Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Without Decarb?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by 1620, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I'm making brownies tonight and without even thinking while preparing my things, I prematurely covered the herb with coconut oil before decarbing. What are the consequences going to be for this, and is there any way I can compensate? For example my recipe says two rounds of baking for 45 minutes. I was thinking of upping one of the times to an hour, or both if there is no harm done. what do you guys think?

2. real mature guys

3. put the coconut oil and herb in a crock pot add water and simmer for a few hours then strain into a bowl and refridgerate when cooled the oil will rise to the top and harden. take the solid cannaoil from the bowl and pour the water down the drain then use the cannaoil to cook the brownies with.

4. ^^ Don't do this.

Decarboxylation is not a make or break part of the process. Your oil can be good without it, it could be better with it though. Decarbing occurs naturally over time so if your MJ has been imported from a foreign land it is probably already at least partially decarbed. If it is freshly picked not at all, and will suffer for it. There is already THC in your MJ, decarbing just converts the non-psychoactive THCA into THC. Wikipedia for the rest...

Go for the longer extraction. 3-4 hours at less then 225-250F (some debate on this, 225F is safer) will only help the process. I believe BKS says you can safely heat a direct oil transfer for up to 5 hours at those temps before you start to break THC down into CBN's. The longer you cook it the more cannabanoids you will extract.

Please don't put water in your oil extraction.

5. Well I did two heatings about one hour each. I just popped it into the freezer. Hopefully they turn out okay

6. Curious as to why YOU wouldn't do this as you mentioned? I'm not trying to argue of course there are many different ways to process edibles and I am always open to new ideas. I find by adding water to the process you reduce the chance of burning any plant matter in the oil if it is over direct heat during the extraction process.

7. I've heard this is a good way to remove chlorophyll and shit like that that you don't want also. What are your results with this?

Edit: Although you couldn't use lecithin in your oil if you did this, which might reduce quality a bit depending on how you prefer your edibles.

8. Everything I've read about adding water to a lipid extraction indicates that it does not help reduce the chlorophyll content, but rather draws out more and more plant salts.
    I will be the first to tell you I've never done it, made direct transfer oil many times, but the water seems like a hindrance instead something to help.

9. hmm. I'll have to do some more research on this particular topic but interesting point you bring up. I found the water oil method to be the easiest to cleanly separate after refrigerating however if it is in fact pulling additional salts and plant matter as you mentioned I suppose its worth looking into.

10. I know BKS has talked about this topic on more than 1 occasion, also remember reading "DrSheldonCooper's" (pretty sure that was the username) comments saying the same thing.

It's worth researching if you want to perfect the process.

11. From what I've learned, you should never use "direct heat" (stove top burner) for extraction. You cannot control or gauge the temperature close enough.

Best way is in an oven so the heat is evenly distributed around your container. I have an old-fashioned oven thermometer and I double-check that with a digital thermometer* also.

Oven dials are notoriously inaccurate -- my oven is 30-40 degrees lower than what the dial says it should be. But with the thermometers I know exactly where I have to set the dial to get a true 230-240 F.

* You can check a digital's calibration by inserting the probe into a pot of boiling water, holding it up off the bottom of the pot until the numbers stabilize. At sea level it should be, of course, 212; less depending on your local elevation. FTR, I bought a Walmart's digital, was probably around ten bucks, and at my elevation of 1150' it reads 210, plus or minus a few tenths. According to an online calculator that corrects the boiling point for elevation it should be 209.958 F.

Close enough, me thinks! But I'm just anal about these things, such being the miserable life of a perfectionist. It does not have to be that close, but it's good to know where you stand.

12. I love reading threads like this, they completely defy the stoner stereotype.