will a $4 timer work?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by specialk916, Mar 28, 2010.

1. my friend told me the cheap $4 timer i got from walmart will burn out, is this true? will running less than 200w of cfls burn it out?

2. I dunno, I have the digital one from the home depot that costs 15 bucks and it works great.

3. No you are fine. If you are planning to plug a ballast into it thats another story. 200w is also very small amount. You are only drawing 1.6 amps threw that timer, I eat 1.6amps for breakfast. Peace out :smoke:

4. i heard if ya running over 400w ona timer a contactor is needed, but i use a shitty3 quid timer for 300 watts and its all good.

5. At Home Depot they sell a "Heavy Duty" timer that says is ok to use with air conditioners. The average AC is close to 1000W or more, so im not concerned about my 400w light bulb. The AC also draws allot more current at that wattage as well. Just make sure your timer has a ground prong and giver er!

6. i do recommend tho if your using cheap timers ya change em every grow so they dont burn out or burn ya house down lol