Withdrawing From Average Life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mangoskunk, Jun 10, 2012.

1. I apologize if this is long, but I need to write my thoughts down somewhere.

So all my life I've felt somewhat withdrawn, different you could say. I've now acknowledged that civilization as we know it will not work. I say this because superficial, over controlling people always rise to the top. This is because we are animals, and animals usually stride to be dominant. This is the same behavior that humans represent. I have seen that this doesn't work. We have achieved amazing lengths in technology, science, and over all understanding. But no on is happy! No one steps back and thinks how wonderful it all is, this is because we search for happiness in the wrong areas, true happiness an enlightenment can only be achieved through the medium of nature. It's the structure of all life. And I think it is WAY too over looked. People need to set aside their technology once an a while and take a walk through the woods.

I have come to the basic conclusion that what YOU personally can do is to not watch tv, don't read tabloids and magazines, don't get caught up in it all (although these things are beneficial in a way, you have to do them in moderation). But instead, find out what YOU think is important, and don't let our culture sway you in any way.

Because of these realizations, I have come to the final conclusion that I need to kind of seclude myself in a way in order to expand my mental horizons, and greatest wonders. What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. If any one has any thoughts or ideas, feel free to talk about them!

3. [quote name='"F paper"']this may not nesc be for u alone, or at all, but

find yourself and find god[/quote]

Thanks brother, what about you? What is our view on our world?

4. also known as, find your inner child

it would be complicated to explain my world view right now, but maybe we can post about it

5. What do you mean by inner child? And if you want, I'd like someone to talk to.

6. I believe we all come to a self searching point in our lives, usually later in life. We look at ourselves and see we are too caught up in things like media, drama, work, and we DO lose sight in what is (or should be) important. Though, if we search too far we almost find that it's sad to live. We create relationships with people and we live our lives and all strive to be free, retired, and have time to do what we want, but by the time we get there financially in our society, it may be too late and we become unhappy and we realize that life must end. We will leave everything we've worked for and that life may be a waste of time. Sure live while your young like there's no tomorrow but you'll still die and we are afraid to die, or at least I am. Nature should be important. Who is to say that humans are above any animals? We are all part of the same ecosystem on earth. We share the land and resources and we don't recognize how dependent we actually are to this earth. The industrialized world reaps our earth and I'm personally afraid of how far we will dabble into science and medicine that it could backfire against us. I have many views and some are conflicting. We need to be happy but how do we know if we are REALLY happy? Ignorance; bliss? I think so. But knowing it is bliss is depressing. I try not to get caught up in our society too much because I'm afraid of not turning out to be really happy. But in the moment, I feel happy. Maybe that is what is truly important. To be happy in the moment. And the moments that connect each moment until death is what is important. But we shouldn't look forward to future moments too much because then we are missing out on so many more moments to be happy in. But what is happiness? The absence of sorrow? How do we know what sadness is? The absence of happiness? You tell me.

7. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyYWqhNgU6Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyYWqhNgU6Y[/ame]

hahaha

8. #8 LittleJacob, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
    I can relate a lot OP. I feel the same way as you on virtually every point. Nature is so important, yet we have gotten SO entrenched in and caught up with this modern civilization that it has been relegated to the dregs of complete irrelevance. To many, all that matters is working there job, getting a job and keeping a job, finding a fuck, do this do that etc etc. My point is, it's like one big hamster one wheel. Just going through the motions of the life the culture has told you is the one you must live.

But like you said - each person has to find what THEY think is important in life. We are all going to die one day. Just like every little squirrel lives, gathers his nuts, does his thing then dies, so it is with us. None of this crap about striving and trying to hard to get all of this crap that only matters to humans (success... correctness... tradition... all of this is human mental constructs purely, yet for many these things govern their entire life)... none of this crap matters because in the end we all die.

I agree, we do have to find what is important to each of us. I relate strongly to your post. Although I've been lucky to always have a good group of close friends, and at least 1-2 really good best friends, I too have always felt somewhat different from most. Not by choice, not out of arrogance, just my nature I guess. When I was 18 I realized everything you're talking about and REALLY wanted to get my own place out in nature and just meditate and contemplate and life in peace among nature.... and then I wanted to live in a Buddhist or Taoist monastery for some time.

The thing is, at that time my attachments to my friends and family and passion (Music) were too strong, and I didn't really have the means to make such a thing happen (I was 18 and broke as a joke lol). But that deep desire for time by myself in nature has not gone away at all. I'm a little older and now, and though I still don't have the means or desire to fly to China and chill at a monastery, I still have the deep desire to simply wander around in nature like a free animal and just BE. Wander aimlessly without any goals, any real destination, any obligations... just myself, my thoughts/imagination and the vast untouched earth in front of me.

So now I have the plan, next summer, to spend the entire spring and maybe summer hiking and camping around either the appalachian or the Pacific Crest Trail. Basically, just walk all day along mountain trails that go all the way across the US north-south. And along the way camp. I want to do this just to get hat experience of the purity and peace and awe of nature. I used to get that a lot as a young kid, exploring the woods with my best friend (back when I REALLY used to live).... I really miss that. I also plan on doing this program called WWOOF, where you can travel to organic farms across the world, volunteer your time and labor on the farm in exchange for free shelter, organic food, and hands on farming training. That's another way i plan to get away from everything and just relaxing in nature.

