Will Jerusalem crisis lead to terrorist attacks at the 2018 Olympic Games?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ernelson, Dec 27, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

"I have determined that it is time to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel", declared President Trump. And immediately he announced his intention to relocate the American embassy from Tel Aviv to that city.

I would like to remind you that the decision on transferring the American embassy was made by both chambers of the American parliament long ago actually, back in 1995. Since then American presidents were authorized to sign a national security waiver to delay the move every six months. And all the presidents, starting with Bill Clinton and ending with Barack Obama, did exactly this sort of thing for fear of Middle East conflict escalation. Donald Trump became the first American president to have braved such a tricky decision.

As for the reaction, it predictably followed, for Jerusalem has been long one of the most vexed problems in the relationship between Israel and Palestine with the fighting for this city continuing over the course of history. Thus, all Arab countries were quick to condemn that decision of Donald Trump.

Nabil Abu Rudeineh, a senior advisor to the Palestinian leader, said in a statement that the Palestinian leadership totally rejects moving of the American embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, adding such a move "will not be in accordance with the resolutions of international legitimacy and the Arab peace initiative". He added 'it would have serious and crucial consequences for the peace process".

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi warns "of the serious ramifications of this decision on the stability in the region and the world" and of "injustice it represents to the rights of Palestinians, the Arab, Islamic world, and other religions"

"The US administration's decision on Jerusalem is condemned and rejected by us. It cannot be justified under any pretext and does not yield to any logic". This was stated by the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States Ahmed Aboul Gheit at the emergency meeting of the organization at the level of Foreign Ministers. He added that this move of the USA only contributes to more bigotry and cruelty.

Turkish president went as far as to threaten the USA with the breach of the relations saying the following, "Jerusalem is a red line for Muslims. Such a decision will be a heavy blow for all the mankind. We will not leave it behind. Was that the last problem of America left to deal with? We will fight to the end. We may even reach a severance of diplomatic relations with Israel. I once again warn the United States not to take steps that will further deepen the crisis in the region".

As a result, the participants of the extraordinary OIC summit held in Istanbul on 13 December 2017 recognized East Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine. "We call upon all countries which have not yet recognized the State of Palestine to take this vital step. We invite the whole world to recognize East Jerusalem as the occupied capital of the State of Palestine", the final OIC declaration says.

The so called allies of America also did not support Trump.

British permanent envoy to the UN Matthew Rycroft put it plain, "We therefore disagree with the U.S. decision to move its embassy to Jerusalem and unilaterally recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel before a final status agreement. For us East Jerusalem is an occupied part of Palestine".

"The status of Jerusalem is a question of international security that concerns the entire international community. The status of Jerusalem must be determined by Israelis and Palestinians in the framework of negotiations under the auspices of the United Nations', stated President of France Emmanuel Macron.

Great Britain and Germany were not supportive of the President Trump's move as well and voiced their opinion according to which the status of Jerusalem should be defined only on the basis of the Israeli-Palestinian position.

On the heels of the Trump's decision on recognition of Jerusalem as an Israeli capital and moving the American embassy there, former US President Barack Obama commented, "That's what happened in Germany in the 1930s where, despite the democracy of the Weimar Republic and centuries of high-level cultural and scientific achievements, Adolf Hitler rose to dominate".

"The reaction of the Middle East is actually deep destabilization, to the last degree, so to say. There is to be more violence both inside Israel and in East Jerusalem. Arab population, Gaza Strip, or even Hezbollah will intensify their activities. Anti-American and anti-Israeli protests will follow". This is how it was put by Semyon Bagdasarov, Director of the Center for Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies. And this vision appears to be actually true to life.

The reaction of terrorists was also quick to follow. On one of the ISIS accounts in Telergram instant messaging service appeared posts titled "Wait for us" and "ISIS in Manhattan". The ISIS fighters openly threatened the USA with terrorist attacks.

With the Winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang pending, a historic parallel with the bloodbath of 1972 in Munich suggests itself. At that time, 11 members of the Israeli national Olympic team were killed by terrorists belonging to the Black September militant group...

