Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Wildwills Glycerin Tincture How-To

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by WildWill, Aug 22, 2010.

1. I followed every step to the letter, hun. I even PM'd WildWill before I made mine to ask him some questions and ensure I made no mistakes. I used almost an oz of ground up regs, but only the shake and little buds. There were no seeds or stems in my mix. I poured a 16oz bottle of food grade glycerin into my crockpot, set it to low, stirred in the cannabis, and put the cover on. Then I went back every hour, sometimes twice an hour, and stirred it. I did this for eight hours. After eight hours, I let it cool for about 15 minutes. By then it was still very runny, but cool enough that I could squeeze out the cheesecloth without burning my hands. Then I strained the mixture through cheesecloth, and bottled it.

2. Shit....sounds like you did everything right to me.....you checked the temps and everything? Thats the only thing I can think of....shit, thats a bummer though! I just ruined a batch of Alcohol tincture myself=/ Planning on giving it a go with glycerin very soon.

3. I will admit that I didn't gage the temperature at any time. However, at no point did the mixture seem to be sticking to the pot like it was trying to burn. It doesn't have a burned smell or taste to it either. But that's not to say that the temperature didn't make the difference whether too hot or not hot enough.

4. Naaah...the directions aren't that complicated, there's a lot of "fudge factor" involved.

5. True, true. I just saw one person post how they did it and it sounded totally bogus to me, that's why i said that.....but anyways, thanks for the recipe WildWill, Always a pleasure! Ill let you guys know how this goes for me

6. Mine turned out ok, but I think we are not getting it hot enoughf. I recently did canna caps BTW FREAKIN AWSOME, anyways the temp on that is 300 and thc dosnt go away tell 365 and I belive only 2 hours should be needed and im sure im going to get flamed for this oh and YOU HAVE TO stablize your temp and know the device. I spent hours getting the temp right. My next batch will be ran at 300 for 2 hours.

7. #107 kwaione, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
    did not join to spam was just trying to help others out, I have a gallon left over of pure glycerin I use to make my E-Cig liquid, sorry to bother you...

8. Get out of here! You just joined to spam our thread boooooo...

9. Sorry was not my intentions..

Alexander

10. What about this question?

11. "freshie freshertons" what is that? I googled it and came up with nothing. :smoke:

12. Hahahaha=p He means fresh buds man.

:smoke:

13. #113 BadKittySmiles, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
    Pearl, did you use your crock pot lid for your glycerine tincture?

If it came out a lot thicker than it went in, it sounds to me like you burned a lot of the potency off. Glycerine is an alternative to propylene glycol for the vaporizer 'vehicle' in e-cigs. When set to a temperature that is high enough, while a lot of steam is allowed to escape, the essential oils you're extracting will often be the first to burn off, with the escaping liquid glycerine.
    This is why it's somewhat successful for vaporizing (I use my glycerine tinct. in my vape occasionally, not as nice as hash or buds, but a little goes a looong way).

The best advice I can give for a successful heat extraction, is to use a (solid but slightly ventilated) lid on your crock pot or double boiler, and a candy thermometer to ensure your temps aren't getting too high.

I heat-process gently for up to a week, but leave it off entirely over night. During the day, I'm constantly adjusting the heat (by adjusting, I mean that I turn it on and off; with only three settings available I boost it on high to start the day, shut it off, then only use low to keep it going).

Shared this photo in the 3oz Comp thread in the grow area the other day, preparing for the holidays with this summers harvest, I usually dedicate about 1lb of buds to various tinctures and green dragons, plus that or more in frosty trim.. in the fall, any given day in my kitchen looks something like this:

[​IMG]
    (I generally don't use the 1800 itself for extractions, too weak on its own for me, but I've hung on to about 20 empty bottles since they're useful :) )

*edited to add: even with the lid on, if the temps are too high, vapor can and does escape... I'd mentioned earlier, it sounds like her tincture came out a little too thick, unfortunately that does mean that some of it has evaporated and boiled off, as the lids are made to allow some steam to escape, to prevent injury. It may be weaker than anticipated, but it should still have some effect. To salvage it to some degree, you can always combine it with a future fresh batch, or even with an alcohol extraction for an even greater effect. Hope this helps :)

14. :confused: I'm confused. Hopefully we can all collaborate and figure out what went wrong for Pearl so she doesn't have to waste her time and bud (Along with the rest of us as well).

However, I do have high hopes for this recipe. Let's do work! :hello:

15. I have not given up on this batch. I can't swallow it as is. I just can't stomach it. I got it down once with hot tea, and kept it down, but each attempt since has been an epic failure. Total barfsville! So...I am going to town tomorrow to pick up some gel caps, and I'm going to make capsules out of this stuff. I have to figure out a way to hold it down before I can truly say I get nothing out of it. I know when I drank the tea, about 40 minutes later I noticed my limbs felt warm and heavy, but there was no overwhelming effects that made me go, "Ah, there it is. It's working." This is what I get from good edibles. I think it is because I didn't take enough of it. I honestly couldn't! So to be fair, I am going to report back on this in a couple of days after I've tried the capsule method.

Thank you all so much for your help, advice, and concern. I truly appreciate it. :)

And WildWill, I apologize for kinda hijacking your thread a bit, especially since it was on the negative side. I am certain that your recipe works, and that if something is wrong with my tincture, it is for some mistake I made, and not you. Thank you again for sharing this with us. I am sure I will get it right eventually.

16. Lets hope so! I doubt anyone wants you puking and not being able to down your medicine=/

17. No worries Pearl, I just want your tincture to come out for ya!

TO answer the question about using fresh bud, no I have not done this entirely. I've only ever used Vapor-Poo, though I have in earlier batches, mixted in some fresh low-grade shake.

The first batch I ever made I used the old put it in a mason jar and let it sit for 3 months method, and while the tincture was excellent, it TOOK THREE MONTHS!

I wanted a method that was faster. I find the low-setting on the crock pot works wonders.

18. Once I get my funds in order I'll do a step by step journal and try to recreate what you've presented to us here, WildWill. Should be within a week or so.

19. I failed :mad: 12 oz glycerin to 18gs. Ive eaten a TBS and its really weak. I saw a comment that if it was a lot thicker than when you started the temp may have been to high and Im suspecting that was the issue. It tastes great though, I added a few drops of peppermint oil. Im gonna reuse this glycerin and add another 14gs and see what happens.

20. Very cool. I took a break from the city for a while (no real reason) and was googling around about tinc's and this popped up. Great info, I started mine about 5 days ago and im going with the long version of 2-3 months. This morning when i went to shake it up a lil bit i noticed that the glycerin has pretty much been absorbed but the weed. think i should add more? I used 1oz of quality trimmings with approx 10oz glycerin because that was about 1/2" of glycerin above the top of the weed.