I have plans of things I'd like to do in "society", mostly in the way of "waking people up" through art and music and writing, and helping ease suffering through the cultivaton of health on all levels, physical and mental/emotional. But I think ultimately I see myself living a nice quiet life with a soul mate out in nature, to me, it gets no better :) (cant forget the homegrown ganj at out side too lol)

Kind of a long post, sorry about that. But just wanted to let you know that you're not alone... I relate a lot. :smoke: Peace

• Like Like x 1
  9. Future Unibomber ALERT!!!

You have been WARNED.

10. [quote name='"LittleJacob"']I can relate a lot OP. I feel the same way as you on virtually every point. Nature is so important, yet we have gotten SO entrenched in and caught up with this modern civilization that it has been relegated to the dregres of complete irrelevance. To many, all that matters is working there job, getting a job and keeping a job, finding a fuck, do this do that etc etc. My point is, it's like one big hamster one wheel. Just going through the motions of the life the culture has told you is the one you must live.

But like you said - each person has to find what THEY think is important in life. We are all going to die one day. Just like every little squirrel lives, gathers his nuts, does his thing then dies, so it is with us. None of this crap about striving and trying to hard to get all of this crap that only matters to humans (success... correctness... tradition... all of this is human mental constructs purely, yet for many these things govern their entire life)... none of this crap matters because in the end we all die.

I agree, we do have to find what is important to each of us. I relate strongly to your post. Although I've been lucky to always have a good group of close friends, and at least 1-2 really good best friends, I too have always felt somewhat different from most. Not by choice, not out of arrogance, just my nature I guess. When I was 18 I realized everything you're talking about and REALLY wanted to get my own place out in nature and just meditate and contemplate and life in peace among nature.... and then I wanted to live in a Buddhist or Taoist monastery for some time.

The thing is, at that time my attachments to my friends and family and passion (Music) were too strong, and I didn't really have the means to make such a thing happen (I was 18 and broke as a joke lol). But that deep desire for time by myself in nature has not gone away at all. I'm a little older and now, and though I still don't have the means or desire to fly to China and chill at a monastery, I still have the deep desire to simply wander around in nature like a free animal and just BE. Wander aimlessly without any goals, any real destination, any obligations... just myself, my thoughts/imagination and the vast untouched earth in front of me.

So now I have the plan, next summer, to spend the entire spring and maybe summer hiking and camping around either the appalachian or the Pacific Crest Trail. Basically, just walk all day along mountain trails that go all the way across the US north-south. And along the way camp. I want to do this just to get hat experience of the purity and peace and awe of nature. I used to get that a lot as a young kid, exploring the woods with my best friend (back when I REALLY used to live).... I really miss that. I also plan on doing this program called WWOOF, where you can travel to organic farms across the world, volunteer your time and labor on the farm in exchange for free shelter, organic food, and hands on farming training. That's another way i plan to get away from everything and just relaxing in nature.

I have plans of things I'd like to do in "society", mostly in the way of "waking people up" through art and music and writing, and helping ease suffering through the cultivaton of health on all levels, physical and mental/emotional. But I think ultimately I see myself living a nice quiet life with a soul mate out in nature, to me, it gets no better :) (cant forget the homegrown ganj at out side too lol)

Kind of a long post, sorry about that. But just wanted to let you know that you're not alone... I relate a lot. :smoke: Peace[/quote]

LOL it's all good dude. I read it all and though I wouldn't exactly want to fly to China, traveling mountains and from farm to farm sounds fulfilling. It's good to know I'm not actually alone in my predicament. I guess it's not really a predicament it's just life. I just gotta figure out what makes me really happy and go after it. I'm sure it'll come to me eventually. Good luck, brother. Peace :bongin:

11. If you think you want to lead an unorthodox life, just be sure you really want it before you commit.

12. check out my thread in my sig.

You are completely right.

13. I feel exactly as you do OP. My whole life I have dedicated to swaying from the norm, waking people up to their actions and repercussions. I want the world to realize exactly what they are doing, and how they can fix it. Because I am so different I have no friends (real best friends I hangout with) at this point, I lost them because they think so radically different. Even though I am at the loneliest place in my life so far, I know it can get lonelier the path darker, and I will embrace it because it's a journey and I will inevitably learn from it. Just know there are people out there like you, and next time you look up at the stars realize that we all came from there, both you me and everyone who ever lived.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUiwTubYu0]Bill Hicks - It's Just A Ride - YouTube[/ame]

14. You could always do what this guy did... he's not too bad off.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6GdEqw10IA&feature=g-all-c]Right After Double Rainbow - YouTube[/ame]

He clearly has a pretty good time hahaha:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI]Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow 1-8-10 - YouTube[/ame]

15. I feel you! We are constantly being conditioned. So many people are fixated on "things" and physicality. There is a definite imbalance when it comes to mind, body, and soul.

I often feel like a circle surrounded by squares. It can be difficult to go your own way, but it's something that will make you happier in the end. Some thrive off of what money can buy, but that's because they just haven't really had an awakening/awareness to it all.

Just surround yourself with like minded people, and forget about everything else. Be one with that which humbles your soul.

16. Thanks for all the replies, good to know that I'm not alone!

17. I feel like this too. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. Let me pose this question to you, however...

Do you feel that since you're more or less 'aware' of society's over-dependancy on superficial concepts, it's a 'duty' to spread this self-realization?

Also how do you feel about all these 'superficial concepts' just being the step in the earth's evolution? What if 'nature' as we define it, no longer fits that definition?

18. I have dedicated my life to waking the others.

19. [quote name='"Mangoskunk"']If any one has any thoughts or ideas, feel free to talk about them![/quote]

Seclusion is nice. But so is human interaction. Especially when you have a few humans to play their role in conversational interjection. Do you have a group of friend with similar mindsets? Just out of pure curiosity :)