Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

wisdom tooth removal... a few questions

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by PMoney, Aug 18, 2010.

1. #1 PMoney, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010
    well, alot actually. i'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth removed soon, 2 are erupting and one is impacted. my jaw is killing me right now, and my teeth alignment has definitely changed over the past week or so. so i have some questions about the procedure + before/after.
    1. the referral sheet my dentist gave me says not to smoke at least one day prior to the surgery, and i know you aren't supposed to smoke for at least 24 hours afterward, but how long am i really going to have to go without a cigarette/green? will i even notice the nicotine withdrawal if i'm on oxycontin/painkillers?
    2. how is the general anesthesia? exactly how "unconscious" are we talking when they give me the gas/iv? sleep, or just a sleep-like state?
    3. i've heard that you can bite down on green tea bags to help the healing process and blood clotting. has anybody tried it? also, there's a rumor that you can do this while smoking to prevent a dry socket, is there any truth to that?
    4. has anybody had the procedure done and noticed a general relief from jaw tension or symptoms such as TMJ disorder, and is it possible for my teeth to realign after the nasty little molars are out?
    5. about how long should i be stuck on the couch like a vegetable?

i know those are alot of questions that most of you probably won't be able to answer, but i just need some clarity on what to expect from someone who's had the surgery before.

2. all i can tell you is that i had a few teeth pulled and it sucked balls so i smoked my brains out (weed and cigarettes) and i never got dry socket. idk.

3. i got all four wisdom teeth removed and they were all impacted

you're looking at a solid week of no fun in terms of your mouth feeling like it's been throwing down with a lawn mower. my mouth took about six months to begin to feel like it was my mouth again. i lost some mobility in my jaw nbecause some of it was drilled out.

get your hands on some ice cream before you get cut. itl be your best bud for a good sturdy while.

make sure you've got somebody to pick you up after surgery because you'll be a menace behind the wheel if you try driving yourself home

i was given a mask with gas
    the doctor asked me to start counting back from ten
    and i remember hitting about six and telling her "this stuff is heavy, huh?" with what i can only assume was a grin

i woke up an hour or so later thinking that i hadnt been cut yet
    and i certainly had
    it took a while for everything to register.

i dont remember much about the ride back

they gave me about sixty percocets (probably five or ten mgs.. not that fucking 30 mg turn you into an addict shit)

i made the mistake of blowing some of them and finishing all of them, but i was younger when it happened and i did
    just take them and i wouldnt suggest finishing your prescription unless you like hard drug

in terms of smoking cigs
    dude i'd highly suggest against it
    cig smoke is dirty as fuck and very hot

i smoked weed right away but i needed my budies to rip bongs for me before i was able to clear them. the suction of ripping a bong could have caused me to suck blood clots out of my gums.

shit isnt fun, man
    get ready for a period of time where your regular activities will be altered some, but you shouldnt be couch locked for more than a day

4. hey gave me about sixty percocets (probably five or ten mgs.. not that fucking 30 mg turn you into an addict shit)

5/10mg percs cant get you addicted?:confused:

5. omg, thats funny, i think one of my wisdom teeth is growing through right now as i type this and it hurts like shit :(

6. Just don't cause any suction when you toke and you can.

Make a gravity bong/waterfall and brew it, but just push the bottle into the water while inhaling the smoke so you don't suck out the blood clots. This is how I managed to toke, like the evening after my operation occurred. I wouldn't smoke cigarettes though.

Have fun man.

7. Luckily I was blessed with not having wisdom teeth at all (does that make me a dumb ass for not having wisdom?). Anyways, I've had 8 teeth pulled at once due to crowding and I do not recommend smoking right after as dry sockets are awful. I'd say give it a couple days at least and then start off slow. Possibly maybe use a hookah or vaporizer so you don't get actual smoke in your mouth, but water vapor. As someone mentioned above, suction in the mouth may tear your stitches (my mouth healed fast so I pulled half my stitches out on the 2nd day with only minor blood). Maybe also try soft edibles like soft sugar cookies or something. Being put under really isn't too bad. It's like being knocked out, just a part of your life which you don't recall. You'll wake up feeling somewhat groggy and shitty and with the worst cottonmouth ever!

P.S.- ALL NARCOTIC PAINKILLERS ARE PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY ADDICTIVE! But yeah they might start you off with 7.5mg or 10mg hydrocodone depending on who your oral surgeon/dentist is. Sometimes they'll skip to 5mg percocets. As a previous opiate addict, I've seen people puke from just the 10mg percocets. Please don't abuse your medication as I'd hate to see someone have to go down the same road as I did. Best of luck fellow blade.

8. #8 BigTrees, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
    guys obviously i'm not saying that 5/mg's of percocet or oxycodone cant get you addicted

i'm saying that they're not nearly as powerful. you need to pop six of them if you're tking fives, and 3 if you're taking tens to get that sort of effect / dosage

i cant really discuss it here but i've taken the 5 or tens before on the prescription and i couldnt imagine taking the 30's in the same capacity

and i'm a big dude. i was at least 215 lbs when i had my shit removed in college. the 5's were enough for me.

a 30 mg percocet would DO ME IN.

