working with a VERY SMALL space

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Abra_Kadabra, Mar 7, 2010.

1. i am going to attempt to grow in my closet. its only a 22inx28in space i can work with,
    is there any suggestions on ways to vent/heat/keep dark/basically anything that will help me utilize the space i have to work with.

here are some pictures of my closet.

THE FLOOR SPACE
    [​IMG]

SOME SHELFS (with some germinating seeds on top)
    [​IMG]

hanger rod i can clamp lights to. don't know if this will be useful or not.
    [​IMG]

where i can keep heaters/fans (I CAN NOT CUT A HOLE IN THE WALL! I CAN NOT MODIFY THE SPACE BEYOND ADDING A SELF AND EVEN THAT'S RISKY!)
    [​IMG]

i can however, paint (not the floor), put up foil, maybe add a shelf or 2, i can hang things from the ceiling (as long as i can also remove with ease)

I'm only going to be growing one or two plants at a time until i get good at it.

this is my VERY first attempt at a grow using some bag seed.

i have access to an AMAZING hydroponic store, (Buffalo Hydroponics) so getting the stuff for growing will be a sinch, i just need to know....what i NEED.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

thanks for looking!

2. What is the height of this room?
    If you have decent ventilation your best bet would be a 250W HPS/MH with an aircooled hood if your budget can stretch to this.

Use Mylar or black/white not foil, Looks like it needs a good steralising befor you do anything :p

3. i can spend about...$150 at first. oh and i have about 5 1/2 feet to work with as far as height

4. Probably go with CFL's then, 2x 125W cfl's. Blue for Veg, Red for flower.

Might be worth thinking about using high powered 120MM 12V pc fans for intake and extraction as these are very cheap.

Seeing as your new to growing I would go with using Canna coco, It's a quality medium and forgiving if you fuck up.

5. Yes 2700k for flowering,, 6500k for veg, Use at least 5 in veg and probably 8-9 in flower.

6. CFL'S light intensity is awful, 10 X 25W CFL's are much better than 1X 250W because theres a lot more lumens and as the plants grow you will need to give light to the lower buds/leaves.

You could go with a 125W or 200W CFL with reflector then 4-5 20-30W bulbs around the sides.

Remember to keep them 2 inch away from plant.

7. I use one of those huge CFL's that are in the link you posted but only for veg, as people have already posted you will need to buy 2 bulbs for it. Blue for veg and then red when you switch to flowering so they could work out more expensive than more smaller bulbs. Also see if you can find a bigger bulb with more watts what it comes to flowering.

Good luck

8. ok, so how about this

i will buy 5 of these

Walmart.com: Lite Source Gooseneck Reading Lamp with Clamp in Blue: Decor

and 4 of these

Black Adjustable Gooseneck Incandescent Desk Lamp | Staples®

so i can set 4 on the floor pointing up. and 5 i can clamp around the shelfs on top?

and buy 5 of these bulbs
    Fluorescent Grow Lights - - 15W CFL Spiral Energy Saving Light Bulb

and 9 of these?
    Fluorescent Grow Lights - - 15W CFL Spiral Energy Saving Light Bulb - 5000K (vegetative)

is that right or am i totaly off base here

9. 8-10 of these for veg Fluorescent Grow Lights - - 26W CFL Spiral Light Bulb - 5000K (vegetative)

10-14 of these for flower Fluorescent Grow Lights - - 26W CFL Spiral Light Bulb - 2700K (Flowering)

Forget the other lights you mentioned, especially the desk lights..

To begin with hang all the light above the plants, As the plants get to about 5inch and upwards start to hang the lights around the leafs, within 2inches of them. 2 plants - 5-6 26W bulbs each should be fine. Put as many more in there as possible when u start flowering!

10. ok well....um. not to sound like a total jackass, but what do i screw the lights into? thats what the desk lamps were for

11. Get yourself about 20 meters of 3AMP cable, About 20 cheap 3amp plugs, and 20 or so E27 light sockets from ebay, theyre about £1 each. Wire it up and off you go.

Do a search on CFL lights, which to use, how to set them up (can be very cheap ways)

12. thanks for all your help!!!!!