Wolf

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Dizzy, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Do Anyone Else On GC Just Think Wolfs Are So Awesome Creatures? I Do! They 1 Of My Favorite Animals Ever!

~Toni~

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tell that to the moose or bear or elk or deer or domestic pets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I Love All Animals Even Dangerous Ones.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Different life styles . out west like in Idaho , Montana the wolfs are a royal pain for ranchers.
    They kill their stock.. right now a mature steer is worth 5k or more.
    How would like to loose 5 or 6 steers in one night ?

• Like Like x 2
  5. I really enjoy wolves,,, enjoy hearing them at night, especially when camping far out into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness,,, or watching them cross lake ice in winter… We too hear them around the house sometimes at night, and see them on occasion in the yard, or out on our 100 acres, during the day… Delightful creatures,,, sure cut down on the free raging dogs too; I’ve seen a lot fewer dogs roaming around than wolves… They’ll follow my snowshoe floats in winter… I cut trails through the bush on snowshoes, and they’ll follow along,,, albeit when I’m not about… I think they are simply curious,,, they’ll even nose around the cold remains of the small fires I build for making tea along my way winter walks…

Lots of folk here don’t like wolves,,, kill too many deer they say,,, kill dogs they say,,, kill moose, kill cattle… All true I suppose, but there are still plenty of deer,,, still too many free ranging dogs,,, moose die even where there are no wolves… Cattle more often die, and then are fed on by wolves scrounging an easy meal,,, farmers/ranchers blame the wolves for the cattle dying, but cattle die anyway… When I lived in Kentucky, bloat killed cattle, sometimes lots for them in the same field in a single night… Weren’t any wolves in Kentucky, but certain sure had there been, they’d have been blamed for the cattle dying of bloat…

I suppose, living where I do, and seeing far more wolves, coyotes, black bears, deer, bobcat, lynx, and eagles, than either cattle or dogs, it’s easier to side with the wild things… Anyway, I really enjoy wolves…

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. I once worked with a young lady who told me she was part of a project at NC State that reintroduced red wolves in North Carolina back in the mid 80's .
    I found it quite fascinating listening to her talking about what they did while she was involved with that program .
    I live in a rural area I've never seen any wolves in my area of NC but we have been over ran with coyotes in the past 20 years . I see coyotes regularly now .
    While out with my dogs one day about 10 years back my dogs became quite interested in some large holes they found on a sunny hillside close to our pond . When I went to investigate I could tell that several canines had dug into the holes trying to get at whatever had been living in the holes. I could only assume that it had been coyotes .

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. I’ve lived in Northeastern Minnesota these last 28 years,,, lots of wolves here…

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. I’m an avid big game hunter, both archery and rifle seasons. I am right in the middle of large populations ( and rising) of all the alpha predators, including wolves, grizz, and mountain lions. I’ve had close ( eye to eye) encounters with each of them and I have come away with a respectful appreciation for them. We share the woods and the harvest of the game it holds. They are my de facto hunting partners. If I see them , I’m probably in the right area.
    I’m stoked to live and hunt in the same ranges that these fine animals call home.
    I also have a tag for the lion and the wolf. I’d love to fill it someday:thumbsup:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah wolves are really cool, had a few encounters with 'em during my hunting trips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. They're fascinating animals.
    Only seen them once in the wild, near Yellowstone park. It was huge compared to a large dog.

My jindo dogs, are closer to wolf than they are domesticated dogs.
    [​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. A lot of people who have only seen pictures of wolves without reference of their size can't really understand how HUGE wolf is to be fair. They are just "well it's slightly bigger than a dog" when it reality it's not even a comparison :D
    Also thanks for photo of 2 good boys :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. I Like That Sound They Make Too It Kinda Sound Like Awwwroooo You Know? Its Cool!

~Toni~

14. I understand that some people have concerns about wolves due to their impact on the ecosystem and potential conflicts with domestic animals like deer, dogs, and cattle. However, it's important to remember that nature operates in a delicate balance, and wolves play a crucial role in maintaining healthy ecosystems. While they may have an impact on certain populations, it's necessary to consider the larger picture and the intricate relationships between species.

Living in an area where you regularly encounter wolves, coyotes, bears, and other wildlife, it's natural to develop a strong affinity for the wild and appreciate their presence. Each animal has its own place and significance in the natural world, and it's understandable why you find joy in observing and being around these majestic creatures.

• Winner Winner x 1