wire and solder for cobs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Reo, Jul 7, 2017.

1. hey guys doing the final push gathering my supplies for the cobs I'm getting in. the things I've overlooked till now is gauge of wire and soldering to the cob itself. right now I'm looking in the ball park of running 15' of wire from driver to light to driver again

Now I see some people running 18awg wire but what about 14awg wire? I'm trying to look for some 2/14 captire cord ( heavy extension cord with high wire strand count)

And soldering, the goal is to be in and out ASAP considering its circuitry right.

And last is a 12vdc PSU I need a 1-4 amp unit to power my heatsink fans. I don't know where to begin to look for them as I need something shortly. Or even what to consider as all I can think about is those wall warts.

2. Meh I'm from the old school R.C. days where you solder in your electronics or you don't play. Not to say I haven't thought about those quick connectors, just I have the whole Sha bang for soldering

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. found that I had ran too much wire between the driver and cobs in my remote driver setup.

4. For 15 feet the heavier gauge is what I would choose, if its more than a couple of amps going through it. However, if you're just pushing 1400 mA or less, 18 g will work fine. I just use speaker wire from Fry's.

Wall warts are great for running fans. 1 or 1.5 amp wall wart will run 6-8 fans easily.