Wilting of ONE branch in a healthy plant?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by 1sttimegrower, May 5, 2012.

1. #1 1sttimegrower, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
    One wilted branch on otherwise healthy plant : can anything other than root rot cause this / has anyone seen this before?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So a few days ago I noticed on my outdoor DWC that I had a walted branch; like it had absolutely NO water. Anyone know what can cause this? - can not switching out the res ever just kill your plants eventually? PPMs and pH are fine, but this is still early in my excursions with hydro and I dunno what could do this other than root rot.

The roots are all brown tinged, but not slimy and no rot; neither does it smell rot. On top of that, I add a tea once every 3-4 days of EWC, and B. subtilis which help to prevent rot.

I upped the res in the recirc until well above net pots and poured in a decent amount of 3% H2O2 in case it was either drying out or rot. The next day I poured in fresh tea.

Anyone have ideas on what it is, or better, what causes it? The branch still looks like shit because it was wilted at least a full day before I over-filled the system, but it seems to have recovered slightly (little turgor in the leaves). However, the leaves are now yellowing and browning from the tips inwards (see pic)

Ignore the little dead patches at the edges of the leaves off to the right and above; I'm guessing its a salt burn from me never changing the res - only affects lower growth

Attached Files:

2. looks lik salt building up in the plant has it been flushed ?input /output #
    also NEVER USE 3%h2o2 it has stablizers in it that will harm ur plant plus if u used proper h2o2 solution ud kill ur benifials u added for rot prevention 3% -10%volume are the same product NEVER USE THESE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. #3 1sttimegrower, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
    Can salt build-up cause that wilt? I know there is a salt build which is causing some issues(the dead edges). I flushed with sledgehammer and changed the res only when bud sites began to show; 20 gallons through. Now I cycle filling fresh with feed. A lot of the salt damage is old news.

4. if it is outside it's has more chance of insect problems,
    have a look for any marks on that branch and under the leaves..
    middy

5. Definatly looks like salt build up but check round the stem and under leave for bugs.what is the temps like and humidity

6. @stickbuds Temps and humidity are w/e - its outdoors. Night doesn't drop too cold, and its not too dry nor wet out atm.

no bugs, except a couple of slugs in my res lid (yeah, I taped the panda film shut 360 around the edges with 3 layers of tape after that)

I flushed the system with sledgehammer in 10 gallons, then 40+ gallons water through (because the tangerine dream in the second bucket was developing some coppery-rust colored dots on the tops of the leaves, as well as getting weird, twisted, dried leaves) but the wilted branch was already recovering. However after the flush I swear those rust dots increased on the tangerine dream, and I spotted a few on the blue dream.