Will religion bring about our own destruction?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ResearchIt, May 27, 2010.

1. Well let me elaborate a second. My mothers side of the family are the ones who view me as a satanist. And she has 8 other siblings, most are hardcore Christians. My dunno what you call it, but the family I live with aren't hardcore religion. They just have the same thing like if you don't believe in Christianity then you must be a satanist. Not as hardcore as the whole family. But basically, yes. When I started wearing band t-shirts (psychopathic,slipknot etc) they started calling me a satanist. It wasn't just for my views, although that was a major part. The other was my look. Guess I didn't look all clean cut, type to go to church. So they viewed that like "well if he dresses with dark band clothing then he must worship satan." So that's basically how it was. Not just anybody who doesn't believe in God, just people who I guess don't look like it.

2. #22 ResearchIt, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    did you read any of the previous post... israel and iran... probably occur b4 2029...

Also i researched it they said its only a quarter mile wide, this would not destroy the world, maybe a region... And nasa has already determined it will miss us... maybe you should research it... http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2005/13may_2004mn4/

3. Yeah, but a war between Israel/the US and Iran won't destory the world. No nukes would be used. It would be a long drawn out ground battle like Iraq... costs more money.

4. #24 ResearchIt, May 28, 2010
    Id wager if iran managed to develop a nuke, which is actually not really that hard, they would use it. then retaliation would follow. Maybe not the world but kill a lot of people. Every time a nuke drops it gives someone else am excuse to use theirs as well. Not to mention many countries where Al Qeda hides are nuclear... Hope one doesnt fall into the wrong hands...

5. That is the asteroid that will orbit in our solar system, coming closer and closer to Earth.

It is not an asteroid like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, but it can easily start a chain reaction to a very dependent world civilization.

6. well don't believe everything you've heard. animal populations may plateau, and i know we're supposedly just animals, but there is a reason we are different. the expansion of human population has never plateaued and it doesn't make sense to think that it ever will. it might experience huge losses and set backs, might even become extinct, but as long as it lives it will never stop growing.

and i'm speaking of human population, not American. the world clock uses info from all over the world. it doesn't just display births by the second, but deaths too. hence, the population numbers it displays are a result of the difference, and it is NOWHERE NEAR A PLATEAU. go look at, for real! just go open up the page and a world clock, set it so that it starts couting from the time you set it, come back to this and finish reading, then go back to it. in the minute it took to read this, notice that the population basically grows by one person every second. i just did it, in two minutes there were about 300 more births than deaths. the population in India alone is so high and steadily growing that they have more kids with an eighth grade reading level than America has kids!

now i'm no math major, but 9th grade Geometry tells me that if the area being covered is set, limited, finite, and the objects covering said area are not set, limited, or finite...then Houston we have a problem.

to me saying over population is not a real problem, cause it can never do any real harm, is like believing that cancer isn't a real problem and it can't kill.

7. #27 Perpetual Burn, May 28, 2010
    Well, the point about American and western populations plateauing is that it is the result as nations develop economically and socially. All nations are on the rise in this matter. The wealthier populations of the world, which now number well over a billion, are leveling off and more and more people are moving into this category as more people rise out of poverty. Eventually, the whole world will live at current western standards or better... and if they procreate at the rates we do, overall population will plateau.

Saying the population will never plateau is like saying it will never plateau in America... it already has begun.

You seem to be putting too much stock in this world clock. Not to say it is wrong, but it is hardly a measure of what future populations will look like. It does not take into account changes in economic effects on social life.

And more importantly, it does not in any way prove that the rising population will become a problem as far as the survival of the human race. Nothing has been proven to show that rising population will lead to water or food shortages. Given the science of water desalination, it is absurd to think we will run out of water. There are still loads of land available for farming and agriculture and along with the rise in genetic engineering, the idea that we won't have enough food to sustain our population is also a bit ridiculous.

Atanyrate, people starving to death will most certainly not have any affect on the overall survivability of the human race... it will simply mean people are starving to death, which is not now and probably never will be the result of a lack of food. Just the lack of people caring or their ability to provide for their own people.

