Will a black light work

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Grassmann1, Oct 8, 2003.

1. From the beginning of this argument my point has ALWAYS been about the spores. Always.

I have given you articles from health journals and Wikipedia. You have given me one link to a half baked pseudo study lacking in a control and detail or any follow up studies.

This debate is DONE.

Oh and PM conditions are pretty damn hard to avoid in any grow.

"Conditions Favoring Powdery Mildew
    High relative humidity at night Low relative humidity during day 70-80F (22-27C) temperatures (These conditions prevail in spring and fall)"

Powdery Mildew

"Metal Gear!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. And mine has been that, you can kill mold, and spores with UVC. If u dont fix your conditions then you're fucked. And no I posted 2 links one to a research study, showing the effectiveness, and one to a high times article confirming it.
    You posted a link to an HVAC construction company, that has nothing to do with plants. Zero, none.
    Good airflow will keep PWM at bay. No problems. Its whe you have stagnant air you have a problem.

3. #303 Frasier, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Ffs....

The HighTimes article was sourcing the pseudo study article. Not confirming it but using it as a source.

The HVAC article has everything to do with this because the SPORES for PM fungus will at some point pass through the UV system installed in it but will not be destroyed.

Thank you for playing goodnight.

5/0.

"Metal Gear!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. I think Blacklight is rated at UVC which is redundant.. If you are going the UV route in the final 2 weeks of flower then you need UVB which freaks the plant out into producing more THC crystals "as sun/uv protection" (bonus for us) and UVA which you use in a slightly weaker dosage and this exerts more CBD2 and some other flavor and strength profiles within the plant - But no Blacklight.

FS

5. Is this a adult grow forum or 3rd grade?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  6. #308 Carni, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Why is this thread pinned

Can I get vitamin D from grow lights?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Certainly u can. Not as primary but as a uva.
    I have a bunch of Sansi black lights but there widebanded 390nm peak. Not real blacklights being led n all. Screenshot_20210420-135356_Google.jpg

8. Sure at a high price. Not enough will cause some major stretch too. They're best used at sunrise & sunset.

9. Till you start blowing it all around. Then it's a lose lose situation. Plants do Not like to be in a room blasting Ozone generator. I run that in the sealed room for 16-24 hrs after the full bleach clean. Exhaust, them plants enter.

10. This is a great thread for a newbie grower, see where things have come from 2003 when sharing information by the 'uberwaves' was in its infancy (never mind UV!).

As a medic I feel I can help with your question. You can't get Vitamin D from any kind of light - what light does do is allow the vitamin D ingested through diet (and to some extent reserves stored) to be converted by the liver into a form that is bioavailable in the body and henceforth allowing calcium to be regulated. This process does also rely on the kidneys being up to snuff which is why those with chronic kidney disease (and other kinds of disease) are more at risk of osteoporosis.

Saying all that UV-B does allow this hydroxylation and enzymatic action to proceed so yes bathing under the right grow light would give you the benefit of all that milk in your diet. It would also give you a tan. Or sunburn. Left unchecked it would probably give you cancer.

11. Good question.
    "This is a great thread for a newbie grower"
    This is a terrible thread. Stickied threads should have useful information within the first post (or page). The first post is a question, the rest of the thread is worthless meandering. How UV is beneficial to humans means diddly squat for cannabis plants.

12. The caveat to using UV is to get rid of any exposed plastic water lines with pressure.
    I had the UV "bleach out" a 1/4" water line and it cracked and leaked a few gallons before I caught it.