Working in the food industry?

Discussion in 'General' started by bromance, Feb 19, 2011.

1. #1 bromance, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
    Am I the only person that likes it? I like how fast-paced it usually is and the shitloads of people/connections you can meet.

Do you work in the food industry? What do/did you do?

I worked as a host/cashier at BDubs and that job was actually pretty hard seeing as how we had to greet/seat guests, bus tables when servers didn't bus them and we'd be slammed (and servers NEVER bussed their fucking tables..so you can imagine having to rush to bus a table from a party of 9 on football sunday), run/tray food, cashier, clean bathrooms and keep the lobby clean, put fliers on cars in the parking lot, sweep the sidewalk, refill the ice machine, make the tea, and so on.

I currently work as a server assistant at a popular and expensive steakhouse chain..and honestly....servers don't really do shit. The most they'll have to do is fake a smile/being polite to get a tip and roll some silverware/fill salt/pepper shakers IF that. Hosts don't do shit but greet and seat...

Can't wait to transfer to a serving position.

2. That sucks you're not a waiter..

3. Most GOOD serving positions require a decent amount of experience.

You didn't need it at BDubs though, but servers got shitty tips since most of the crowd that came in were in high school/cheap. If I'm going to serve I'd rather do it somewhere expensive like a Cheesecake Factory or P.F Changs....etc.

4. I worked as a waitor for a few years and I enjoyed it when the restaurant was running smoothly. I enjoyed the interaction with people and making sure they had a good expereience. But when my restaurant was understaffed and when he items out of stock, it kinda sucked. Cause as a waitor people will take shit out on you. But overall it was cool, and I loved the hours (being able to work at night).

5. You have to start somewhere, you'll never work there if you don't start at the bottom.

I'm working at Red Robin as a server, still training, but I'm so stoked on how easy it is. Talk to people, bring them food and drinks, take their money

6. I'm fairly certain you're experiencing the "grass is greener on the other side" perspective.

Being a server was not fun, just wait till you get your first forgotten order, and just wait till you get completely shit on by assholes who demand everything and blame everything on you.

Of course this varies by restaurant, and I worked at a pretty shitty novelty restaurant where people felt free to be big pricks.

Then again, I was a busser/cashier/server/dessert maker all at once, so that contributed, but really the worst part about the job is shitty customers, and they exist, everywhere.

7. Yeah it's true...I felt like some people came to a restaurant just to blow of steam at their waitors, and if you did something small like forget to put a straw down they would explode at you. Not many customers like that, but just be prepared for it.

8. Can I let my 3yr old splash ice cream and water everywhere, and throw her fries on the floor?

Its your job to clean this up right?

Heres a dollar. Thanks.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

--------------
    I SAID NO MAYO. THERES MAYO HERE. ARE YOU STUPID? WHERES YOUR MANAGER? IM SURE AS HELL NOT TIPPING!

(after telling the cook NO FUCKING MAYO)

9. I mean, I can take shit from a customer and dish it right back in a polite way...so i'm not worried about that. I see servers freaking out and crying and shit because a guest is giving them attitude...like you get paid to deal with that, so buck up. For every shitty customer you've got ten more that will treat you well.

And if a guest is giving you shit it may be because you're a shitty server. This isn't always true, but I've seen servers bring shitstorms upon themselves.

And I said shit so much in this post oh my.

10. I liked when I used to make take and bake pizzas. It wasn't too fast paced or demanding. I made roughly 60-80 pizzas a day and stocked them. Usually only took about 5 hours to do so. So I generally had about 3 hours to clean my station and then fuck around in the back.

However around holidays I was making anywhere between 100-135 pizzas a day. That was pretty demanding. I would just come into work baked, get into a groove, and knock out 20 pizzas an hour.

11. Yeah It was easy at first, even with the real big problems.

It was 6 months in of doing that crap everyday that I was getting really exasperated.

Finally quit when some jackass starting stealing tips, and management didn't care. No tips? Not fucking worth it.

But to be honest, in the grand scheme of things, it was fun and im glad I worked there while I did. Gave me much respect for everyone in the service and restauration industry. So, have fun!

12. LOL yes...parents let their kids go buck wild in the restaurant knowing they didn't have to clean shit up after them.