80 mg percocets /oxy's are generally meant for people with serious illnesses who needn't be totally concerned with longterm quality of life issues
    and 30's are getting close to 80's

i cannot imagine taking i cannot imagine taking sixty of those bad boys over a period of a few weeks

9. Don't smoke...dry sockets are 100% not worth it. I got all 4 of mine removed at once and they put me under, I just remember waking up so out of it, groggy and talking a bunch of nonsense to my madre hah. she got a kick out of it, but yea I was out for a week, lost a few pounds due to the liquid diet and stayed a vegetable the whole week. The drugs made that possible :) it's not too bad. the pain after the oral surgeon though can get pretty strong but pop them pills!!! responsibly that is lol

10. I got all 4 of mine removed. But they didn't give me a gas mask or anything, they shot some local anesthetic in my gums, and that's it. I didn't feel anything but the pressure of the teeth being wedged off of my jaw (with a little bit of bone ;) ) Afterwards I felt light headed (a strange kind of high I guess), and blood never stopped coming out that day, afterwards it calmed down.

I suggest you take some arnica montana (wolf's bane) pills (it's holistic medicine) three days before the surgery. I did so and I did not swell up ONE BIT.

I suggest you eat a lot of water based ice cream. Also, when you spit out the blood (and you will be doing this) don't SPIT it out, just let it ooze out into the sink, you don't want to make any pressure on your mouth so that it heals as quickly as possible. (that means no drinking from straws either). In a few days/ week you should be able to eat soft foods. (try to chew it with your front teeth tho)

I smoked weed like the day after, but you have to be really cautious. Try to make it a joint and give gentle tokes, with your mouth a little open (to not make too much pressure)

REALLY advise you against smoking cigarettes though, you don't want to get infected!

Took some pictures too. Not sure if I'm allowed to post bloody pictures here though haha. :p

Good luck.

11. #11 Statistical, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
    1. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled they didn't tell me I couldn't smoke 24 hours before hand, He just told me not to smoke 24 hours after because the pulling you do to take a drag off of a cigarette or a blunt,joint, ect. Can aggravate the extraction site and cause a blood clot to form and dangle around in you mouth, I got around it easily by just not pulling as hard ;)

2. General anesthesia? My dentist just gave me a few needles in my gum. I didn't feel a thing except pressure, which didn't hurt at all.

3. I've heard about that but I do not believe it's necessary. I didn't have any complication due to not biting down on a tea bag.

4. I have TMJ and honestly the extraction relieved it a little bit, but I still get my fare ups, which still hurt just as bad.

5. I wasn't stuck anywhere, right after my extractions I was out and about smoking with my friends, It really didn't hurt much, But I'm sure the mixture if percs and weed helped alot :)

Edit:Also make sure that you rise your mouth out with mouthwash often, DO NOT BRUSH!

12. P.s. Good luck with your extraction! :)

13. yeah shit. I have my bottom left wisdom tooth coming in, the top left about to and neither on the right because I never chew on that side. I think the molars in front of the wisdom teeth are misaligned and there's some minor discomfort, probably need to go have them looked at.

14. No solid answer to give on this one. Getting dry socket is an extremely painful thing and I personally would advise against it. The last time I had to have an extraction I used the time to actually quit smoking.

With IV sedation from your perspective you will go to sleep and awake when the procedure is done. To the dentist you actually are awake and responsive (they can ask you to turn your head and you will, that type of thing). I have been put under twice by IV sedation and both times I went to sleep in a matter of seconds and it felt like I had just closed my eyes when I awoke.

Green tea will help if you are having bleeding issues (or so they say) but I didn't have much luck with it the one time I tried. It is supposed to have an agent that helps induce blood clotting. That said dry socket is when you "suck" the clot out of the empty socket where your tooth once was so I can't see this really helping during smoking. If you put enough pressure on the clot(s) then it may help but it could also possibly hurt.

As far as how long until the drugs wear off you shouldn't have to wait too much more than an hour or so (you'll most likely be wanting to take your pain killers about then). If you are wondering how long until you are eating like normal it really depends on the specific case. I would say probably a week or two.

I'm not an expert but I hope this helps :D

15. Had all four removed a month ago

1. Just don't smoke. Smoking will fuck up your stitches, and it's also not worth getting a dry socket. Just take 15mg of hydrocodone. My surgeon prescribed me a shitload of 7.5/325 APAP

2. Gas gets you high as fuck. The fentanyl will put you into a sleep like state. You will be extremely comfortable.

3. Swelling is the main concern. If you have a good oral surgeon it's not going to hurt and you don't need to do anything extra to help the healing process. Put a big fat icepack on your face

4. Has anybody had the procedure done and noticed a general relief from jaw tension? Yes

5. You should be off the couch the day after the surgery, but since you're going to be baked on pills...

edit: I ate normally after 4 days because I'm a bad motherfucker

16. You WILL NOT get oxycontin for a wisdom tooth extraction. You will usually get t3's. SOMETIMES you may get percodans. As much as I'm sure you dont want to hear it, this would be a good opportunity to take a break from smokes and weed. I quit for 2 weeks.

Believe me, dry sockets are incredibly painful.

I was knocked the fuck out during the entire extraction and apparently I was very stoned when woke up and most of the remaining day. Which I'm inclined to believe because I didn't remember that entire day. I got the IV

I was out for a week.