Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Will this plan work with sniffer dogs??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by BooshStep, May 17, 2010.

1. #41 Glass Clown, May 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
    First there is no such thing as airtight. Maybe in industrial applications or NASA, but you are not going to get any consumer product that will make any sort of seal tight enough. Second, people don't realize exactly how acute a dog's sense of smell is. Not only is their sense of smell 100 times more sensitive than a human's, but a huge portion of their brain is dedicated to parsing the information from their nose. They can discern between many mixed odors from a distant source. All it takes is for a handful of airborne molecules to escape your jar and that's going to happen within seconds of you sealing it.

Third, and most importantly, mason jars are designed to NOT be airtight. That's how the canning process works. You put stuff in them and then you boil them. That makes the air inside expand and escape the seal. When it cools again the air inside contracts and that's what seals a mason jar. The screw on ring is there only to hold the lid in place during the canning process. You can remove that ring after the jars cool. If you don't go through that process, you don't have any kind of seal, much less airtight. Any change in temperature or air pressure around that mason jar will expel scent that a dog will pick up in a heartbeat. Again, that will happen within seconds of you sealing the jar and no amount of washing will prevent it. In fact, by washing it if you cause any temperature change to that jar at all you will completely defeat the purpose of washing.

Maybe if you actually canned the weed like you do strawberry jam you might maybe have a seal tight enough to contain the smell, but I doubt it.

As has been said a lot of time already in this thread, the only chance you have is to fool the handler, not the dog, by making the handler think the dog is going after food rather than weed. Many of the dogs are too well trained for this, and if you don't think that cop has seen just about every trick in the book, you're mistaken. If the dog alerts on anything large enough to store weed in, the cop will search it, and how are you going to explain carrying around a jar of peanut butter or a bag of dogfood at a concert. Dogs can also be conditioned to a certain diet and to ignore food other than that diet.

The one thing that I don't know is whether a dog will alert on edibles. I am trying to find this out. I am around cops a lot but there is only one that I'm close enough to that might understand my weed smoking ways, and I'm not even sure I can trust him. The general concensus is that even if a dog does alert on edibles it would be next to impossible to prove they contain weed and the cops probably wouldn't bother with them.

Back in the early '80s, '81 I think, I went to a concert. There were two cops each with a dog that I had to walk by. I had five or six joints in my cigarette pack and about shit my drawers when I saw them, but I walked right by and nothing happened. The dogs have to be told to sniff something, and I don't know if they can just randomly put the dogs on people as their going by, that seems like a 4th amendment violation to me. They can't possibly check everyone in the place, and they are probably more interested in the people with harder drugs or slinging in the heads. But, if the dog gets put on you and you have weed, it's game over man.

Edit: Wikipedia says a dog's sense of smell is more like 100,000 to a million times more acute than a human's. It says scenthounds as a group have one to ten million times better smell than humans. So my original 100 times is way off.

2. See my lengthy post prior to this one. Mason jars are NOT airtight by design. Nothing short of a space capsule is airtight enough to prevent a dog smelling through it.

3. Detection dogs are trained to do a specific behavior when they alert on something. Bomb and corpse dogs are trained to a passive behavior, they sit down next to where they smelled something. You don't want a dog pawing at a bomb or a corpse. Drug dogs are trained to actively alert, they will scratch at the area they smell something in until they are rewarded. A well trained handler will know the difference between a well trained dog's reaction to weed and steak. They are still going to look through whatever the dog alerted on.

4. People vastly underestimate the power of the canine nose. You can't cover the smell with anything. A dog can smell all of that together and discern every different smell and know exactly what everything is (providing he's familiar with the scent.) You could put a hundred smelly things together with the weed, including things that smell like weed, and the dog could still pick every single scent out individually. He would still smell the weed in all that and you would be walking around smelling like peppers and deoderant which would probably invite suspicion anyway.

5. according to a friend f you put it in a jar of hair gel it wont smell for shit