I would like to remind you that the XXIII Winter Olympic Games will be held in South Korea from February 9 to 25, 2018. 84 countries will send their national teams there including the American and Israeli teams ... I hate to aggravate things. The time of Olympic Games has been always a nice time with all the wars even the fiercest ones always stopped. I would like this charter of sacred armistice to stay effective up till now. Unfortunately, reality proves otherwise.

During the first year of presidency Trump has made lots of thoughtless steps among which his Jerusalem decision is something really beyond the limit. It's over the top, and it may entail irreparable bloody results. Why on earth did he make that obviously weird decision at this very time, just on the eve of the Olympic Games? Heaven only knows it!

2. What Jerusalem crisis is that? Are you sure there is one?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. As if any excuses were needed in the first place...

4. How's it a crisis? The UN vote was defeated right?
    We can expect terrorist attacks regardless.

5. Caesar Trump's declaration of Jerusalem as capital of Israel is to be welcomed. No longer will we have to listen to bullshit from American politicians about wanting a "solution", "two state solution", "peace", etc etc. The Americans are squarely on the Israeli side. It's out in the open now.

This move by Caesar has strengthened support for the Palestinians, we saw this clearly during the recent vote. Apart from a few micro states and irrelevants dependent on Uncle Sam, the world voted overwhelmingly in support of the Palestinian people and their right to their own state. The hullabaloo over Caesars move has brought the cause of the Palestinian people to many new eyes.

As for attacks in the snowlymics? Hopefully not. Although I must say I don't bother with the winter Olympics. All that snow and ice is a turn off.

6. I don't care one way or the other, in my opinion we need to pull out of the entire region and let them sort it out. I don't think our presence there is a benefit to anyone, save for the financial interests.

No entangling alliances.

No unnecessary enemies.

7. if anything leads to terror attacks in SOUTH korea, it will probably be its neighbor to the NORTH. NORTH Korea.
    Just saying..

8. The world voting on where America puts it's embassy is like America voting on who will be Ireland's president.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The world voted to reject Trump's assertion that Jerusalem was capital of Israel. A vote of support for the Palestinian people and to show their contempt for Trump and the US.

Two fingers to the US really.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I do not view it as a crisis but I do know some people will view it as such, especially those in the middle east. Like others have said terror attacks can be expected regardless so there will be lots of security in place and hopefully they can prevent an attack. But there is also a chance they won't be able to stop one. What I hate the most though is when the news reports what measures are being taken to prevent an attack, how fucking stupid. If the terrorists are watching it arms them with knowlege that they could use to get around said security measures.

11. What does that have to do with the quote you are replying to?

12. What in the ever loving fuck does Jerusalem have to do with the Winter Olympics being held in South Korea?

Want to kill Jews? Meet us on the fuckin battlefield and get spanked just like always. Fucking cowards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sorry for my vulgarity, but damn does the thought of innocents dying at the oylimpics ,because my people want to attend, hurt real bad.

14. Are you an American or an Israeli?

15. yet we don't give a fuck. Why? Because WE elected him. To run OUR country. Not yours. We had 8 years of someone bowing constantly to public pressure to be the "good guy". What has that got us? A multi-trillion dollar debt figure. Fuck all of them. Fuck the UN, they are completely useless anyways. It was awesome that right after this vote, right after nikki haley said she was "taking names" the US announced it was cutting a few hundred million from the UN budget. Fuck them. take our money and then try to tell us how to run our country?? This is NOT the EU. This is the USA.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. who cares? why does that matter at all? A persons ethnicity should have no impact on anything you were about to say right?

• Like Like x 3
  17. #17 SmokinP, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Uhhh. We's a little angry this morning aren't we?

I fully agree the US has no business sticking it's snout in any countries affairs apart from it's own. US should worry about the US. The time has come IMO for the US to either be removed or perhaps leave the UN. After the disgusting antics of Trump trying to threaten countries into voting how he wanted the US has no place at the UN.

18. so you don't want the US to poke its nose anywhere, but the UN and the EU would be okay to do that? Got it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. A person's nationality was very important to you and your gang when it came to commenting on American affairs.

It was a simple question, mind your own business.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. I read an article where a snake was found in the wild in Ireland. Therefore your country is overrun by snakes.

Edit: It May have been CNN or discovery channel. I don’t recall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1