Will this light bulb work?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 011010, Apr 24, 2007.

1. im sorry im very very new to this. I purchased this bulb at the local canadian tire though im not sure if this bulb will be suitable for a small 2-3 plant grow cabinet. I know it looks cheap and i have been reading on the stickys and all. Its a flood style lightbulb made by philips. Labeled Agro-Lite plant light. 150w "120V" Just wondering if a flouro light would be a better choice. These cost about 8 dollars per bulb and fit into most lamps which is convienient. My seeds have just sprouted and i'd like toget them under light a.s.a.p thanks

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Im still new to this to, but im gonna have to say no.... For the price you paid for that you could buy 6500k Daylight CFL's and those will work fine or at least they have for my 3 plants :)

3. where can i find these lights? do i have to go to a specialty store? or any homedepot?

4. Wal mart they're swirly flourescents get the ones that say 6500k daylight $6.44 for a pack of two.

5. i use the same lights excpet i got 2 75w and there not flood lights there flouresent and my seeds spourted in 2 days from seed soo they work but its a slower grow

6. how many of these bulbs should i buy to feed 2-3 plants. and isthere a limit to how much light i give them given that the heat/humidity etc are along guidlines found here on the forums?

7. Hi, im new at this too. From what I hear the minimum is 50watts per plant, but the reccomended wattage is 100 watts per plant. Just make sure when you go get them you look at the actual wattage (not the incadescent equivelent.)

8. A good rule of thumb is 75-100W per plant. How many you will need depends on what the bulbs actual wattage is. Always go by the actual wattage and not what is referred to as equivilant wattage. Your bulb may say it is equivilant to a 100W incadescent light, but it's actual wattage is more like 22W. So, you would need 4-5 22W bulbs per plant. So, for 3 plants you are talking about 12-15 22W bulbs per plant. this sounds like a safety hazard to me.

If you really want to grow with CFL's, and plenty fo people do for some reason, try finding a single 100-200W fixture. It will save you alot of headaches. Hydrofarm has some good ones. try something like this...

http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=125

You could probably grow 3 plants if you went with the 200W bulb.

Another option is to look at HPS and MH bulbs. These are by far the defacto choice for most serious growers.

Good luck

9. thanks a lot for the advice! Although im just wondering, will this bulb be sufficient in providing enough light for the seedling to grow? in other words, I have just germinated 3 of my bagseeds and im lookin to plant them a.s.a.p to see how the plant begins its life. I am just experimenting through trial/error and better familiarizing myself with what i should do. I'm very clear that this bulb will not be sufficient in the vegetative and flowering stage but i just want these darn seeds to live!

at the end of this week i'll have enough to buy a 400w hps light kit.

10. It would probably live, but unless your getting a metal halide conversion bulb with that HPS I would veg with daylight CFL's.

11. i was just wondering if these lights work i have 2 of them in a fixture with a reflector suspended above my plants just want to know if they will work or should i get better ones it is a sun lite cf type sl85/65k 85 watt incadescent equivalent is 350w