WOrDs?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Casssiopeiaaa, Sep 23, 2012.

1. I was thinking for a long time to myself how did people ever discover words back long ago and put together what they mean like put together a whole dictionary of words in different languages it just blows my fucking mind!!?!

2. think of it like this.

you start being able to make complex vocalizations, so you start associating sounds with certain things.

the same thing happens with words then. people started associating images with the sounds.

eventually those early languages transform into more complex languages, and eventually what the world uses right now.

3. I don't know it seems a bit more complex than that. It makes no sense how air was called air ya get me hahaha

4. i see birds chirping at eachother and language makes perfect sense to me, pretty much all creatures talk to eachother. among other examples of humans using their brains to adapt to their environment at one point im sure one early human saw a lion charging for two other humans, grunted, one human heard the grunt and made the split second decision to dive out of the way, other human got eaten... words didnt spring up overnight they evolved with us

5. Well, certain sounds, like harsh or 'sudden' sounds excite the brain in certain ways, whereas soft and soothing sounds are calming.

This was probably one of the first forms of language. Just like animals will purr for one effect or hiss for another effect (cats in this example).

Humans just took the next step and began giving each other names and eventually names for objects. Where animals can know each other by smell, people know each other by name (some animals recognize each other's faces as well).

What the word for an object actually becomes doesn't even matter, because after so many generations it will just seem like it couldn't be anything else.

Of course there are certain similarities between languages, like terms of affection and exclamatory terms.