will any Flourescent light work or does it need to be a special one for growing?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jayjay5396, Mar 2, 2014.

1. could i use those florescent tubes that's commonly used in kitchen lighting? how many watts do i need for a small space? 

NO

read the stickies in the grow section
    use the search tool

3. no result found in search box it doesnt work!!! 

4. Here is a simple old school way to overdrive common lamps to achieve similar light output to a T5 fixture.  You still have to be aware of the color temp needed. using a full spectrum lamp close to 6500k would be best for veg and near 3000k for flower .
    I am not recommending you do this, it will void all your warrantys  . Its just for informational purposes only. 

http://reocities.com/heartland/pines/7557/overdrv1.html

5. Is it your search words, or the actual search function?

And you know you can search websites using google.com correct? I actually prefer it over most in site searches.

Use this query :

site: forum.grasscity.com "search parameters here"

Remember to remove the quotes above, unless you're looking for that exact phrase.

6. #6 jayjay5396, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
    im just looking for a cheap way to start seeds off i know they need more light as they get older but if i could save some energy for the seedling process that would be nice, and i put my own question in the search box it didnt find anything not even this thread 

7. You need to use keywords and search more general things if a specific can't be found. Search engines work best when you use them properly, typing a question out is usually not a good route to go

8. #8 Doc-J, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Single tube kitchen lights are generally not worth a crap. The same goes for the small single tube floros you see sold at box stores labeled as grow lights and incandescents labeled as plant lights. All freaking junk that wont grow well.

A little floro edumacation:
    With tube lights, the lower the number the better.
    T12 = very poor lighting for the size bulb, very low lumen output
    T8 = Slightly better, still not great
    T5 = Now you are starting to get somewhere, more lumen output than both the others if using the same length bulb
    T5HO = Best bang for the buck in tube floros. Double the wattage of a standard t5 with higher output. Reasonably affordable fixtures and bulbs.
    T5Vho = Even higher output than t5ho. However they put off a good bit of heat and cost is much higher for fixtures and bulbs. Used more in salt water aquarium setups for live coral. Never see them mentioned on grow forums, i suspect that it is because by the time you consider cost hid is much cheaper.

If you only want to start one or two plants, some people use cfl. You want bright white or daylight bulbs for veg, not soft white. If on the package it has a k rating, such as 3000k, or 5500k then you want the higher number. This reflects the color spectrum as rated by the kelvin scale. Higher numbers are more blue spectrums and brighter light, like spring and summer. Lower numbers are closer to red and orange spectrums, like late summer and fall thus they are better for flower production. The color spectrum thing is true no matter what type of lighting regardless if it is cfl, t5, or hid.

If you want to start more than one or two plants i would recomend a t5ho setup. The more bulbs and larger size the better.

9. VHO is not commonly mentioned on forums, but is BY FAR, the best grow light option out there. Especially because you can mix spectrums with them.

10. Best is a subjective term. They put off near as much heat as an hid setup, fixture prices are way too high, and in the end they dont have the penetration of hid lighting. Best of the floros sure but you might as well spend less for better lighting.

11. has great penetration from what I've seen. partly because you can get the lights closer to the tops than an HID. sure it's the same amount of heat, but it's spread out more....mannn

12. Great penetration compared to other floros yes but nothing like an hid. Even in reef tanks, past a certain depth they are ineffective and people that need more penetration go with hid lighting.

Spread out more or not doesnt really matter, heat is heat. The main cost comes with having to increase ventilation, which your going to have to do any way indoors. My t5vho fixtures had built in fans and would still get too hot to touch.

Yes you can get them much closer if your talking open reflectors. I can get my hid down to 12" away and still have canopy temps at 78. With good cooling, the couple of inches closer you can get the floros isnt enough to make more productive.

Im not saying they suck by any means, they are awesome floros. They have been around quite a while though, and if they were really the best in terms of yield vs time spent you would see large grow ops running huge rooms of them. However that just isnt the case.

13. interesting. the thing i like about them mostly is the complete elimination of hotspots, which is frequently an issue for me. of course that just has to do with the reflectors i use. I've just seen mindblowing quality come out of them. and i don't worry much about penetration personally because i usually grow sog or scrog, so the canopy is never too thick. I suppose it depends on your growing style whether to go vho or HID