Will This Be Enough to Cool 1800W?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by awek420, Oct 3, 2014.

1. I have (3) 600's. 2 of them are in cool tubes, 1 in a vented hood. Cooling all 3 lights is a 6 inch 460cfm inline fan at the start, and a 6 inch 230cfm booster fan at the end. I do not run carbon filters at all, and the lighting ventilation is a closed system, so it's always sucking cool air. I think it should be enough to keep the lights cool, but what do you guys have to say about it?

Attached Files:

2. #3 Bongsauce, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
    I think you will get much better airflow if you turn all your hoods 90degrees. You could reduce about 10' of ducting. If you do..put the hood in the center like it is and have the cool tubes with their sockets closest to the middle hood.

I cool 2000w hps with a 6" inline fan with a filter.

3. They won't have the proper light footprint I'm looking for if I do. That was my original plan. 

4. Also I would put the ballasts outside the tent if possible. And i have never hooked up a run of lights like that but your usually better off pulling air over all the lights. Get rid of the duct booster. Is it one of thoes 6" guys for your home? It will likly restrict your airflow as well.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1335301-Stanky's-perpetual-garden
    Alright just checking. I can see the one cool tube. I would wana avoid turning that one.

5. #6 awek420, Oct 3, 2014
    The ballasts are digital and really don't put out much heat. Not enough for me to care about here where I live anyways. If you pull your heat through your fan, it will lessen its life span. And if you run a closed light system, and you have a leak, it sucks in smelly air from in the room and sends it out with your light exhaust.

Also, the booster is not one from home. It was bought at the hydro store. It definitely helps, there is a largely noticeable difference in the amount of air coming out the exit when I have it boosting. 

6. Also, both lights on the ends are in identical hoods. They are cool tubes with XL reflectors. The middle one is just a standard air cooled hood.

7. Run your tent everything on for 18 hours before you put anything in there to see what the temps get to in there. Thats what i would do. Instead of running into heat problems during the grow.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Absolutely. I will definitely test things out for at least that long. I run 24/0 for vegging, but only with MH bulbs and only 1 or 2 hoods. Flowering I have all 3 fired up with HPS, but only for 11 1/2 hours at a time. So I will run everything in a few different scenarios and see what I end up with. Mainly wanted input and advice on what to in the event that I need to change things

9. Nice man cant wait to see some nice ladies in your tent!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. #12 awek420, Oct 3, 2014
    I have found that the plants are less stressed having that extra cushion of dark. And If your timer is a little inaccurate and actually gives them 12 hours and 3 minutes of light, and only 11 hours and 57 minutes of dark, that's gonna cause stress and other issues. You could get away with just a 10 minute cushion, but I like 30. As for the booster, I tried it side by side, with and without. It definitely helps a lot. I can even hear the RPM's raise in the primary fan when it's assisted by the booster, and of course feel the obvious increase in air output. There's a lot of resistance with all my bends as we all know, and the booster reduces that resistance by lowering the back pressure of the system. 

11. Right in glad to see ur running a few tests. I have knowen boosters to restrict flow. And with the 11 1/2 hrs. Its logical forsure. Better to have them in dark longer then light

12. #14 awek420, Oct 3, 2014
    It depends on the quality and type of booster, some would restrict air I'm sure, but mine is adequate enough in power to be a positive thing. I have some other lighter duty boosters that claim the same cfm as the one I'm using, but there's no way. They use plastic 8 blade fans, which is great for noise reduction, but not air movement. The one I'm using uses a metal solid state 4 blade. Loud, but effective. If you were to take my primary fan, connect 5 feet of straight ducting, and then put the booster on the end, it would probably restrict air compared to without it, as the primary is met with no resistance in that short 5 feet and thus it is able to achieve the full 460cfm. However, my setup has 25 feet of ducting total, with bends and curves. My 460cfm fan is met with heavy resistance making it uncapable of achieving even half of it's rated cfm. By sucking away that resistance (also known as back pressure) with the booster, my primary doesn't have nearly as much force to work against. These HVAC boosters are specifically designed for boosting the air in long stretches of ducting, and they work wonders when used right. Thanks for the input everybody! I love to discuss ideas with anyone who is willing to share their knowledge.

13. Glad to see someone who knows what they're talking about :)

14. #16 awek420, Oct 3, 2014
    Thanks man! I'm always trying to learn more, and teach if I can. I'm hoping this setup will do what I need it to. I got 1 1/4 pounds from my 5 Critical Hog plants, with organic soil and 1200 watts. This time I'm running 6 Green Crack plants, and I'm hoping to pull close to a half pound each. I'll be running the Canna nutrient line, and some sort of soilless mix, under 1800 watts, and all of it will be SCROG style. I should be able to get what I'm hoping for. If I hit a gram per watt, that would be 4 lbs.

15. Very nice! I just received my critical hog seeds :) thinking of Scrogging them. From what I've heard they should do very well

16. All I meant was there are a lot of people who act like they know what they're talking about and spew a bunch of nonsense. Don't get me wrong there are tons of people on these forums who are master growers. It's just nice to see someone who uses logic in their posts and who accepts criticism well.