will i be able to grow along a creek?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by dankNJ, Mar 11, 2009.

1. okay so i finally decided on my spot and it will be a creek...

has anyone ever succesfully grown along a big creek

will i have to come to the site less to water since the soil should be retaining water from the creek?

should i be worried of the mold since the close proximinty of the water

any other details would be nice

i am not worred about visitors due to the inacessabilty to the site and when i do go their i will be carrying a fishing rod just for good measures and all the gear i would need packed into the tackle box including nutes and water

2. Certainly solves the problem of watering. Only problem is that water does attract people. Good luck with it, anyway.

3. Yes but you better make sure the area wont flood during a storm.

4. well not many people go near this creek due to the river right up stream and believe me no one goes fishing in the creek any more due to how dirty the delaware river is...so all and all ill be good for not having any vistors with the exceptions of some ducks and geese and this disgruntled swan that attacks by standers haha

and thanks for the advice

5. is the water polluted? the only other problem with creeks is that helicopters tend to follow them when flying, but if you got a good canopy and are back a few feet from it with some cover then you should be ok, but sounds like the water may be problematic.

6. i am not worried of helicopters and this creek is small just a tributary to the delaware.
    and yes the water is polluted but i will be packing with my own water.....everytime i go i will also bring a fishing rod so its looks like the norm and if i live in souther jersey burlington area when can i began to start to transplant outdoors i saw somewhere the last frost is around may or april i forget which but may seems a little long

i have the seeds already in the extra large styrofoam cups which i will than transplant directly into the ground

any one else grow near a creek or river and have experince with a grow like this!

any info would be great i dont want this to be some dream grow out of reach...im planning on keeping it mangable and the grow within my limits as a grower

7. It shouldn't be too wet or the roots will rot. If you can build a camo raised bed they can drick at their will. They don't like having their feet always wet. Or place them where there's just enough moisture. Dig a hole and see how fast it fills up with water from the creek. Adjust with distance to creek if possible.

8. cool cool and when you say cammo bed do you mean that i should raise the soil level then plant ontop of the beds but make em blend in somehow?

9. Yea create a sort of mound on top and then camo it with some leaves or mulch etc.

As for your last frost I'm pretty sure you're going to want to wait for early May to start, you should be able to search on Google to find some info on the typical last frost for your area, for instance my last frost date is May 4th and there is a 10% chance of frost at that date, so I'm putting mine outdoors a week later on May 11th.

10. I've never used it but saw pics of canadian growers who don't water their plants with a raised bed (planks), like an elevated garden so the plants' roots aren't always wet. This is in a swapy area (but not too swampy) Or use a big container you cut off the bottom. But there can't be water variations as the inside could be washed away. Pm me if you want to know where the pics of this are.

Or use the creek as watr source and plant a little farther in a dryer spot. (You water yourself)

Dig a hole to see if it's too wet or not.

11. okay good idea and yes packing water in myself shouldnt be a problem

thanks for the advice :hello:

another question i have is there is a swamp not to far away do you think id be better off planting in the swamp or stay along creek....both are accessible with almost no vistors

12. stay out of the swamp, it'll be a lot easier for your plants to drown there especially if it rains, swamps mean poor drainage and stagnant water, some people grow in these areas in grow bags/pots, but since you're growing in the ground I'd just stay with the area you chose.

13. iight cool i was just wondering if the swamp would be better or what and im spreading to keep em from the cops but what is a normal yeild for a outdoor grow using bagseed

i had a outdoor plant that went through much stress and problems that grew about 3-4 ft and yeilded atleast 2ozs but im looking for a larger yeild

14. #14 Corto Malteze, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
    Swamp grows are possible but they aren't easy to pull off (experienced grower with coco coir/perlite etc... and just enough moisture).
    150-200 g is about average for a tall hybrid (not small indica).
    Swamp grows work with containers and raised beds, not diretly on the hole. And not a very wet swamp.
    Whatever the case, you'll need stealth and a water supply you bring or the plants get all alone. You need both and it's all good.

From Guerilla green's (grower):

"I just cut the bottoms out of 20 gallon rubbermaid totes and jam them down a couple inches in the mucky swamp. I just break up the swampy ground first with a shovel and there should be just a little standing water in the spot you break up. Then I just put one coco coir block in each tote. I mix in a few gallons of top soil, a pound of worm castings, a pound of tropical bat guano, and a half cup of dolomite lime. I just mix it all up and plant.

That's it."

He explains he never waters his plants (yes you read right lol!). But this guy knows what he's doing and has the perfect setting. Good luck to you man.

15. thanks man you been of much help in my decsion making for this years grow along with others who posted on this thread:hello:

i might just try one or two in the swamp to just give it a go ya know good things happen when you put you mind to it...

i have my plants in germination now i will def post pics when the plants reach mature stage and keep ya posted on how it goes

these are all good seeds thought from all headies and some kinebuds so it def has atleast somewhat of some good genectics behind them i guess

16. U a Big L fan,nicccce : ) I grew near creak(well,more small river then creak)to avoid flood simply dig holes in ground 1m higher then water level(what I mean is to plant the weed in river bank,not down near water)Sorry for my bad engl. trying to learn some german so...

17. Think you could do a swamp grow if you buried your pot? And maybe put extra absorbants in the bottom to keep it from getting overwhelmed with water.

Cause a swamp grow sounds awesome but i dont like the idea of a pot just standing out.

18. yeah dude, for sure you can, I am.....

just not too close to the creek, or you may end up wondering "where are my girls?" one day....

and if youre in jersey, wait a minute bro, im in maryland and im not gonna start em until early to mid april.....you should wait at least that long being north of me.

best of luck though, bagseed can grow you some of the craziest bud ever.....do your homework and hope for the best!

19. #19 dankNJ, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
    hell yeah big L is fucking sick man unlike all this other shit these kids be listening pumpin out these fake ass lyrics (lilwayne)

but on another note yes i know quite a bit been reading for atleast 3+ and know quite a bit about growing a thing or two since ive been growing boomers for almost 3+ years also now but thanks for the help and i am going to def try atleast one or two in the swamp with the others along the creek

20. I will never grow along a creek again. Here in missouri the creeks get flooded ALOT during the spring, I lost 30 plants last year due to big ass logs and loose tree branches wiping all of them out. They were a couple feet or so high, and around 10-15 feet from the bank. 5 survived but were so badly damaged it took them a while to recover. Heart breaking to say the least. My advice is to plant them 50-100 feet away from your creek and haul water to them as needed from the creek.