Windows 7

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by MrGers, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Anyone tried it? ?I have the 32bit version but am waiting for the 64 to install it. anyone?

2. that shit is out already?

3. I've been running the 64 bit version for maybe 3 weeks now. I'm liking it, overall feels a bit faster then vista.

I really like the new task bar too.

4. i had the beta version for a while now

screen saver and some games didnt work properly
    and i had a hard time looking for my audio driver

but thats only because its the beta, the released version will probably fix those problems

5. Im using the 32 bit professional version, I'd say it's like what vista should have been. And yes Windows 7 RTM is available on MSDN

6. Yeah man 7's the shit.
    I been running the RTM (7600) since mid July and this shit is flawless. Faster than Vista in every way and even fast on older computers that Vista wouldn't even install on. My old "XP" box actually ran faster with 7 then it did with XP...

7. can someone link me to the 64bit version, if there is a link?

8. yea, I've been running the beta for a few months...theres a bunch of updated base applications and it looks almost exactly like vista but runs and feels a million times better...and it has some crazy backgrounds

9. Yeah dude, some of those backgrounds should be rated X... no joke.

10. lol that cracks me up for some reason, I can't wait to get my copy lol. when will they start selling units with it pre-installed you think?

11. Windows 7 is a a lot like Vista. It's a big, heavy operating system with a lot of overhead and a lot of emphasis on visual appearance. Overall I'm not super-impressed. Overall performance is similar to Vista; still seems slower than XP in my opinion. However, like Vista, it has a huge advantage over XP in terms of network throughput.

I'm not a fan of the new taskbar; mostly because the QuickLaunch as I know it is gone; no longer can I always open an application with just 1 click of the mouse. Also, though, there is no text to label each open window; just the icon.

I believe the release date is October 22.

12. wow way to kill it for me. honestly though, no quicklaunch? I use that so much!?!

i am hurt and confused ahah

13. There is quick launch, just pin an app to the task bar, noobs.

14. Here it is set up without huge icons and without it combining multiple windows of the same app

[​IMG]

Took me a minute to get used to but I really like it now.

15. #15 Fëanor, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
    It doesn't function quite the same way; once you have the application open you have to click twice to open another instance of the application.

You can configure it almost the way the Vista taskbar worked, but unfortunately a lot of my job involves desktop support so it is better to train myself to use the default settings as much as possible. Sadly I can't configure every computer in the company the way I want it :D

But even with the configuration in your screenshot, Ak, the quicklaunch becomes spread out as you open windows so the "QuickLaunch" shortcuts move around. Also the windows will be sorted based on how you organize the pinned taskbar items, rather than being arranged in the sequence that they were opened in.

You can add the QuickLaunch as a menu, but still that requires more than one simple click to open an application.

It is not the end of the world, just a minor downside from my point of view.

16. I don't have Windows 7, but I have the Windows 7 Transformation Pack. It just makes it look like Windows 7...

:(

17. It does. I've been using the final version for over a month now.

18. i installed it a while ago and im never switching
    get it, its worth it.

19. I had the RC version. I was immediately pleasantly surprised. It's faster than XP.