Will the stock market crash one day?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AdultBaby1, Jan 12, 2022.

1. wow. that's a whole new language and made up set of rules smh. the post you made earlier about using your GPU to earn a few btc, good on you man! that is what i call "working smarter, not harder".

what's the guesstimate on the number of people financially crushed and who are staring into the dark abyss by this devastating blow? you run in a much more informed circle than i. i read words and terminology in that article i've never seen before and have no idea what they mean to someone risking a bet in the ether game. that's really a whole lotta sumpin-sumpin else right there.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I do not follow the crypto space close enough to speak intelligently about the damage that has been done. But it is extensive. Just ask any Nvidia shareholder.

nvda.jpg

NVDA rode the btc wave by selling high end GPUs. That is over for now at least.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. But you have to ask, what made someone think this group of bits was ever worth $60k to begin with? How much energy / productive capacity was burned to mine essentially nothing?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Most cryptos bouncing hard now. btc above 20k and eth above 1100

5. hmmm......might be time for a bit of a bounce.

[​IMG]

6. It will be interesting to see how volatile it gets over the next quarter. Between FED rate hikes and the EU coming to grips with crazy energy prices and winter fast approaching....and feel free to throw in monkeypox, long covid, elections, blm and shit....lets give LGBQT a little more air time before the pride month ends.

7. I was listening to Josh Brown at the close and later read a piece on WSB about looking out a year from the depths of a Bear market and citing some historic charts that say it’s up some 25+ percent a year out so I’m hodling my pot basket and looking at July 4 23.

8. Ya, I saw a chart the other day floating on fintwit outlining that exactly; it was for the S&P. Showed like 10+ examples for what that index looked like after a drop of 20%+ after 7 months....

9. I can remember 2 times that I wish I had just ridden it out but those booze and hard drug bills don’t pay themselves.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Just random thoughts....

If I'm big tobacco - Am I just waiting for the rescheduling & safe banking acts before acquiring the major players?

or

If I'm big cannabis - And I know my margins are razor thin and supply is "outgrowing" demand, is my best bet to sell?

• Like Like x 1
  11. look at this gobbledygook speak. is it any wonder that very few people consistently make money while the vast majority dont? making money is a science requiring knowing ALL the rules of the game, the language of the game, and who the real players are. idk :confused_2:

somehow this will negatively affect the masses. (bold emphasis from the article)

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/morgan-stanley-central-banks-are-increasingly-out-balance

Sunday, Jul 17, 2022 - 06:30 PM
    By Seth Carpetner, global chief economist at Morgan Stanley

Divergences in policy rates are now in focus, accentuated by the sharp depreciation of the yen and the euro. I want to turn attention to the divergent paths for central bank balance sheets.

Fed quantitative tightening (QT) started in June, and the pace will double in September. While the ECB’s balance sheet has started to shrink a bit as targeted long-term refinancing operations (TLTROs) are repaid, the contraction is small, and prepaying TLTROs is very different than QT. And the shrinking may not last as the ECB confronts peripheral spreads. The BoJ could go in the opposite direction, and yield curve control (YCC) could turn into substantial QE if markets keep testing the Bank. These balance sheet differences will only become starker.

In absolute terms, the ECB and the Fed have the largest balance sheets, with the BoJ a distant third. But relative to GDP, the BoJ has the biggest by far, with the ECB second. The Fed is an outlier on the low side, and as its QT continues and accelerates, the Fed’s footprint will contract further while the BoJ’s will likely grow.

[​IMG]

The Fed started trimming its balance sheet last month, and the pace of the unwind will accelerate in September to $60bn per month of Treasuries and $35bn per month of MBS. The Fed plans to let QT run in the background, and it seems very likely to me that balance sheet runoff keeps going even if the economy stalls (for a differing opinion from BofA's Marc Cabana, see here). Chair Powell keeps reminding us that the FOMC wants the funds rate to be tool of first recourse, so if we get to the point of the economy faltering, there will be room to cut. Indeed, that narrative is priced into the futures curve already.