You bring up the idea of overcrowding as if that is a problem. Again, that will not bring about the destruction of the human race... just some logistical/economic problems regarding how we get food to all these people in urban areas. More importantly, it is people's choices to live in these areas... there is still tons of rural land for people to settle on. You live in Texas, just start walking west if you doubt this. :p

There is plenty of uninhabited land in the US, in fact the entire American continents are overflowing with open land. There is extra land in Europe. Africa is probably over 90% uninhabited by humans. There is land for grabs in the Middle East, India and China. Russia and Australia are practically barren wastelands. Every single continent has plenty of land to facilitate the growth of humanity, but we choose not to spread out.

But once again, nothing I have seen (especially in this thread) has made any convincing arguments that overpopulation or religion will in any way lead to the destruction of the human race. I do not even know how such delusional myths even work their way into one's psyche... other than out of fear and cynicism. So, let it be said again...

"Don't Panic" (It's on the cover, man!)

8. well first off i'm not panicing.

second, everything you said is based on short term analysis, social stature and personal choice of "surface area". well, this has nothing to do with class and i never said this was an immediate threat. i also never said this was an absolute threat, as the geometric model i used was based on surface area being finite.

ultimately i am saying over population, by definition CAN be a very formidable problem. and unless something happens to cause a huge loss at some point in time, or steady, incrimental significant losses that corelate with the growth rate, the numbers will become too great. it's very simple, it's even evident because of what the word "over" means. and you need to understand the population is not even growing at a linear rate, it's growing EXPONENTIALLY.

now, does that mean we can't find ways to survive without huge losses to balance out the equation? of course not. we can always find more "surface area" so to speak, in the big picture, the "surface areas" are infinite. our minds and their products (tech) just have to grow at a complimentary rate. as long as that ratio is consistent, there will be no such thing as "over" population.

so ease up thinking just because someone comments about the realistic possibility of a very serious human problem means they are panic driven, delusional, "end of the world" gossipers.

you'll find none of that in the psilosylum. :p

9. The only thing responsible for our destruction will be ourselves. Religion is merely a collective of accepted views.

10. Population is not growing exponentially... it could if we maintained the procreation rates, but as society advances this will not be the case. We can and do control the rate of population increase. It is entirely in our hands, it is in no way our destiny to have 50 billion humans on this planet.

Interestingly enough, I have seen some compelling cases made that technology increases exponentially... since technology is what's needed to solve our population problems, I think we will be just fine.

11. i have a feeling that if religion did bring about the end of humanity then it would be centered around Muslims. They are the only religious group (that i know of) who are taught to destroy anyone who believes anything other than what they do.

12. Thats an unfair generalization. The Koran teaches peace just as well as the other scriptures. However, there are fundamentalist groups that preach violence, these are less than 1% of muslims.

Its not a matter of muslims attacking other people but intolerance. All major religions work to convert people to their religions and preach other religions are incorrect. This intolerance has to stop... or we will rip each other apart. Its not about who casts the first stone...

13. Chain reaction in what? elaborate.

14. If you said its in our hands to Catholics, they would say it is against god to use birth control or abortion. Birth control by Catholic standards is timing the womans cycle which has been proven to work only about 50% of the time. The population of the world has always and continues to grow exponentially this is a well known and documented fact... get your facts straight. Check out the census bureau... Many cultures believe in having large families, and many religions believe that bringing souls into the world is their duty. Do you think people will so easily lay down their religious or cultural beliefs? Do you believe that people will surrender their right to procreate as much as they like? Ever heard of diffusion of responsibility?

15. That is quite an understatement... Religion dictates how many people live their lives. Millions if not billions live their lives based on teachings from religion... It affects every aspect of life and decision for some. It is not even close to being a mere collective of accepted views.

16. No it wont. Theology could and does bring about alot of destruction however.

17. what are you basing your decision off of? elaborate please

18. uhhhh the previous Israel situation?

19. #39 ResearchIt, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    dont answer questions directed at other people please...

Though i would like to know what kind of chain reaction you are talking about. If you meant a chain reaction in the Israel situation, how would that happen? The asteroid is 19 years away this conflict will likely occur before then... It doesnt take a developed country 19 years to build nukes, especially when the science already exists...

20. #40 findme, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
    This is what is fact:
    1.the bible ( any religious book) has condictions in it
    2. Some higher being had to creat the universe we live in as for every action...

This is what I believe ( not exactly fact but its nice to do )
    1. treat everyone with respect with you would yourself.

this is false:
    1. living after being in a car accident is not a miracle. Growing back a limb or an eye is a miracle. Do you see why?

to make me believe in the bible:
    1. show me that prayer actually heals people as it says.