Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Working In A Dispensary

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by airsick, Apr 18, 2013.

1. I'm curious as to what it would take to work in a dispensary? Requirements?
    Extensive knowledge of cannabis is a given, but does anyone know how one might go about getting a job working in a dispensary?
    Is it difficult?

Also, growing for dispensaries, what would it take?

2. when I visted a med state on holiday I asked about this and apparently jobs are rare everyone wants one , as with any job I bet you could go give out prospective cv applications just in case one comes up , If your smart and professional about it it carries across to them that you care about getting a job and are willing to seek one out rather than wait around till one comes up on craigslist or whatever and if I owned a dispensary *dreaming* I'd really want proactive people who'd search out for a job not just wait for one to come out
    Not too sure about growing for dispensaries but I know harbourside buys from whoever turns up at their backdoor aslong as it's super good like they check the trichs the general condition ect and then if it's good they buy it into their stock , not sure how other places do it

3. look up the definition of collective. its a whole bunch of patients donating weed and the patients pay the growers.

yes you do have to know your shit or people like me wont come and give them bad rep and no busniess. at my local collective patients volenteer for it. id rather make them edibles and extracts for the patients. being a bud tender is alot of work...

you have ove 40 strains of indica and 30 of sativa and 10 hybrids all diffrent strains and lost of hash....keep track of how much is in each jar so the growers get there money for helping and dispencing there product. :smoke:

4. I have worked in two popular collectives. You need to know your shit and be able to impress the owner. Or get lucky. Lot's of people try to get dispensary jobs... not many actually acquire them.

The post above me is somewhat right. That is how collectives are suppose to be run. No collective will let a volunteer be a budtender. You can probably volunteer and do bitch work.

5. I dont call helping a 70 yr old woman cook her edibles and shit bitch work.

6. Its going to depend alot on which state you are talking about.

I grow for dispensaries in Colorado, and it is much different than working in California from what I've heard.

I didn't really have any experience growing weed when I started looking for a job in the industry, but I have a degree in Horticulture and already had an extensive knowledge of everything cannabis going in (or thought I did), so it only took a month of applying to job postings from craigslist to find the perfect job.

In Colorado you have to have an occupational license from the Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division (MMED) before you can work in a dispensary or cultivation facility that provides for a dispensary. To get the occupational license you have to pass a criminal background check and you can't get one if you are a felon or have had drug related charges.

7. That really isn't a role a paid employee at a dispensary will do. That is generally a patient vendor roll.
    It is most definitely a nice deed you did but, that is not what working at a collective normally entails.

I make all sorts of medicine for patients with chronic and terminal conditions. But, that is once again nothing to do with my prior collective jobs.

8. My excess medication goes to patients mostly through collectives. You need to be able to grow high quality medication. Most people want organic. It has to be able to pass testing for fungus, pesticides, molds, and other contaminants. Not every place tests their flowers and medicine. But, a place that deals with serious patients most likely does. Mold and other contaminants can seriously harm a patient with a weakened immune system. Especially, during chemotherapy and various treatments.

Other than being able to grow top notch medication you need to know what your talking about. Most reputable collectives don't buy medication from just anyone off the street with a rec. But, in California (especially southern california) there are so many dispensaries that no matter the quality of bud you grow someone will buy it... the price may just go down.

I assume you don't live in a medical state... If that is true don't move somewhere with hopes to acquire these jobs. I consider myself lucky landing a collective job within a month of moving west. I got slingshot into the medical marijuana industry very very quickly. I use to work in partnership with weedmaps and other major players in the industry. Now years down the road from then, I probably wouldn't be where i am today , without landing the first job.

Now I enjoy nature and farm for myself and a select collective of patients with serious conditions.

9. To work in a dispensary, you'll have to be a medical marijuana patient and have a relatively clean criminal background. Any dispensary owner worth his salt will background check you to ensure you're not a drug or violent crime felon, as that can trigger an audit from the city, county or state and get the business shut down.

Best way to get a job in a dispensary is to know someone, or simply walk in and inquire. Keep in mind that most dispensary owners are suspicious of anyone they don't personally know by nature, so it might be difficult without a personal connection.

About your second question, what you're talking about is growing commercially so you can supply MMJ to dispensaries. You can definitely do it. The price will be the cost of becoming a patient, possibly a caregiver, as well as setting up your business structure and either getting or ensuring licenses and permits aren't required in your specific area. You can't just become a patient and think you're protected and can do whatever you want. You'll need proper documentation, procedures, incorporation and a few other things if you'd like to do it legitimately and be 100% compliant. It's not super difficult, but can get very confusing very quickly if you don't know what you're doing. Anything you fail to do, as dictated by state, city and county regulations and you're just asking to be made an example out of by law enforcement.

If you'd like more specific help or have any questions. Let me know. This is exactly my field of expertise. :)

10. Not sure what state you live in but growing is not complicated to do as a patient. There is no extra paperwork etc. If you live in CA and have been paying for various documentation your getting "robbed". The plant number goes by county. If you don't live in the emerald triangle or one of the surrounding countires (possibly) your probably putting yourself at risk. The plant numbers are tenfold of other counties.

11. It seems like you need to be a fit,hot ass female..

12. ^ those shops are the worst.....
    That is not to say females do not know their shit. My lady was one of two females working at our collective and they were well educated. But, those shops where they have 5+ female budtenders sucks. Good luck asking a question in those collectives.

Mostly owned by thugs. It isn't the sex industry. It's medicine.

13. What is the chance of the dea busting me for growing for patients ? I kind of want to do that .

14. ^ Probably not likely. There are thousands of commercial operations up north and they focus on busting cartel op's mostly. But, it's not so easy as it's a gray area. I suggest getting a lawyer that specializes in this field. They can provide the best and safest information.
    There are lot's of people who do this, so you have to grow the best quality and most places prefer or only take organic. What growing experience do you have?

15. Most dispensariy workers are family members or friends.

I know 2 owners in Cali and they only have family working at their dispensaries except for my friend that works with one of them he's not family but they trust him.