For the ECB, the balance sheet trajectory is complicated. QT and TLTRO prepayments are not the same. Running off securities gives the market no choice—the central bank calls the shots. With TLTROs, commercial banks have the option to prepay at their discretion. Indeed, as our Europe team has noted, prepayments have been on the low side of expectations. Proper QT for the ECB is far off. Moreover, the ECB’s vow to contain peripheral spreads with a yet-to-be defined “anti-fragmentation tool” points to a potentially significant upside risk to the size of its balance sheet.

The BoJ is at the other end of the spectrum. Relative to GDP (and even more so, relative to the size of the sovereign debt market), the BoJ’s balance sheet is already an outlier to the upside. And despite the fall in the yen, inflation is still lower in Japan than other DMs, leaving Governor Kuroda committed to his very accommodative policy stance. That mindset will confront slower global growth that weighs on Japanese growth. Against this backdrop, our Japan team revised the call for the timing of a shift in YCC. Whereas we had thought that a tweak would come in October, allowing the JGB curve to drift upward, we now expect YCC to be maintained until the second quarter of next year, after Governor Kuroda is replaced by a successor. With the market increasingly likely to test the BoJ, I see the risks to the balance sheet as skewed substantially to the upside.

Markets have a lot to digest. Following the Covid shock, all major central banks were moving in the same direction but no longer, and market liquidity will be buffeted by severe crosscurrents. The irony is that the risks come from both larger and smaller balance sheets. In dollar markets, a lot more Treasuries and MBS will have to be absorbed as financing costs are rising. In JGBs, the BoJ already owns half the market, and more might be coming.

12. #174 LosaHilly, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    If you think about it, humanity and the Earth could also one day collapse, and that would be the end. And almost everyone is sure that one day it will happen. But still, that's no reason to stop living right now. I hope the parallel I am trying to prove is clear. That's why I think it's better to seize the moment and try to do something today, then tomorrow there may be profit waiting for you. I'm not saying that you should invest blindly and try everything you see. Investing requires a proper upfront commitment and researching as many sources as possible before you start. That's exactly what I'm doing now on low commission platforms more information here https://www.doughroller.net/investing/the-best-online-stock-trading-sites/.

• Like Like x 1
  13. https://www.zerohedge.com/economics...s-are-too-hot-soon-be-too-cold-and-too-hungry

The key point is that everyone now sees that supply is the key global issue, not propping up demand by making rich people even richer. Everyone can also see that the neoliberal Keynesian synthesis (i.e., QE, deregulation, and globalisation) we have relied on for decades is an utter failure in this key regard. They just don’t know what will work, having read so little of any other schools of economic thought, and are scrambling from windfall taxes, which disincentivise productive investment, to threats of nationalisation, which disincentivises productive investment, to artificially lowering commodity prices, which disincentivises productive investment, to, until now, artificially lowering rates, which, yes, disincentivises productive investment.

14. HA!

Was scrolling down to post the story above and saw this post.

SP500 on June 21 ~3750
    SP500 today 4276 up 14%

Likely not much higher from here.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gotta bump it here before the xmas bust.

16. #178 BruttiSmith, Apr 11, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    One of the most common questions investors ask is whether the stock market will crash one day. While there's no way to predict the future, history has shown that the market can experience significant downturns. That's why it's crucial to stay informed and be prepared. One tool that can help investors navigate market volatility is the Stochastic Oscillator. This indicator measures the momentum of a stock's price and can provide valuable insight into potential buying or selling opportunities. For more information on how to use the Stochastic Oscillator effectively, check out this helpful guide and link to Stochastic Oscillator: Ultimate Guide & Best Settings | LiteFinance. Remember, staying informed and making informed decisions is key to success in the stock market.

I have been waiting for this crash since 2020 but the more FUD I see on the market the more I doubt that it will crash in the foreseeable future.

17. I’ve been hearing about it since 2014.

18. What exactly is ‘a crash’?