Wiring question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by satogob, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Hello everyone! I'm new to both GC and growing and I need some sound advice on connecting a few things. I have a 400 W Lumatek digital ballast that I want to connect to a basic reflector w/ ceramic holder (photo attached). Since I have absolutely zero experience with electrical wiring I wanted to make sure that I connect the two properly so as not to start a house fire or draw attention to my grow. :eek: Do I just match the colors (i.e. blue to blue, green&yellow to green & yellow, brown to black)? Also do I need to strip the sheath a bit before inserting the wires into the socket?

My second question concerns the ventilation system. The fan's socket has two wires, both black, one of which has 1 printed on it, however my cable has three wires (brown, blue and green/yellow) and I am not sure how to connect these (photo attached). I appreciate any help you guys can offer!

Attached Files:

2. Typically yes you would just match the colors the green yellow wire is going to be the ground wire, and the colored wires are the hot leads,are the lights 240volts or 110volts if its 240 the colors are both doing the same thing, post a pic of the little plate that had all the electrical I do on it.

3. But yes the one connection that has all the matching colored wires in the first pic just match the colors no need to strip back any more of the jacket that's plenty of copper showing, I just wanna see the info for the second pic with the two black wires.

4. On the light just match the colors. on the fan the black wire with writing on it is most likely the 'white' or positive wire while the solid black is negative. Of the wires coming into the fan, the green/yellow is most likely your ground wire. If this is the case you can connect the other two wires to the two blacks in whatever order causes the fan to turn in the direction it is supposed to. If I was to guess I'd say the blue wire is the positive. As to the green/yellow you could just clip it off and not worry about it of find a way to attach it to the fan housing itself thereby grounding the fan.

5. Pic attached. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

6. The fan's housing is made of plastic but it did come with a metal plate though it might be a bit tricky to attach it to that.

7. If the housing is metal you don't need to attach it as it wouldn't work, just wire nut it off.

8. Yeah it helped, it's 230volts,both of the black wires are doing the same thing just hook one wire to each and if the fan goes the wrong way just swap the wires.

9. Glad we could make it work for ya.

10. I'll give it a whirl in a few days and let you know how it goes. I'm also thinking of attaching a speed controller to the fan to regulate temperature. Thanks for your help!