Will my bin produce?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by michael68, Jan 15, 2011.

1. I got 500 worms off the internet and put them into their bin a few days ago.

There's about 4 inches of shredded newspaper, bit of dirt, peat moss from shipping, lettuce, bell pepper, banana peel, apple core, etc. And I've been keeping it moist.

I haven't seen much activity yet and it was kinda hard to find them in the bin.

Do I need to chop up the scraps finer or just a rough break up as they will rot and become softer for them to digest?

Maybe I'm just being impatient lol. I just want a little bit of casting for this season.

[​IMG]

2. I think that cutting up the veggies and stuff is not required but it probably makes it easier for them to eat if they were chopped up

So, I, personally, would chop up the veggies and fruits into small 1/2 inch squares

Also, make sure they have some moisture and I think they should be OK

good luck - let us know if you have success!!

:)

3. Cheers man, I'll start doing that from now on.

4. They don't actually eat the food, but rather the bacteria/mold/goo that is growing on the rotted food.

The smaller pieces will help it to rot faster and the worms can eat it faster.

Take care not to over feed at first. It takes a bit for the worm bin to get established and a good colony of bacteria going.

Do you have drainage holes in the bottom of the bin? It really helps. The worms like it wet, but not soggy and with the drainage you can get happy with the spray bottle and not drown them.

If you can take some scraps and put them in a blender along with a spoon or 2 of organic yogurt then let it sit for a day or 2 ...........

Wet

5. #5 Stankie, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    Patience

Starting a bin is a long process. Patience is key. It won't change overnight so checking it so often is just messing with your head.

I don't cut the food up. The easiest way to help it rot faster is to freeze your food first, then add it to the bin. Freezing the food kills each cell and bursts cell walls. The bacteria and fungi can more easily start to work on it.

6. :confused::confused:

7. :confused:

8. Earthworms do not eat material, per se, but rather eat and digest bacteria.

Adding a cup of EWC or viable soil to your worm bin will kick-start the bacterial breakdown of the material in your worm bin which results in available food for your worm colony.

HTH

FLD

9. Yay, everything appears to be breaking down faster and the worms are really active.

10. Question though.

Do I have to put bedding on top? I put down a few inches of newspaper and leaves at the bottom to start then the food up top.

11. It's good to cover/bury the food with a little bedding. It will reduce the chance of gnats/bugs getting in, reduce odor, and the worms will more easily be able to access the material.

12. Yep. bedding->food->bedding->food .. repeat as necessary.

Wet

13. Then you just pull back the bedding and put more food as you go along?

What about when you harvest?