Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Wisdom Teeth removal, Cannabis as a pain reliever

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by jsav, Jun 10, 2010.

1. My girlfriend is getting her wisdom teeth out in a month or so. She's gonna be miserable (just as I was), and am thinking that some cannabis might help her out in her situation. Has anyone used marijuana as pain medicine? I know it's not on the same level as some opioid medications, but I know from experience than THC has helped me out big time with some pain. She would be using a vaporizer; she would never smoke anything in her life. She's never used marijuana before. Think cannabis would help her out in not feeling like crap for a few days?

2. It might help, but for the first 72(?) hours after getting your teeth pulled you're not supposed to use a straw, or do any kind of sucking motion.. Smoking or vaping both involve it.

It might help with the pain, but if she develops a dry socket as a result, she's going to be in WAY more pain... Women already get dry socket more than men, and if she uses hormonal contraceptives it puts her at an even bigger risk already.

3. What about if I made her some tea or made it into some sort of food for her? Or if she simply breathed the vapor or something like that?

4. If she has never smoked or used edibles before, it might be a good idea to get her used t it ahead of time. ;):smoke:

5. OK, dry sockets are rather unpleasant, but if you are careful and do not disturb the blood clot in the hole, there's no problem. Just tell her to inhale very gently! I've had teeth removed more than once and was toking as soon as I got home! Never-ever had a dry socket! :D You just have to think about what you are doing!

Now, FYI, as a pain killer, cannabis is equal to codeine! (and I don't know about her, but codeine upsets my stomach badly!) Cannabis is non-addictive and has none of the drawbacks of opioids.

The analgesic properties of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and codeine.
    (abst - 1975)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Cannabis effective at relieving pain after major surgery (news - 2006)
    Cannabis effective at relieving pain after major surgery

Cannabis 'best for pain relief' after operations (news - 2006)
    Cannabis 'best for pain relief' after operations | Evening Standard; London (UK) Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

Tinctures are usually alcohol based and would sting like the dickens! Edibles take 20 minutes to a couple of hours to "come on". Vaping give almost immediate relief.

While she is recovering, show her my list- just click the "MMJ Studies" link in my sig. It will help keep her mind off the pain! :D

Granny :wave:

6. I would think the Mepergan , or Percocet 10 she's going to get would actually work a little better than the cannabis.

7. As long as you aren't creating negative pressure in your mouth, you'll be fine. Most methods of smoking WILL create pretty good negative pressure, though. A vaporizer of basically any kind should be fine as they don't require that you suck hard. If your cheeks are sucking in at all, it's too much pressure.

Eating it will be completely fine. The only danger is creating enough negative pressure in your mouth that the clot becomes dislodged.

8. She's not getting anything that strong, just some mild hydrocodone. And I think it'll probably upset her stomach. This is another area the cannabis kicks in: its antiemetic properties as well as analgesic properties.

I have the extreme Q, which has the whole "Vapor on demand" thing (no fans, just breathe and the vapor will come to you). I barely put any sucking pressure on the whip and manage to get pretty freakin' ripped. Better yet, I can turn the fans on and have the vapor forced as she breathes to take off some of the sucking pressure!

9. Still break her in gently so that she has a feeling of what to expect. Start now and increase after the extraction.:):smoke:

10. for my extractions, the dentist had me not smoke for 48 hours. It's the same if you have 1 out or all of them according to her. She also recommends not smoking for 48 hours before the extractions (96 hours total) S I have picked that time to quit smoking cigs.

It sounds as if using the fan would be the best bet. Even with it off it sounds as if there is not too much sucking going on.

I also think that you shouldn't have her first time getting high be when she is in pain. Tell her everything she needs to know about it beforehand Have her go at her own pace. Tell her to take two hits and then wait 20 minutes to see how she feels. That way if she only wants a buzz and more will be scary, she'll be alright. If she wants to do more 2 hits every 20 minutes until appropriate high for her tastes.

Good luck, hope she has fun!

Sammy

11. you could be romantic and suck it into ur mouth and then have her inhale it out of yours

12. #12 larceny, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
    i wouldnt do it i smoked after i had mine done and the dry sockets were terrible. Ice cream is your best friend it just numbs the pain and its delicious.

13. Before I had my teeth pulled cannabis seemed to be the only instant pain reliever that actually helped me.... After I had my wisdoms removed I just had the bf blow a few hits in my ear very gently when it'd start hurting... worked great for me

14. BULL SHIT hahahahha

15. Its not BS, your ear canal is connected to your nasal cavity (which if you smoke normally, the smoke you inhale goes thru that cavity). Did you smoke too much during biology class??:smoke:

16. just got mine out 2weeks ago. I made a batch of brownies with cannabutter and i didnt smoke for the first 5days. between the brownies and the hydrocodone she'll be just fine dont worry lol

17. I like the guy's idea with the ice cream... make her some 'special' ice cream:D

18. #18 trackball, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
    I just smoked from my homemade bong, thick slide, lots of airflow with minimal pressure and my teeth feel fine now. i dunno what a dry socket feels like but i dont think i have one. I just did slow baby hits and tried not to inhale harder than a normal breath. Everything feels good, i say give it a shot.

EDIT: 2 very small bowls and 4 hours later
    I dunno if this was because of the Vicodin or the the fact that i was lying around all day or what but i just blacked out for a second while i was walking back to my room from the bathroom. I wonder if the THC and the Vicodin combined with possible dehydration dropped by BP really low? Hmm, all i know is im not standing up again. Just keepin ya updated :)

19. did you have to breath in from your nose while he was doing it?
    could you breath it back out your lungs?
    is it as efficient?

20. you could inhale the vapor through your nose, or even use a bubbler or small bong to cause as little irritation in the nasal passages as possible. Smoking a dry piece through your nostril can be pretty harsh, but its better than a dry socket :smoking: