Will a black light work

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Grassmann1, Oct 8, 2003.

1. oh i think i get the point now that black lights dont work

2. i am a noob at growing and i was wondering what amount of lights and watts would i have to have for like 1 or 2 plants

3. Google is def. a good place to look for info...all kinds of dif. views though...

4. someone asked about halogens. i tried a 1000 watt halogen lamp on a female that i had taken out of flowering due to space constraints. it made the plant grow enormously fast but the leaves were deformed and it grew tons and tons of growth terminals. it really freaked out the plant and made it grow weird. stay away from them unless you just want to use them for a supplimental light for visibility in your grow room.

5. i read that u can use a black light for flowering to produce fatter buds........... :smoking:

6. where'd you read that?

7. I've been reading here for quite some time now, just never registered.

Instead of Bashing on the guy for asking a question everyone asked why not explain to him why it does not work..... Yes there are 100's if not 1000's of this same question but none actually go into detail.

1.. Yes HPS etc is the way to grow...why???? because people like you say so, perhaps you all have stocks in these lights.

He is trying to start here, he doenst need to go out and buy expensive stuff just yet.

Black Lites DO WORK, at least they do whats needed, and thats give the plants UV light (all plants need UV light to grow properly, the sun puts out UV-A non harmful, UV-B & UV-C light which is VERY harmfull) Doesnt matter what UV type is transmitted but the plan needs UV light.

Flourescents give off VERY little UV, so telling him just flourescents your wrong as well because the plant will grow VERY slowly and only really grow a little faster if you put it out in the sun every day.

If he plans on making a spot for this grow and not have to keep bringing the plant outside everyday he can use a blacklight or 2 (I use 3 x 75watt in my 5'x3'x8' high closet) to simulate the suns UV-A light.

HPS and MH requires Ventilation to keep heat down, also requires certain distance from plant top to stop them from burning, in other words constantly checking on your plants for burn marks etc etc.

in my grow area which works GREAT! and very quickly is very simple setup, 2 x 2ft flourescents and 3x75w black lights, room is at a constant 72 degrees and my soil is regular potting soil mixed with Cow Dung and Guano from local bat cave.

I also have a 10x10 outside growing and cloning with HPS and MH and those plants grow no where as fast as the setup inside, i dont know if its temperature or not but im sure the extra UV inside has alot to do with it (none of the setups see sunlight)

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. ummm...

how much real research have you done about UV light?.

Not flaming....but all the research Ive done stated differently....

Plants use UV to help fight disease...BUT...... the amount required is so little that adding UV per'se is usually harmful.

actually most all light spectrum papers Ive read strive to reduce any UV at any cost. Nasa has almost two decades of light research for contained plant growth you may want to read. Run a google search...

that leads me to believe blacks light would hardly have an effect and could be harmful.

• Like Like x 1
  9. If UV light was harmful to plants every plant outside would be dead by now because of the amount of UV the sun puts out.

There is UVA, UVB and UVC, sun puts out all three and the UVB and UVC are the only harmful ones (causes skin cancer in humans) UVA is not harmful. UV provides Vitamin D3, which all plants and Reptiles require for healthy growth.

In fact your using UV as well, its the reason your using Flourescent bulb / MH / HPS instead of Incandecent bulbs, as incandecent puts out so little UV it does nothing for the plant.

Nasa cant stop a piece of foam from flying off, i would not use them as a reference if i were you.

10. [quote name='

Nasa cant stop a piece of foam from flying off, i would not use them as a reference if i were you.[/QUOTE']

LOL....sounds like you want newbes to chase their tails.

Im fully aware of the three types of UV...plants reflect light spectrums above what is required....which is why humans can get skin cancer an plants ...dont...its also why the sun doesnt over power plantlife.

please dont tell me plants need a ton of green spectrum to be green.

Your NASA quote tells me everything I will ever need to know of your opinion...good luck with your black lights...30 years of growing an researching light spectrums has obviously taught me nothing..

maybe your third post will give us the reason for life itself...

11. Don't you mean, Meaning of Life?

No plants dont need Green Spectrum of like they need Lots of Blue and Red for healthy fast growth. Look it up.

12. LOL....well if you cant understand simple sarcasum, how would you ever expect anyone to believe you understand light spectrums....especially over 685 nm...

like I said good luck with your blacklights.

13. Why would you grow with black lights anyways...
    they are only good for finding cum stains on carpets :rolleyes: (dont ask) and for fishing to see your line at night or to see black velvet posters from the 70's and 80's remember that guyfrom70's...cheep shop lights work better if you want to grow that way..... better than black .

14. i crack up every time i see this thread (or a similarly named one) in the listings again =)

15. ^^^^^ me too......lol.....+ rep for bringing it up..

16. I have seen a kids closet grow where he took a plant that was 1 foot tall to flowering using 4 black lights. Most cheap black lights at spencers are floros with a purple coating over the glass. Its a WAY worthless way to grow and ignorant to say the least but some kids have done it. READ UP!!

17. All i gotta say is Dierwolf aint dumb... and everything he says has probly been tested to get the awnser he gives you.... other wise he would be just like most people out there who really dont know but talk like they them selfs have tested it and no for a fact it dont work... I mean just think of all the people out there who dont beleave shit just because it dont sound or look right to them.. They never get no were... They wait for 1 million people to know it b4 they learn it.

18. I can't believe all the people who say HPS and MH are THE WAY TO GO!!!! You can build yourself an amazing light rack out of t8 flouros (512w) for under 100 dollars. They give off less heat than HPS and MH, plus you can put your plants right up to them! There used to be a guy named DubPhiend on overgrow, and he was master of all flouro. He converted many a grower to "the dark side" aka fluoros. My next cab is going to be a dual chamber 1024 w 48" T8 setup(did i mention full spectrum? -not quite, but a nice array of bulbs with different spectrums). I have a thread about it in growroom designs and setup. I should have my grow going by June, so if you remember, come check it out and see the magic fluoros can do. The point of this was to open people's minds to cheaper, possibly better ways of growing. Hope some of you become more lenient to fluoros.:D

Peace and stay blazed:smoke:
    Nugz

19. This is funny cause I asked the same exact question almost 4 years ago when I joined this site. I guess the blacklight myth will never die......

20. i agree to only use 1 plant per sq ft any more then that you will over crowd your plants and lights gonna get block from other areas of the plants