will it work??!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by KALiBERRRR, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ok here's the story, 3 of my seeds popped out their little white roots, so I put $3 organic rich sterilized potting soil into 9oz cups, watered them just a bit, and dropped the seeds into a hole in the soil, then placed the cups into a grow box I made lined with aluminum foil and a 60watt bulb on top. the next day, my other 4 seeds a lot and I dumped them into soil too, they rarely came down with the root facing down. one of them actually had the root straight up... but I didn't wanna mess with it...so...is this fine? when should I water them and when should I start the light cycle with how much light

2. Hey sounds like you germinated your seeds alright. Good choice for soil too.

And dont worry about the one taproot facing upwards, it should find its way down.

Until they sprout, just mist them with a little water and keep it moist. Not wet, just a little moist (a couple sprays from a spray bottle would do).

Also, I hope your 60watt bulb is not one of those "plant grow lights". You want a couple of those spiral compact fluorescent lights.

Once the seedlings pop up, just keep the lights on 24/7.

3. thanks a lot, so I should get a stronger light bulb? how many watts do you recommend? and I'm also a little worried that 9oz cups are too small, they're not even filled up all the way so I guess I'm transplanting early. oh and the first 3 seeds are probably sprouting first so should I wait until all 7 sprout to turn on the light or do I turn it on when the first 3 sprout?

4. hell go ahead and get them under the lights now, my avatar is a pic of my plant this morning isnt it cute :D , good luck on ur grow.

ur fellow grower

Dank

5. oh ya and welcome to Grasscity:hello: :smoking:

6. my friend just said a 60 watt bulb will do nothing.. is that true

7. I had the light on for an hour and I checked the box... its extremely hot! I can smell the cardboard cooking a bit.. so this is definetly a bad bulb. can someone explain what a fluoerescent bulb is/does? would be very helpful, thanks

8. I had the light on for an hour and I checked the box... its extremely hot! I can smell the cardboard cooking a bit.. so this is definetly a bad bulb. can someone explain what a fluoerescent bulb is/does? would be very helpful, thanks

9. I had the light on for an hour and I checked the box... its extremely hot! I can smell the cardboard cooking a bit.. so this is definetly a bad bulb. can someone explain what a fluoerescent bulb is/does? would be very helpful, thanks

10. sorry for the reposts... sidekick =/

11. you could always delete them. :D

12. If you want good light on the cheap, get a 65W Flourex lamp. They are REALLY bright. They put out over 4500 lumens and have a color temp of 6500K (which is what you want) plus have a little extra blue in them for vegging. I did a grow with two of these just fine.

You can get two for well under a hundred.

If you can't find any near you, PM me and I'll hook you up.

13. that's a bit out of my league in terms of budget.. 20 bucks tops for a light bulb. does a bulb that strong produce a lot of heat?

14. Let's back up...what kind of 60w bulb are you using now? Is it incandescent -- meaning, a regular household lightbulb?

If so, what everyone is telling you is to get rid of that thing right away. It produces the wrong spectrum for MJ growth and way too much heat, you seedlings will wither and die. The cheapest lighting that works well is compact fluoro's (cfl), those are the twisty lightbulbs that save energy by outputting more lumens per watt. They also have the benefits for our purposes of being good growth spectrum and about the coolest (temperature) lights available. You can get them at Wally World, Home Depot, just about anywhere.

$20 may sound like a lot for a lightbulb but it's not in the scheme of things. If you skimp on light you will significantly limit both the quality and quantity of your grow. You could also get two 42w cfl's that will run you about $8-9 apiece.

Another benefit of cfl's is, since they are designed to replace incandescent bulbs, they screw into "regular" household fixtures and don't need a ballast because they have one built in. If you move up to HID lighting not only are the bulbs more expensive but you also need a specialized fixture and ballast that can run a bare minimum of about $75 and easily over $200. In the scheme of things you are receiving the low-cost recommendations.

15. it produces a bit of heat, but nothing compared to an HID lamp. I'd at least put $40 into lighting. you get out what you put in. If you only want to spend $20, it's your time to waste.