Windows 7 or 8?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Quagsire, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Working on a gaming pc build, and windows 8 will be out before I finish the build. So should I get windows 8 for my pc instead of windows 7?

2. Go for 7.

3. Get 7. There's gonna be bugs at 1st with 8 and 7 is a good OS. If anything make 2 partitions and do both

4. windows 8 is coming out this week so i would say just wait 5 days and find out for yourself. they are also releasing their horribly overpriced Surface tablet too (its a shame because i was excited for it until i saw the price tag)

5. 7, 8 is gonna be awful.

6. I'm not gonna bother upgrading, windows 7 was pretty good.

7. alright seems like a pretty clear answer. thanks guys.

8. I can upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 8 Pro for $59.99, a promo I just got from Newegg. I might give it a try...

9. Windows 8 Pro download is $40 on windows.com...why is it so cheap?

10. 7 dude. Hell, I try to use XP whenever possible. Man those were the days. Seriously makes me sad:( Im a computer nerd.

11. got it for 16$ because i got a promo for buying win 7 computer recently...

Im downloading now, i want to install on another HDD and dual boot just to check it out...

got it for so cheap might as well lol :smoking:

12. #12 MrGers, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
    As an IT guy i've had a decent amount of experience with windows 8 already. we've been running the betas on 2 machines since they started doing the betas.
    Windows 8 is not bad.
    Everything will work on it. the UI is different but you'll get used to it, it is intuitive. But, and it s a big ole butT, windows 8 is geared more toward tablets. if you have windows 7, there really isn't a need to get windows 8. the desktop feature of windows 8 is essentially windows 7. so i prolly wont upgrade any time soon, but i'm super hyped to get a surface with win8 pro(available in feb?).

But do not be afraid of windows 8. it's happening, and it's gonna be pretty cool.

13. [quote name='"Craiggers"']As an IT guy i've had a decent amount of experience with windows 8 already. we've been running the betas on 2 machines since they started doing the betas.
    Windows 8 is not bad.
    Everything will work on it. the UI is different but you'll get used to it, it is intuitive. But, and it s a big ole butT, windows 8 is geared more toward tablets. if you have windows 7, there really isn't a need to get windows 8. the desktop feature of windows 8 is essentially windows 7. so i prolly wont upgrade any time soon, but i'm super hyped to get a surface with win8 pro(available in feb?).

But do no be afraid of windows 8. it's happening, and it's gonna be pretty cool.[/quote]

Glad to hear about desktop mode
    I like to have all my icons on one desktop

14. #14 Fëanor, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
    Intuitive? Yeah, maybe opening a web browser is intuitive (because we all know how hard that was). But not an actual task. How the hell do I get to the control panel or administrative tools? As far as I can tell I have to manually create my own shortcut. Fuck that, Microsoft. Maybe I should just fucking use Linux at that point.

I'll stick with Windows 7. Already pissed at my roommate for upgrading his media center PC in the living room. :D

15. Im am triple booting now with Windows 8 Pro, Win 7 Ult. and Ubuntu.

That said, i always go to Win 7, and probably will unless 8 gets a update with some awesome shit.

As craiggers said, its more for touch screen. If i had a touch screen monitor id definitely use it more though.

Also it seems to be a small install for what it is. Went a lot faster than windows 7 ever did for me and is only 30 Gigs for the Pro version...

16. I'm really enjoying Windows 8.

It's definitely not as big of a pain in the ass as people are trying to make it seem. It does have a learning curve, but after that it just makes sense.

The speed boost to my system is tangible and quite nice, and for $15.99 I'm really happy with it.

17. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']I'm really enjoying Windows 8.

It's definitely not as big of a pain in the ass as people are trying to make it seem. It does have a learning curve, but after that it just makes sense.

The speed boost to my system is tangible and quite nice, and for $15.99 I'm really happy with it.[/quote]

You on a desktop? How well is metro treating you?

18. Laptop. No touchscreen.

I like Metro, tbh. I don't have any issue navigating it with a touchpad, but I've always been a keyboard junkie so I use hotkeys to get around most of the time anyway. I think Metro, specifically for non-touchscreen computers, will only get better as Microsoft receives more feedback.

I do find myself defaulting back to the desktop a lot, but I think that's because there aren't many Metro apps/programs available yet.

19. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

Laptop. No touchscreen.

I like Metro, tbh. I don't have any issue navigating it with a touchpad, but I've always been a keyboard junkie so I use hotkeys to get around most of the time anyway. I think Metro, specifically for non-touchscreen computers, will only get better as Microsoft receives more feedback.

I do find myself defaulting back to the desktop a lot, but I think that's because there aren't many Metro apps/programs available yet.[/quote]

If you ever do get tired of metro or want the option of having both a start menu and metro, Classic Shell is a highly customizable start menu replacement with lots of neat features