will termites eat mj

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by williamspartan, Jan 24, 2009.

1. had a spot last year and went to check on my ladies. got there and noticed they had a bad lean to them. dug around the base and noticed the stems were almost chewed in half. pulled up the root ball and noticed some white bugs. not sure if it was termites or rootborers. either way what could i use to get rid of both termites and rootborers

2. In the outdoors, the soil should be well balanced with lots of good bugs protecting your plants. I know that if you use outdoor soil inside, it has to be cooked in the oven to kill all outdoor bacteria and things. But outdoors, I never had a problem with some bug eating the roots. It sounds horrible. Maybe you used not old enough compost or manures that still had bad things in.

3. What do you mean by bugs? Insects or maggots? The white maggot of the fungus gnat will certainly eat MJ at ground level. Termites eat wood, which is mostly cellulose, like all plants- I believe termites are white, so it could be them.

4. Sorry i don't have a link but, if i remember correctly he had two plants in a flower bed near a dead tree and they came over chomped on the plant.

5. Some very cheap store soil has bad micro life in it that will eat your baby sprouts. Maybe they were from there and then ate your plants once they were outdoors (time to get busy). Again, with good dirt mixed to the native (outdoor) dirt or all outdoor dirt for plants grown outdoor: no problem like that. Nature has a balance to prevent this. It probably can happen in the wild too but very unlikely.

6. Very true. Peat based composts especially can have fungus gnat grubs.

7. Perhaps a dreaded slug attack?

8. #8 Bangtothebeatofthedrum, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
    I had this happen to me this year.

We had just had a couple of dead trees removed at the end of last year and I decided to go ahead this year and plant in the ground instead of in my usual 10 gallon toy buckets. Well things started off great plants took off and I was feeling blessed because I planted in feb and didn't get hit with a late frost. Well about 3 months in when it starts to get warm/hot in my state I was noticing in the afternoon the plants were looking droopy like they needed water so I would water them and come out next morning and everything looked great again well this lasted for a couple of weeks before they were looking sad in the morning. At 1st I thought well maybe this strain just can't handle this heat and attempted to shield them from direct sunlight in the afternoon but that didn't help at all so I decided to take a look at the roots of one..... To my horror as I went to pull it out it came out super easy with little white termites on the main tap as I pulled it out as well as on the inside of the stalk when I snapped it open to look.  This was my worst experience as a grower as previous pest issues were easily solved and I have no idea how you stay organic and get rid of termites below the soil.

Next season I am back in the toy tubs off the ground as I have been previously because it was heart breaking for me this go around.

"Keep up the struggle!"

9. #9 Ausweed, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    They are termites........if you are growing in your yard and you have this issue, you need to get the pest control in quick.....because next, (if not already) will be your house !!!

10. That's definitely sounds like termites.I grow in the bush and lose a few to them every year and that's exactly what happens.

I tried putting rings of neem cake around the stem this year which didn't work but what saved my babes in one plot that was particularly hard hit was to dig out the soil and expose the base of the stem like this. You have to keep maintaining and digging it out
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Those roots look so fucking good

12. Your right mate! It happened to my plants too....lost 7 good MJ plants to these f***ing termites! I tried neem cake too....but it didn't help! Digging out the top soil won't support my plants cause they are still small about 3ft! Please help

13. IMG_20170629_124643764.jpg My plant roots completely eaten by white termites