will rain ruin by buds?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by j rizzle, Aug 19, 2008.

1. hey gc
    i just wanted to know your opinions on rainfall and buds.
    when it rains and my buds get soaked, do they lose thc?
    also should i put a trash bag over them b4 it rains?
    thanks

2. No THC is not water soluble.

3. ok so the rain won't destroy the chrystals?
    also should i be aware of mold on the buds after the rains?

4. Yes, damp buds are more likely to mould, that is for sure. Not a problem I get, not sure how you deal with that.

5. Marijuana plants have been getting rained on for thousands of years--perhaps millions. If you're worried about mildew you could try a fungicide.

6. That's the stupidest answer that I've read about anything, anywhere, on any subject.

Of course it's not good to let your precious plants get rained on. Do you spray the buds with water when it's not raining?? I hope not.

If it's just a little rain and the sun comes out you should be OK. If it's going to keep raining, then you're not. The weight of the water can weigh down the branches and break them, not to mention the wind.

The best bet is to put trash bags over the plants. Use white ones so that they get some photosynthesis.

Don't leave them on too long!!

And, NO FUNGICIDES!!

7. LMFAO

Really? Do you run out and cover your plants every time it rains? I know I don't. I can just see it now, a field of black plastic bags. Much more natural than rain. And about the fungicide: I don't use it either. Never had a problem with mildew--and my plants get rained on whenever mother nature decides to let loose.

8. well im in florida and it rains like everyday so i just wanted to make sure
    if i put trash bags over them they will be white

9. A plastic bag over your plants in high humidity is almost surely going to cause mold to form, imo, plants need to transpire, and reducing air circulation is not usually a good idea. But I've not dealt with your climate type, I live in a pretty dry area, so I'm just thinking out loud.

I think its best to harvest after dry weather of at least 48 hours to give the buds time to dry out, but other than that...:confused:

10. I agree with Med. Al the effect of a plastic bag in a warm and wet climate will definitely create more problems than natural rain. It is best to trellis them to protect them from the added weight from the water. All I ever do is go out there and give the big colas a little shaking to remove the majority of water....

Different strains have different mold resistance. What are you growing?

11. Best answer.

12. #13 Mr. MJ, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008

I think that this quote is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read about anything, anywhere, on any subject.

Yes, I do spray water on my buds when it's not raining... it's called foliar feeding. ;)

Long before reverse osmosis, pH pens, buffer solutions, grow tents and Hortilux bulbs, weed was growing just fine in the sun, wind and rain...

...lots of folks still think that's the best way to grow, and I'm inclined to agree.

13. Thank you. So many new growers think the herb is really fragile. It's an incredibly resilient and resistant plant. I guess that's why people call it weed.

14. beat me to it

15. Last year i harvested my stuff in the middle of a third day of rain and didn't have mold :|

I am not sure about mold,i mean i've seen it but usually in the drying process when i have been trimming peopes stuff for them.

indoor also.

one thing I do do is make sure the plants get regular treatments every time(or every other time) i water with some silica.

I have been recommended spraying silica(with NO ph adjustment!) onto the plants(foliar feeding)
    to inhibit mold(adjusting the ph is one way things like Zero Tolerance works to prevent mold) it also helps to build a osmotic barrier to mold/bug attacks. so if you know its going to rain I'd spray it with some bloom silica or second choice rhino skin.

but still I am thinking of just building a greenhouse,but i like outdoors.dillema

anyhow regular soluable silica will increase mold resistence,when a fungus attacks it will callous around the intrusion points.

my buds just got rained on bad today,so much they are hanging over,got to go shake em a bit