Will this work?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 420shadesofgrass, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Hi ents, I'm a begginer from Brazil and would like some inputs on the setup I'm working on. I am building a growbox made of cheap wood (15mm expessure). The box has 275cmx1,85cmx200cm (about 9'x6'x6,5'). I intend on separating 2 "chambers" of equal size (now that I write it, it doesn't seem such a great idea having them the same size. The flowering one should be bigger but I don't really have in mind the ideal partitioning) and placing 2x 400w hps with long range (think soccer field) reflectors on the flowering and 2x 400w hqi with the same reflectors on the vegetative. For ventilation I will be using a rather hard method but it is (everything is really) all about cost vs benefits. On each side a 300mm (12") exaustor (output 1500 m³/h or 882,8 CFM) canalized into 4 ducts 1 for each lamp (so 2 each side to cool them) and 2 of the same size as the exhaust on the top to remove any hot Air. On the bottom is 10x 80mm coolers with 30CFM each on each side to take care of Air intake (so 300cfm intake and 886 canalized outtake). I will also place a humidifier to maintain humidity (although I will only need it during Spring /Summer). Can this work guys? How many plants you guys think I Can grow At once with this setup? Is everything wrong? Should I rethink dimensions? (It would require woodwork and Im not familiar. This cheap wood comes in plaques this exact mesure. I will only need to cut so the height is 200cm). I have some years of experience growing outdoors but now I want to do indoors as it is quicker and more manageable. The soil is basic peat Moss, perlite, azomite, chicken manure, vermiculite and something we love using here that is castor oil plant pie with bone flour. I treat it with biobizz and some compost humus tea. They go absolutely crazy.
    So, what you guys think? Can this work? I have some dinafem moby Dick, ladyburn 1974, black russian and colombian gold here just waiting for me to grow some balls and do it already.
    Everything is already bought besides the box itself that I plan on buying today and building it as soon as I get home from work.
    Would appreciate some feedback, Thank!

Very crude sketch made in my phone while at the supermarket line [​IMG]

The Circles on top are the exhaustors and on the bottom the coolers, the 4 tentacles coming out of each are the ducts (just illustrating, I am going to use a 12" fixed metal galvanized duct and then 4 aluminized flexible ducts coming out of the main steel fixed channel).

Sent from my F3215 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. for a veg area you want maybe 1/3 - 1/4 the total area. So you might even want to change the wattage around to suit the area better...I dunno..or maybe get a dimmable ballast for the veg side.. The fans sound like they could work as long as they're adjustable...maybe a plenum box with individual chokes on each of the 4 ducts. This would give you full control over airflow. I think your plan of having a separate fan dedicated to each chamber will be the easiest route. I'd put speed controllers on the fans as well.

Intakes can be tough to balance out sometimes. Sometimes the intake fans won't be bringing in enough air and it will restrict the exhaust. In that case you might need to cut bigger intake holes and try big passive (lightproofed) intakes, or another intake fan.

If your soil is working good for you then give it a try...you might need to lighten it up a little for the seedlings so be careful. Make sure the soil is clean though if possible...you don't want to bring any bugs in with it.

good luck man...imo sometimes the hardest part of building is lightproofing everything lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You hit it right, lightproofing is tough but I do agree with you about passive air intake holes and bought this morning some braces to tighten up the connections. Thank you very much for your help, it resolved my last doubts. Now time to build it and Get it running. Will restrict veg area to 1/4 and sitck with only 1 hqi of 400w (osram e40).
    Whenever the setup is ready I will post it and keep a growing diary here.
    Thanks man :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Unsure about the wood enclosure...Will it not absorb moisture and warp??

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buzzer, it is a bit of problem I will admit it. No doubt it will get humid easily. My precautions are I will paint with sintetic impermeable paint on the inside and outside but, on the inside, I will be buying monday that same "tin foily" kind of material that the inside of professional grow tents use. It is my hope of containing the humidity and preventing fungi etc If it really doesnt help my solution will be a dehumidifier, as I live in a very hot and rainy place.

6. Sounds ok...I think you are thinking MYLAR...No tin foil(it does not reflect light well but does reflect heat!!)
    From the prices of Mylar rolls have seen, you could buy a tent!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yep, mylar, thats it! Haha
    Here in brazil the cheapest tents (like 80cmx80cmx120cm) dont go for less than 400 USD (about 1,2k reais). The roll at the hardware store with 50m of mylar is 70 USD or about 210-250 reais. I am saving money though as next year I want a tent bigger and will switch to LED. But with this setup I am spending around 500-600 USD to setup, wich for me is the most I could do at the moment.
    Thanks to Saint Mary(jane) everything is working well and next year I will upgrade to much a more ideal and cheaper setup to keep running.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Huh, I indeed will take a look, really did not cross my mind. Although we have a 60% tax on imports, now that you suggested it maybe even with the tax it is still be a better CostxBenefit. Even if it is a bit more expensive than this setup I would indeed prefer a more appropriate and professional one.
    Thank you very much for your suggestion man. Didnt buy the wood yet, so this looks more viable and definitive.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I highly recommend using flat white paint rather then mylar. Mylar reflects great but it's a bitch to keep clean and it will reflect more heat too. IMO flat white paint is a much better choice...I just use some kilz. If you paint the flooring too I recommend semi gloss for that as it's much easier to wipe off. ..and definitely go with plywood instead of particle board to prevent/slow any warping from moisture.

looking forward to the build if you decide to log it. Good luck :)

..and yeh a tent would be an easy choice to setup if you go that route. I just figured you were set on building something to keep it more hidden. But if you can use a tent, then by all means go for it. When building a box, the little extras can add up quick $$.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yeah, I'm weighing the pros and cons and it seems as it is just like you said. The cost will add up with Little things, though buying a tent here is impossible right now, importing from China seems a very viable option. If I go with the plywood I will definitely try without mylar first, I do believe the semi gloss white is quite reflective it self.
    Thank you guys very much, I will indeed log it as I think some experiences from diferent climates/products etc may contribute a lot to the growing duscussions.
    Again , Thank you guys very much. Helped me with every single doubt I had and Thanks for the great suggestions.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I'm building a small room, will post some pics in my thread later today, for the walls I used 2" thick, 4' x 8' styrofoam insulation board, its silver on one side and white on the other. I can move those wall to access the inside, the other two are part of the barn and covered with 3/4" thick. May not be availible down there.

12. Hmmm I do believe we have it but the problem here is the price as we dont have a harsh winter (think at most 14 celcius positive and we use everything when hits that haha) so as we generally do not use heating or insulation probably very expensive. But will Love to see those pictures, good luck man!