alone each strain will most likely be different and it'll be easier to manage each strain individually to have 3 - 55 gallon drums in each of my two rooms rather than just the one in each. Changing the water might be more of a chore, but i also read you can just add 10% of your water/mix to your solution every day in order to avoid changing it at all. (Yes, I read some 50 page threads before posting - NO WAI). Now at the same time this seems more like a pain in the ass now and is making those floods trays seem realllly nice right now. I mean, I could have as many plants in there as I want and space them out as they're growing. Probably could run two tables and have 2 - 1000W HPS lights over them each with that fatty 8" high output fan blowing through those Raptor hoods...Controller should have the co2/fans working right. I'll have heat/AC when the seasons come. I'm hoping for a good grow...

Any input? Ideas? Advice? Maybe I'm high and forgot something? (Of course I'm high. Maybe I forgot something :devious: :smoking:)

I did! The walls will be either painted or covered with the black/white poly tarps. I'm not sure which is preferable. The Elastomere paint is supposed to reflect 90% of light and the poly tarp is only supposed to reflect 75-90% of light - so whichever seems simpler at the time. (Shit maybe even the C3 film if I can find it at a good deal since I'll be growing on the top floor. Yes, I'm legal but...No reason to give them a reason to come knocking.)

This is all going down in a month, my brother has been wanting me to do this for/with him since I spent the year in MI a few years back growing and now his renter is moving out so he has a nice 4 bedroom house waiting all for me...

*Rubs hands together*

I can't wait, I have until the end of the month to figure out exactly what my plan is....If the input from the community is enough - I may even start a grow journal (Under an IP from France lol :cool:).

Will update often will information as I figure it out.

Also purchasing:
    Future Harvest Tri-Meter Continuous Monitor - $170

2. Hmm input.... there are two things that most stoners don't enjoy; running out of weed and walls of text.

Can you like... summarize?

3. Sure, keep your pipe close.

For a less interesting more direct article; read paragraphs 2-4/5. I don't know about you, but for me constructing a grow room is like...a puzzle with a naked chick on it. Its one of those things you just get excited about putting together. :p

4. Sounds like a good set up. Why establish a mother plant and grow your own clones?