Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Without pot, life = lame. permanent?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Kubasow, May 10, 2012.

1. Hi guys. For starters, I am a total beginner.

I've been smoking with friends and alone lately. I am a senior in HS. I definitely have some issues with depression and I am in the middle of nowhere so pot is generally awesome in my situation. It makes me less upset and more generally accepting of shittiness of things ;)

Without it, everything feels much more dulled, and depressing.

I took AP psych, I understand dopamine, and all that shit. My question is, is this permanent?

I understand that getting high then feeling bored or disappointed in life while not high is normal ( i hope, anyway ) - of course it would act as a "highlighter" per say. But is that feeling permanent? Do you forget the world of pot and become accepting of normal life, if you ever try to quit? Or do you spend the rest of your life depressed that it isn't as good as while you are stoned?

2. dont use weed to escape. weed enhances life, not replaces it.

3. As frankenfish said.
    Dont use your life to embrace weed. Use weed to embrace life.

to answer your question, no. the feeling isnt permanent.
    its like eating a bar of chocolate everyday, if you stop, sure youll miss it. but its not going to kill you or drive you to stealing chocolate bars and secretly eating them.

4. Cannabis increases dopamine in your brain.
    After habitual use, your brain becomes accustomed to the increased dopamine, and if you achieve hyper levels of dopamine(Unlikely)
    Your brain will create extra receptors for the excess dopamine.
    Not smoking returns dopamine creation to normal levels and can leave you feeling depressed.
    A consistent low level of dopamine is linked to depressive disorders.

Do your own research on dopamine serotonin and norepinephrine.

If you're gonna be doing something to your body chemically you owe it to yourself to understand the fundamentals.

You'll feel better man. It's not permanent.

EDIT: If you understand dopamine then what's the problem... You should understand that it will return to normal.
    Just don't overdo it man. Sure being a stoner is a fun culture to embrace, but excess is rarely positive.

5. I've been high for about five or so years now...I see dragons, do you see dragons sober?

I think fuckin' not.:cool:

6. No.

I smoke on average about 3 times every day. That being said, I don't go to class high and I don't go to work high. When I'm sober I have the ability to be angry and what not, when I'm high I know I can only be chill and relaxed. That's the difference for me.

7. Welcome to the City, Kubasow. I hope you enjoy it here.

First off, if you know that you have issues with depression, then I urge you to seek help about it from a professional, if only to have some one to listen to you. I've been to therapists before, and they have helped me, friends, and family. It's a hard weight to carry, and if life pushes you the wrong way you could be thrown way off balance.

Smoking weed to alleviate feelings of depression is like putting a bandage on an infected wound. It'll cover up the problem, but the wound isn't going to get any better without more aid.

An easy trap to fall into is relaxing, doing nothing, watching tv/movies, and snacking while high. This can be a problem because when you're high, you're totally fine with it and everything is awesome, but when you're not high, you realize you've become boring. Be more active, engage the pleasure centers in your nervous system in multiple ways, exercise, art, work, etc.

You also have to consider at what time of the day you smoke. If you go to sleep high and wake up sober, that disconnect can bring on its own feelings of dullness.

And those feelings aren't permanent. They will go away after a while if you stop smoking, or even as your body adjusts to weed. But you gotta stay on top of things.

Like the people say, don't use weed as an escape. It's not your way out, it's your way in.

8. If you feel lame without weed, chances are you were lame to begin with.

9. I smoked weed for like.. 4 years and I don't smoke weed anymore and I am still kickin it with all the grasscity homies. And I am for damn sure not depressed (well not cause of weed anyways :p). So no, not permanent. Listen to them ^^

10. I have the same problem. Currently, I find playing video games is still as fun as ever. I try not to think of it, I try just to live in the moment and I know for a fact life won't be dull for you. Maybe take a break or slow down, that's what people told me. Just keep tokin!

11. Its permanent if your born with depression.

12. i can relate so much to your post. i know people said weed shouldn't be used to "escape" from reality but the way i like to see it is- i love weed and i know i'm fucked up in the head so i'll smoke anyway. i don't do it because i wanna think things got better, i just smoke because i love it. the fact it helps you cope with things is just an extra.

anyway, kinda off-topic but how severe is your depression? it surprises me you mentioned weed always makes you feel better, especially if you're depressed. been dealing with major depression, anxiety, OCD and an eating disorder and even though weed makes me feel better most times, it does seem to deepen my depression sometimes. like sometimes, after smoking, i swear to god i'd kill myself...

about your question, i don't think you're depressed because you feel like life stoned is better so quitting weed is not going to change your view on anything. it's normal to feel desperate sometimes, but if you do feel depressed with your life all the time, then i think you kinda should seek help. wish i would have done that sooner.

13. Part of the reason weed helps my depression rather than depressing me further is that my depression really isn't a issue within itself: it is caused clearly by a couple things in my life. Social anxiety is more or less 90% of it. Pot has undoubtedly helped me so much with social anxiety. It mellows me out like all hell while I'm stoned and people get to know the real me. The next day and throughout the week I stay fairly mellow and more outgoing. And pot as recreation itself introduces me to new people and new friends really easily.

When I made this thread I thought I was escaping depression with it - sometimes I still feel like that, if I am stoned on my own at night. On the other hand, it has helped me socially a ton. It also helps my insomnia (the only thing I was medicated for)

Yes, at times getting stoned, I have spikes of anxiety or paranoia that kind of push my anxiety or depression into high gear. But for the most part, in the past week, i'm starting to realize it helps a lot. Total beginner and its pretty early on so we'll see, but I can definitely say I have a much more positive outlook since I made this thread.
    We'll see.

I hope anyone else bumping into this thread facing depression or issues gets some insight from it. I guess it is questionable in society to rely on pot to treat and improve my life so much...

But what is the difference between: toking up in the evening and on the weekends so I can feel like myself 24/7, and kick the shit out of my social anxiety, or building a reliance on some crazy expensive prescription med?

I owe marijuana a lot... as long as you don't let it harm your productiveness, this plant is legit. Wish I had found it sooner on - would've gotten more out of my high school experience.

14. You feel depressed after smoking weed? That is normal. I get that too. Only when I smoke A LOT. This will go away within a few days

15. I abused cannabis, used to create enjoyment in my life, not enhance it. So now that i am forced to quit.. Life sucks. Nothing more than a fat joint to the face, no consequences, that I would enjoy right now.

This is gonna sound fucking homo but.. I almost dropped a tear at how much I love smoking and can't do it for AWHILE. But the wait will be worth it :)

16. Don't rely on it to relieve stress and anxiety or depression or you will depend on it, and don't think you can't have fun without it, you don't need weed to have fun and enjoy life!

17. I smoke weed for the taste.

I don't even inhale, byatchzz