Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Worried about my decarb

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by trunkpeople, Dec 29, 2016.

1. decarbed some bud in a jar in my oven set at 240 degrees for about 40 mins, I used a hanging oven thermometer and temps never really went above 255. When I removed the jar, and took the foil off to put a lid on the jar and some vapor was released. I'm worried that the vapor being released is a sign that I over did it with the decarb. what do you guys think? maybe there is a way I can avoid this problem in the future?

2. You're fine potency wise you did it right. 230-260 - longer if lower shorter is hotter.. I recall some chemist from Denver saying 220 for 1.5 hours was the preferred way but don't quote me precisely. It was from an episode of Weediquette on Vice if you're so inclined to research more..

If you don't want that vapor to escape and I do this for reasons of smell you can always just let it sit covered on the counter for 20-30 mins. The steam will dissipate and soak back into the buds.

3. sweet. the herb was super brown when i took it out, i'm worried maybe the glass jar got hotter than the oven thermometer was reading, like the oven was at 250 but the jar heated up to 300 because of the way glass transfers heat or something? hopefully im just being paranoid man. i'm sick of fucking up edibles xD

4. Nah that's not possible. Nothing is going to get hotter than what the oven is kicking out.. law of physics. Your thermometer could be off though. Boil some water and put it in there.. if it reads 212 at a boil you know you're good.

The bud should look brown.. not crispy burned brown but not green anymore. I like to grind mine up before I decarb.. it's a pain in the ass grinding up an ounce at a time but not only do I get to collect the kief for other things I know all of the bud is reaching the temps I want.

5. Try to avoid using glass find some clay cookware/with a clay lid you find it will work a lot better.
    also make sure to pre warm your oven before placing it inside .

6. I have been decarbing an oz at a time in my toaster oven. I pre heat it to 240, grind up the herb and spread it on the pan. Bake for 30 minutes. I dries out a bit but never really turns brown like the herb in my vapexhale does.

I then strip with 99 proof and reduce in a rice cooker adding a few tablespoons of coconut oil to make it last and easier to add to different cooked items (like eggs). Usualy my oil turns a bit green by doing this but I did a pure sativa (not knowing thats what it was) and it turned out more tan with a slight sage green look to it. While I am doing it for pain control the sativa goes to your head more than the body even when in edibles.

The grinding is a pita, especially when you got some sticky buds.

I a a newb though so my method may not be perfect.

7. ^ What he said. Make sure to let your decarbed bud sit with the foil on it for about 30 minutes so those vapors can all resettle into the buds.