Wine Preparation

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Ella Rollins, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Hello all,
    Do you prepare homemade wine?? I just tried it last month and it looked good and tasted good. But within some days after storage it started tasting alcoholic and vinegar tasting. I recently happened to read an article which mentioned the things which should not be done while wine storage (Tips For Properly Storing Your Wine In A Cellar | Lancaster). I was doing everything wrong before reading this article. Hope this'll be useful for beginners in wine preparation like me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey... Thank you for sharing. Good post.

3. #3 forty winks, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    If it's homemade wine then it was more than likely contaminated with the vinegar bacteria during the making. Could be due to improper sanitation of each and every item that comes into contact during the wine making process.

Storage could also have something to do with it. For example my father used to store his demijohns of wine in the same room he kept his homemade vinegar. Eventually, most of his stored wine took on a vinegary taste. Acetobacter has a very capable will to live.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I felt that it'll be useful for many because my first wine was spoiled just because of how I stored it. Now I've got an idea about how to store it properly. If you have any wine recipes, please let me know. It's Christmas time and i'm really eager to prepare different varieties..

5. Like forty winks said, making sure all of your equipment is clean is important to keep bacteria from ruining your wine. Also make sure it is stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.

What kind of wine do you want to make? I've made grape, mulberry, strawberry, blackberry, and peach wine. I typically use this recipe as a basis
    How to Make Heavenly Homemade Wine
    I've made grape and mulberry wine without yeast as well, it just takes longer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. [QUOTE="Cereal Killer, post: 23165117, member: 400619"
    I've made grape and mulberry wine without yeast as well, it just takes longer.[/QUOTE]

That's impressive and tricky. It's the old way of doing it. Some Belgian beer is still made that way, as you probably already know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I actually didn't know that! Belgian beer is so interesting, especially the Trappist beers. I've never brewed beer before, though I might try someday. The mulberry wine has always come out pretty well, it's my favorite! The grape has been hit or miss, so far we've only made one good batch without yeast.

• Like Like x 1